close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unplug the Toaster?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FPS, Feb 25, 2010.

1. FPS

FPS

I have a few friends that always unplug the toaster after they use it. They say the toaster can easily catch fire and burn down the house. I always leave the toaster plugged in. So far, no fire in my house.

So, do you unlug the toaster as a precaution?

2. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

I do.

I once had a toaster (toaster oven actually) turn itself on. :shocked:

I don't unplug anything else.

ML

3. cmwhitt

cmwhitt Fear The Swamp!

I always unplug it more so for the fact that I don't have a big enough kitchen to leave it out all the time...I keep it stored in one of the cupboards with some pots/pans. If the by-product is that it won't burn my house down, then great. :cool:

4. fudd

fudd

Yes I unplug the toaster. I have to in order to put it away. I am not a fan of tools/appliances scattered across a countertop. Tools and/or appliances are not decoration.

5. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

no, never have, never will.

Its kind of retarted. I have never heard of it happening actually.

When I was a boy, we always left it plugged in and no fire.

Mother in law does, only cause she has OCD.

[​IMG]

6. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I unplug the toaster and the can opener. They're used too infrequently...I deem them unnecessary electricity vampires.

As opposed to my TV, DVD player, computer, UVerse Gateway, Uverse TV box, Nintendo Wii....

I believe the term for me is "pragmatic".

-J-

7. Westicle

Westicle Canadian... Eh

yes I unplug the toaster as well, and it is exactly because I fear it will catch on fire.... pretty funny eh.

8. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

The chances of a toaster turning itself on are about the same as a gun 'going off" by itself. Somebody has to pull the trigger to shoot the gun , and somebody has to press the lever to make the circuit in the toaster coils.

Even if the toaster turned itself on, it would turn itself off after it reached the set temperature. My toaster back home is plugged in right now, and has been for about the last 5 or 6 years except for the rare times when I shake the crumbs out of it every 6 months or so.

9. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

Unplug the toaster! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Only for cleaning or if I need the outlet for something else. Do you disconnect the battery in your car so it doesn't start itself up and drive away? :dunno:

10. snorko

snorko NRA Life Member

I also unplug.

I suspect in ye olden times there was a chance of toasters catching fire and it has just carried over.

11. JackDRipper

JackDRipper

Years ago after making lots of toast, the toaster cord must of overheated and caught on fire as we were eating breakfast. I rushed over and unplugged it from the outlet. Since that I always unplug the toaster after using it.
    JR

12. pal2511

pal2511

hahahha funny

13. AZMAN

AZMAN Millennium Member

Many appliances draw power when plugged in but not in use.

14. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yep, when I leave the place unattended. Don't need no stinkin' mouse crawling in there and turning it on by chewing on some wire.

15. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

No! I just take the wheels off.:whistling:

16. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Nope. And if you need more information, please Google "toaster fires" and/or along with the NFPA.

Just dont see "toaster" as the origin to most fires.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  17. Adionik

Adionik

This.

I never leave anything plugged in except the computer/tv. Helps with the light bill

18. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I don't unplug my toaster. It isn't hurting anything by being plugged in.

On the other hand, I do unplug my rice cooker. It has no off switch. Just "cook" and "heat". This has been the "standard" design for non-fancy rice cookers for a long time, and I hate it. :steamed:

Do you have some kind of super-advanced space toaster that sucks phantom power? All my toasters have been simple circuit affairs, not sucking power unless it was actually on.

I know that I'm a person that isn't normal in terms of aesthetics--I'm definitely a "form follows function" kind of guy. Still, I think this is kind of weird.

I'm a guy that always wants tools to go back in their proper place, without exception. To me, appliances are tools... whose place is on the countertop. If I can rib you a bit without being insulting... do you put a doily over your refrigerator when it's closed? :tongueout:

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Most appliances I don't worry about, but a toaster is a different thing entirely because it has heating elements in it that nothing else has. There are few household items I can think of that create heat capable of starting a fire if they malfunction, but a toaster certainly can. Whether the heating elements are operated by cheap mechanical switches or by electronics, either can easily get screwed up and leave the thing turned on until it melts or starts a fire. They just aren't built to be safely left on for hours at a time like a regular oven can be.

I never trusted a toaster, even BEFORE they all came from China, and I certainly don't trust them any more now.

20. doubletap1

doubletap1

I don't leave anything plugged in that doesn't need to be. I also never leave the house with the dishwasher or washing machine/dryer going, AND I turn the valves off on sinks and toilets when leaving even just for overnight. All of these things have bitten me in the past. Call me paranoid, but experience is a good teacher. :supergrin: