Glock Talk banner
161 - 180 of 236 Posts
Dude, I would so take him up on his offer to let me check out his SBR Full-auto rifle. These guys are idjits for wasting as much time as they did.

If cops all across the country started offering to let open carriers handle their toys there would be an explosion of open carry!

Discussion starter · #163 ·
Question for cops dealing with OCs. (Cops only, please!)

If you approached an OC while responding to a MWAG report, and the OCer says in a respectful tone of voice, something like, "Sir, I understand your concerns and need to investigate. With that in mind, I'm not looking for trouble. If I may point out that open carry is lawful. That said, how can I help you?"

This is a two parter: 1st one, there is no recording. 2nd one, there is recording, but the OCer says (again, in a respectful tone of voice) something like, "I do want to be upfront and let you know that I'm recording.

If you approached an OC while responding to a MWAG report, and the OCer says in a respectful tone of voice, something like, "Sir, I understand your concerns and need to investigate. With that in mind, I'm not looking for trouble. If I may point out that open carry is lawful. That said, how can I help you?"

This is a two parter: 1st one, there is no recording. 2nd one, there is recording, but the OCer says (again, in a respectful tone of voice) something like, "I do want to be upfront and let you know that I'm recording.
Here in Ohio, open carry is not unlawful per se. We get a few people here and there open carrying on their property or what have you, that's never bothered me. Here it is almost an absolute that their are guns EVERYWHERE.

I've went to several homes for calls of service and end up with a show and tell from the homeowner. There's some cool stuff here.

Open carrying an AR or something of that nature in a shopping center parking lot will get you a second and closer look, likely due to this:

2917.11 Disorderly conduct.
(A) No person shall recklessly cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm to another by doing any of the following:

(5) Creating a condition that is physically offensive to persons or that presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property, by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender.

No lawful or reasonable purpose of the offender.

What exactly is your lawful and reasonable purpose to carry an assault rifle in a parking lot or what have you?

Yes, I understand your second amendment rights and all that. Mama and her two little kids don't deserve to see that when they go to the McDonald's play place.

This has been discussed at length with supervisors and our prosecutors, each of them, given the circumstances, would have no issue with an arrest under those circumstances.

Wear as many guns as you want, wear them concealed the way it should be done.

Sent from my PKE meter.

Discussion starter · #165 ·
Wear as many guns as you want, wear them concealed the way it should be done.
Good advice. Please understand that I think OC is a bad idea, even if the law of the area permits it.

I should have added to the question, open carry is legal in your neck of the woods.

I compare OCers to the assorted conspiracy theorists. The 1st Amendment protects the right to be an idjit, but that does not make being an idjit a good idea.

There's no need to tell the cop OC is legal. He/she almost guaranteed knows better in that regard than the activist.

I couldn't care less whether I was being recorded or not, or whether they told me. I don't typically tell people I am recording them.

To expand a little on Ohio Copper's response. Ohio law also allows us to identify people when conducting an investigation. So, whether it is "reasonable, articulable suspicion," or an actual complaint I guarantee that at the very least I will know whether they have entered warrants, or a Civil Protection Order precluding them from possessing firearms.

This is probably why you don't see many of these type of videos from our state. :supergrin:

Why are you here again? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and have demonstrated it twice in this thread alone.
Didn't you know? Give an "activist" an internet connection, and Google, and suddenly they're a law expert.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

Why are you here again? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and have demonstrated it twice in this thread alone.
How so?

Just because a person is a cop doesn't make them a walking law book. I've met my fair share of LEOs that have a very thin knowledge of laws basically enough to get the job done. I had LEOs in North Carolina when I was stationed there straight tell me that it's illegal to OC anywhere in the state :faint:

As for the Texas ID law I quoted actual Texas law straight from the Penal Code and no where did it say I had to provide an ID card :dunno: It simply stated I had to provide the info of Name, DOB, and Address to an officer didn't say I had to provide a card to do so.

HAHA I agree with that. The 3 kids= ******rs. Not illegal but they were. Cop=very professional and I liked his knowledge of the laws.

But there are times where cops are ******rs too. It happens.

How so?

Just because a person is a cop doesn't make them a walking law book. I've met my fair share of LEOs that have a very thin knowledge of laws basically enough to get the job done. I had LEOs in North Carolina when I was stationed there straight tell me that it's illegal to OC anywhere in the state :faint:

As for the Texas ID law I quoted actual Texas law straight from the Penal Code and no where did it say I had to provide an ID card :dunno: It simply stated I had to provide the info of Name, DOB, and Address to an officer didn't say I had to provide a card to do so.
I never commented on Texas ID law :dunno:. Nor did I ever state cops are "walking law books." However, open carry is a simple concept and I don't know any cops that don't understand the laws that pertain to it in their jurisdictions. Hell, even in the few legitimate "poh leese behaving badly" youtube videos, the issue is almost never that the officer doesn't know whether or not OC is illegal but rather doesn't articulate reasonable suspicion for the stop very well. Furthermore, even in those videos in which the cop screws something up, the activist is almost always wrong about some part of the law. I stand by my statement that the average cop almost guaranteed knows better than the "activist" whether OC is legal or illegal.

I brought it up because I was trying to figure out the 2 times you are referencing in this thread where I had no idea what I was talking about. That's the only other thing I Could think of in this thread.

Discussion starter · #178 ·
OC Idiot/Street Lawyer: "Under ORS 166.xxx it's illegal for me to possess it and handle it..."

Officer: "No it's not."

Gentlemen, school is in session. :supergrin:

I'll admit, I looked further at his videos (no idea why, maybe because I'm curious as to what my fellow Oregonians are up to), but his interaction with Bend PD was even better.

You thought the OP's video was professional, Bend PD's performances was spectacular, and the officer even suggested that he consider "the other ramifications of [his] actions." Really well done.
There is a GT member who also posts to an Oregon OC site where some of the dooshiest OCers post -- meaning the snotty ones who seek out confrontations with cops so they and put them up on youtube.

The GT poster gets very heated with these kids because they are giving the OC people in particular and gun people in general a bad name.

They are too stupid to understand that they are hurting others.

There is a GT member who also posts to an Oregon OC site where some of the dooshiest OCers post -- meaning the snotty ones who seek out confrontations with cops so they and put them up on youtube.

The GT poster gets very heated with these kids because they are giving the OC people in particular and gun people in general a bad name.

They are too stupid to understand that they are hurting others.
Invite them to Ohio for me! Downtown Columbus would be a nice place to start. :whistling:

Discussion starter · #180 ·
With the number of staged OC confrontations in the last year, it makes me wonder how long until they round a corner and surprise the wrong citizen(s), or they get rolled by some thugs, and get killed.

Remember the two idiots running around on the street corner with a replica RPG. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1dd_1348672642&comments=1

Really, what's the difference between the two. :dunno:
I'd say only the degree of jackassery.

161 - 180 of 236 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.