Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, in hanging out at the gunshop this week a man brought in his collection to sell. Poor guy discovered he has cancer so he had to liquidate to pay his bills. Bad deal.

I did however buy one of his prizes to give a good home. He had an unfired 6" Ruger GP-100 which had been sitting unopened in his safe since since he bought it early last year. He sold to the guys at the shop so I picked it up and gave a good look over. Definitely unfired and factory mint in appearance. No burn rings, no gas scorching or cutting under top strap, nothing. Unmolested with all papers, etc.

In addition, this was the tightest revolver I have ever examined. End shake, undetectible. Cylinder rotation with hammer cocked ? Maybe a thousanth, if that. Almost undetectible. Cylinder gap ? I could barely get a receipt paper between the forcing cone and cylinder face so about three thousanths. None of the new revolvers from any manufacturer that I have handled recently have been this tight. I was in love. Beautiful gun. :wavey:

Going to run it out at the range this morning and I'll post a range report with a few pics.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
Yeah, the GP100 is a tough and outstanding gun, just like the P tanks that Ruger built.

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
Excellent, congratulations.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I love my 6" KGP, its scary how accurate it is even in my hands. This gun make me wish I had a chrono.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Unplanned purchases are sometimes the best kinds.

I just put a deposit down on a Colt Detective Special last night and will pick it up today when I come back with the cash.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You will enjoy it.

That is the revolver that brought me around to thinking revolvers were maybe ok to own after all.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I'm just in awe over how beefy and sturdily built these things are. No other .357mag that I know of it built to this level of tough. Even with so-so WWB .38 ammo, this thing is sweet accurate. :)

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
congrats on a fine revolver. I have one also in a 6".The trigger in DA mode will get better after shooting the gun.I bought mine brand new and have shot it quite a bit,the trigger is now much less gritty and easier to fire in DA mode.

Mine loves the 125 grain jhp 357 loads,the remington ones.With the guns weight, it has no bite at all shooting those 125 mag loads.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The trigger on mine is really good. I am going to however, take it down and lube it good with some Tetra Gun Grease and then dry fire the heck out of it to make it even smoother. She runs really good. I think I found a great shooter. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I own the same gun, a spring kit will do wonders for the single action pull especially if you got one without much trigger creep, the triggers vary, managed to get 6rds into an 1 1/4" at 15yds out of mine a couple weeks ago. They will shoot. Some of the bulkiness can be attributed to the castings instead of forgings ruger uses for frames, they are an industry leader in casting technology. Read somewhere of a rental GP100 having 1.4 million rds through it. Have many thousands through mine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts