Unlimited Gun ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ede, Sep 11, 2005.

1. ede

ede Bama's Friend

been thinking i'd like to shoot unlimited and drop out of another class. i know i can shoot a stock pistol and i know i'll never be a contender to win, but what would be a logical minimum be for a unlimited gun? not knowing any better i'd guess a mounting and sight system? what would you that shoot unlimited recommend? what gun? i have a old 17L,and new 24, 24C, and 35. not sure how the 24C would do with the sights, but it's the one i like shooting least other than the 17L which i don't like, and it doesn't have a rail. thanks

2. mleeber

mleeber

I went through the same quandry last year. Fireglock tells me that most unlimited winners use a 9mm and a really light load. That means a 17, 34, or 17L. I started with a 34 and had it all ready to go but my 17L came a couple weeks ago so I moved the C-More and tried the 17L this weekend in Statesville. I will be using a 34 from now on (had feed problems with the 17L because I did not cut the ejection port and I cannot bring myself to cut a slide on a new 17L). The ejection port on my 34 has been cut so it should work fine.

I would reccomend an optical sight and mount. You will likely want a reduced recoil spring and a reduce striker spring too. Many add a tungsten or stainless guide rod and a Mag well. The C-More and Carver mount can be ordered thru Fireglock (that is where I got mine). Springs, mag wells and guide rods are plentiful but if you run into problems let me know as I am a dealer for Wolff, IMSI, and T.H.E.

And if you do not want to have the ejection port on the slide releived, Carver has a "hunter" mount which is farther from the top of the slide.

Good luck!
    Mark

P.S. forgot to mention that most of the more common optics mounts require a 3rd gen gun with the light rail....

3. cmzneb

cmzneb

That is not exactly true. Look for the name Kirchoff in GSSF match results around the midwest (MO, MN, CO. IN, etc). He often shoots a bone stock G17 or G17c in the UM class and wins. Sometimes he puts a dot on the G17c, but it gives him no advantage, he shoots the same speed and level of accuracy with or without the dot, and using those crappy factory Glock sights as well.

Look at the results for MN 2005. Mr. Barton won the Master stock class with a time of 48.58 - Better than his score in Master Unlimited of 56.14. And he was the top shooter in both of those classes.

A race gun is not necessary in my opinion for GSSF, it mostly lies with the shooters skill and ability.

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I don't believe Ed was talking about anybody but himself, what Kirchoff or Butch can do is what they can do. Ed just wants to shoot and have a good time.

5. cmzneb

cmzneb

I was just using these two guys as examples of individuals who obviously can excel without having to put a bunch of "extras" on their guns.

I think most people obviously want to just shoot and have a good time.

Excuse me for sharing my opinion.

6. Fireglock

Usually folks asking for information want information, not our opinions. But since it's your opinion, my opinion is that Butch is a first class shooter and guy, I don't know Kirchoff. As for shooters not needing a bunch of addons, Tony, Bobby, Dale and Grady among others seem to do quite well with them. ;)

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Ed,

It was a pleasure to met you, a fellow York Rite and Scottish Rite Master Mason.

There are other, Weaver mount red dot sights that do not require any modifications to the slide. If you use a Carver "hunter" mount, you do not have to remove your sights. The G24C will do just fine in Unlimited. If you do not reload, use Federal 165-gr FMJ ammo. If you do reload, I'll send you a nice recipe. E-mail me and I'll give you a Weaver mount similar to the Carver.

Cmzneb is correct. In the hands of a true Master, there is very little difference between Stock and Unlimited. To a non-Master like you and I, the tricked out unlimited pistol is fun to shoot. It will help build your confidence.

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I won't comment about your UL gun amidst this august body as I'm putting one together myself with lots of good advice from these folks here, as well as dp177 & Bobby & Butch. It's lots of fun & I don't regret starting that journey. However...

I will say this about never being a contender. I went through a very brief confidence issue and, as a result, decided to shoot my "warmup" round this last match in Master Stock instead of Competition, just as a lark. I guess I didn't realize that practice was paying off. Result is that my MS time would've won 1st in AC had I shot them in a different order. Further, my MS time would've won the gun in Competition had I stuck to my usual procedure.

Moral: Keep practicing and don't give up on those bread & butter divisions that can have the biggest reward to you. Not preaching; that's just the lesson I took away from it. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile without a Post-it note. ;j

Good luck on your UL gun. (I still think we should get a stickied thread just for pics of everyone's UL guns; they often are beautiful in their own right, making a statement of sorts on behalf of the creator.) ;f

9. Fireglock

I shouldn't bother but here goes. Read Ed's post, he knows what he can do with a stock gun, he didn't say he couldn't shoot one, he can. He doesn't think he'll be a contender in Master Unlimited and with Grady, Bobby, Glenn, Frank, Jeff shooting on the East coast he's probably right at this time. Having spoken to Ed about this I know he's giving up Major Sub which is a category he doesn't care for. He's looking for information on what you shoot for Unlimited. He wants to play and would like to shoot U/L for some of that fun. He's not giving up a Category where the gimme prizes are awarded, just one he doesn't care for. :)

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Sure you should if you have the info. :)
    (fwiw, I wasn't trying to be condescending)

OK, back to what you reiterated, and based on advice from several who regularly shoot UL, I will be shooting my 34 with Carver/CMore combo; I already had the gun so it was a logical choice. Weaver base currently, but going to a Slide Ride base as it puts the sight plane much lower to the slide. (If limited to the guns he listed, I'd probably look at a 9mm conversion barrel for the 35.) I don't yet handload 9mm, so springing & everything is not down where it would be with judicious handloads but works fine with light factory stuff. The Dillon may have to come on the sleigh with Rudolph. The fun part (I suppose) has been learning about what impacts what in getting things to run.

:)

11. lm921

lm921 The Stampede

Trick out the 24c with as much money as you can afford to spend and have a great time.

I am always at the bottom of the score sheet but i have a great time no matter what :)
    Plus my G17npv (see pic) gets a lot of people talking, lol

My son is going to re-DuraCoat it Before the October match in ky :)

12. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Pretty basic set up I'd say...

C-more/Carver slide ride combo, brass mag well, tungsten guide rod.

[​IMG]

Since I prefer my G34 for Comp, I turned my 17c to the open gun, with a G34 barrel.

13. ede

ede Bama's Friend

don't get on in a few days and look what happens. thanks for all the replies. think i'll use my 24c and try to have it to shoot next year, unless i can come into a 34 some way. i only have 17 glocks and my wife is starting to wonder how many more i need.