Glock Talk banner

Unreliable Glock?

11334 Views 92 Replies 72 Participants Last post by  srjdsmith
So, I’m a Glock guy. I really like the two I have, but I have a question. Actually, it’s been asked before but lots of models have been introduced.

In choosing an every day carry, my first criterion is that it will shoot and cycle every. Time. I. Pull. The. Trigger. No jams. No misfeeds. No stovepipes. No light primer hits. Just bang and cycle another live round into battery. After that, I have to be able to shoot it- it has to be accurate enough and I have to be able to be accurate enough with it. For me the G43 (for sub compact) and G30s (for compact) do just that.

But
1) my son doesn’t like my G43,
2) wants a .45,
3) I don’t want him to get an XDs,
4) wants sub compact or as close as he can get,
5) and he doesn’t like the S&W.

But he’s heard that the G36 is the least ‘reliable’ of the Glocks. Any truth to this? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
So, I’m a Glock guy. I really like the two I have, but I have a question. Actually, it’s been asked before but lots of models have been introduced.

In choosing an every day carry, my first criterion is that it will shoot and cycle every. Time. I. Pull. The. Trigger. No jams. No misfeeds. No stovepipes. No light primer hits. Just bang and cycle another live round into battery. After that, I have to be able to shoot it- it has to be accurate enough and I have to be able to be accurate enough with it. For me the G43 (for sub compact) and G30s (for compact) do just that.

But
2) wants a .45,

But he’s heard that the G36 is the least ‘reliable’ of the Glocks. Any truth to this? Suggestions?

Between my husband and myself, we own 4 glock pistols, one g43, 2 g19s, and whatever the glock 45 semiauto. I’m a petit female and for my first concealed weapon I chose the g43 because of its reliability and how simple it was to shoot. It was the more expensive option from the other 9mms available to me but it fit me and my needs better than the rest. I’ve had it now for about two years and have probably run +500 rounds through it with absolutely no issues at all. I did go back and purchase a glock 19 for its extra ammo capability for home defense and absolutely love it. It is bigger than the 43 and I’m short framed, and so it is probably not a good choice for me for concealment but it is great otherwise. I would not part with either of them. My husband loved my 19 and was so jealous of it that I bought him one too for his birthday. You cannot go wrong with the g19 or the g43. I would not suggest getting the aftermarket mag extenders for the 43 because it makes the slide too difficult to rack back, at least it did for me.

· Registered
90 Posts

But
2) wants a .45,

· Registered
90 Posts
Yes! I sold my 36 years ago, I'm not a limp wrister

But
2) wants a .45,

· Registered
90 Posts

But
2) wants a .45,

· Registered
8,591 Posts
But
2) wants a .45,

No such thing as an 'unreliable' Glock. Just operators.

Now my adult children make their own decisions. So eventually he needs to figure things out for himself.

· Registered
7,536 Posts
I had function problems with a new one 4-5 years ago. Glock took it back and I got a 26. In retrospect, it never malfunctioned with quality SD ammo. Only with regular target ammo. According to some of the trusted ones here, Mass Ayoob, and Hickock, most "off the shelf target ammo" is under powered. I would stiff arm and lock wrist to shoot and still have problems. I liked the pistol but just couldn't trust it. For some reason, that one wanted some extra uumph. I'd buy another if I needed it.

· USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,622 Posts
Turns out it was limp wristing all along. I was holding the G36 the same way I hold my Glock 30 and this caused my problems. My old arthritic hands are not what they once were.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Lots of good help here! I don’t know how close my son Is to making a decision, but a lot of what is in this thread echoes other things he has heard. I think he may go with an XDs and ‘suffer along’ with my 30s until he’s proven the Springfield enough to start trusting it as an EDC.

For some guys here; I’m sad that you don’t seem to have a good trust relationship where you can talk things over with your kids, but my son and I talk a lot and give advice and help each other think things through. Right now I’m deer hunting with a rig I absolutely love- but I hadn’t even considered it or known about it until my son suggested looking into it. For you, I’d give the opposite advice- maybe spend more time talking things over with your kids, you never know you might learn something.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.