Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Perhaps I should clarify. I carry Hornady Critical Defense in .45 and I do most practice with Winchester white box ball ammo, in the 9mm I carry Winchester D and practice with Winchester T or white box. Never a single problem with either.

Also, the gun is for him. I’ll help him buy it and make suggestions, but ultimately he will have to choose what’s best for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walther PPS or Sig 365

Do not get an XD. It’s Croat garbage.

· State of Jefferson Resident
764 Posts
Never had any issues with my G36 gen3, goes bang every time. The only reason that I no longer carry it is the 6+1 capacity. I have heard of people having feeding issues trying to use extended mags.

· NRA Member
791 Posts
My 36 is reliable and the recoil isn’t that bad. But I carry a 19 which has similar dimensions, is only a touch wider and carries 9 more rounds. My 19 and 36 both fit perfect in the same kydex holster made for a 19.

· Banned
12,952 Posts
Glock 36 functions just fine. If the gun is for your son than why are you so set on him not getting an XDs? Is it for him or you? Does your son lack the competence to choose for himself? Because if he is legally incompetent or extremely stupid but not adjudicated incompetent than he should not have a gun. If he is competent than he should pick his own gun.

· State of Jefferson Resident
764 Posts
My 36 is reliable and the recoil isn’t that bad. But I carry a 19 which has similar dimensions, is only a touch wider and carries 9 more rounds. My 19 and 36 both fit perfect in the same kydex holster made for a 19.
I've found that my 23, 26 and 36 will all fit in the same holsters. The only outcast is my G29sf it's such a fat a$$ in the slide, that it needs it's own dedicated holster.

· Registered
55 Posts
I have two Springfield’s, and XDS .45 and an XD9SC (gen1). They are both great guns- reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot, but i will never buy another, and won’t recommend them. When Springfield decided to sell out to the corrupt anti-gun politicians here in IL they lost my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
28,106 Posts
:elephant:

· Registered
600 Posts
Well, if he doesn't want a G36, why not just a 30 or 30s?
Not a single stack, but SC + .45

I recently converted a friend of mine, whom own a SF XD45 to Glock. Not sure if he will get rid of his XD, or just keep it. But, WIN!

· Registered
3,183 Posts
I have always heard about reliability issues with them. Personally for me, the gun doesn’t feel good in hand. The front-to-backstrap length is goofy. It just never felt right in hand. I much prefer my G30s and it hold more rounds to boot. Especially if I use my 9-round flush or Pearce G29 Pinkie mags.

Reactions: srjdsmith

· Registered
4,887 Posts
Feeling the need to carry a .45 in this day and age is honestly just a lack of information. Expensive practice ammo, lack of capacity, excessive recoil for the terminal ballistics it provides. It’s hoakey hold-over wisdom from the days of ball ammo. If one really feels the need for a death ray, look at the .357 sig.

Not to say the .45 acp isn’t a fine caliber, and perhaps the most accurate handgun caliber. I’d just encourage your son to try out a few different guns and do research before getting too hung up on wanting to carry a 45.

· Registered
137 Posts
I bought a 36 to go with my brand new CCW permit in 2001. It almost made me wipe the word GLOCK from my vocabulary! The only unreliable GLOCK I’ve owned to date and I’ve owned plenty by now.
Now remember this whole “ World Wide Web” things really was not that big a deal back then so we got our info from magazines so everything we learned was a month or two old! Anyway I took it to my LGS after a couple months of frustration and he introduced me to my first G19 as an even trade and I haven’t looked back since!
I’ll admit it took my young proud .45 shooting ego a bit to adjust to “ that little round” but as we get older we start thinking more and “ feeling” less...
Oops old guy ramble...
Ok back on track. A partner of mine bought a new 36 in ‘11 and as far as I know it’s been 100% reliable over 7000 rounds or so. Oh and about the WWW thing. I read on it years later that the 36 stumbled out of the blocks but was turned around real quick.

· Registered
621 Posts
I was hoping you had hands-on experience to pass along.

The guy in the video acknowledged it's an acceptable gun (more than once) but isn't right for him. Lots of anecdotal info.

I own several XD-based guns and several Glocks. It's fair to say I'm a fan boy of both. My XDs have been 100% reliable over the course of many years.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.