Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m a Glock guy. I really like the two I have, but I have a question. Actually, it’s been asked before but lots of models have been introduced.

In choosing an every day carry, my first criterion is that it will shoot and cycle every. Time. I. Pull. The. Trigger. No jams. No misfeeds. No stovepipes. No light primer hits. Just bang and cycle another live round into battery. After that, I have to be able to shoot it- it has to be accurate enough and I have to be able to be accurate enough with it. For me the G43 (for sub compact) and G30s (for compact) do just that.

But
1) my son doesn’t like my G43,
2) wants a .45,
3) I don’t want him to get an XDs,
4) wants sub compact or as close as he can get,
5) and he doesn’t like the S&W.

But he’s heard that the G36 is the least ‘reliable’ of the Glocks. Any truth to this? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps I should clarify. I carry Hornady Critical Defense in .45 and I do most practice with Winchester white box ball ammo, in the 9mm I carry Winchester D and practice with Winchester T or white box. Never a single problem with either.

Also, the gun is for him. I’ll help him buy it and make suggestions, but ultimately he will have to choose what’s best for him.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Don't you think this choice would best be left up to your son, and not you?? You're not doing him any favors by making choices for him.

Glock pistols can fill certain nichés, but they're far far from the end-all, so please let your son decide for himself what he likes and needs.
Sorry, but, that’s exactly what I said? It’s his decision, but we talk things over and help each other. What fits my hand and eye may have nothing to do with what fits him. I love my Glocks, but he doesn’t. We are worried about some things we have heard about the reliability of both the G36 and the XDs. Obviously, some of every kind of gun work and some don’t. My question was ‘what have others heard or experienced?’ There are some people here who ‘confirm’ that there were some early problems, but the fact remains that he doesn’t like Glocks, and he doesn’t like the way a S&W handles, and he’s got concerns about XDs reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Wow. Thanks for a lot of thoughtful responses. Here’s what I got:
1) G36 seems to have had ‘legit’ issues in the early runs but have addressed them- but he still doesn’t like Glocks <snif>
2) The push of a .45 in a tiny piece (performance and shootability) needs to be considered no matter the make- he just really likes .45
3) There’s no real need to worry about the XDs (except the capacity and that applies to a lot of EDC options) so buy one, run 1000 rounds and if it works, it works.
4) Maybe save a few more pennies and look at Sig, Kimber...

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Lots of good help here! I don’t know how close my son Is to making a decision, but a lot of what is in this thread echoes other things he has heard. I think he may go with an XDs and ‘suffer along’ with my 30s until he’s proven the Springfield enough to start trusting it as an EDC.

For some guys here; I’m sad that you don’t seem to have a good trust relationship where you can talk things over with your kids, but my son and I talk a lot and give advice and help each other think things through. Right now I’m deer hunting with a rig I absolutely love- but I hadn’t even considered it or known about it until my son suggested looking into it. For you, I’d give the opposite advice- maybe spend more time talking things over with your kids, you never know you might learn something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.