close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unlawful detainment, search and seizure

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glotin, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glotin

Glotin

1. This guy is a DB.

2. If I had to spend as much time with him as the police did, I'd probably want to punch him in the face.

3. Supporters like this are part of the reason Ron Paul is unelectable.

4. I'm not a expert on Oregon law.

5. Despite all of the above, I believe the police were in the wrong; his civil rights were violated.

I don't care who you are or what your beliefs may be; I support any law abiding citizen's rights (2nd and 4th amendment in this case). ...I guess it's part of an Oath I've taken a number of times now.

This man was not suspected of committing any crime, thus they had no legal justification to detain him, seize his weapons, and ID him. Doesn't matter if anyone called the police.

Any of our resident LEOs care to weigh in?

[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=115_1335140148"]LiveLeak.com - Unlawful Detainment and Seizure of an idots Firearm[/ame]

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Why you made your mind up on this one already.

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Don't worry, they will be along shortly to tell you that you are wrong.

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

But I do have to agree, it's funny people will get bent when someone actually stand up for their rights. The simple fact is the detainee is correct, there is no ordinance or law that makes his action illegal. And any law or ordinance that violates the 2nd Amendment is null and void as the 2nd amendment is part of the supreme law of the land.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Wow, what a lispy little scumbag. The enemy of gun rights and OC, right there.

6. Mayhem like Me

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

No, the enemy are those that are too cowardly to step up and exercise their rights and defend them. You can disagree all you want, but the detainee was correct as he had violated no law and exercised his rights.

Could have he done things a bit differently? Possibly, but the fact is he stood his ground for his rights and requested that the ordinances or laws be cited for their detaining of his person.

The pendulum has swung to far to the left where rights and laws are violated everyday and we are supposed to just say "Oh, that's okay!" No it's not, it's time it stops and it's time that unjust and illegal laws are repealed and the pendulum swings back.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Almost every legal thing the guys says in the video is ridiculous. To detain him, all the police need is reasonable suspicion (a hair better than a hunch) that he may be involved in or about to commit a crime. Bizarre conduct and walking around with a gun in plain view is plenty. I have actually litigated the issue of a Terry stop for legal OC in federal court - not a difficult win. The police don't have to see you commit a crime - being in the wrong place at the wrong time can be enough.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If the police saw him violate the law, or had probable cause tyo believe he had, he'd probably be handcuffed. They don't need that for a temporary investigative detention.

It is easy, common and legal to detain people who haven't actually broken the law.

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

You might be about to commit a crime, you have a look about you that makes me think this. So I will detain you, that is about what you are saying. I already know you will not change your mind or your point of view as you are on their side. But that doesn't mean we should give up our rights and back down.

11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

IF they saw him violate a law, that's different. IF he had actually BROKEN a law, that's different. He didn't and that was the point.

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Shhhhhhhh, lest we not bring logic and reason to the table.

13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I let CT do CT things.

I don't mind it being here.

Bren, agreed lispy SOB.

First off, the "dude" is an attention seeking DB according to my research. Lots of videos.

On Topic, he did nothing wrong and the police would have been better served waiting for him to actually do something against the law before submitting to another mindless contribution to his cause.

This has nothing to to with being a RP supporter and the OP is just as guilty in regards to attention seeking DB to promote an agenda.

14. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

That is not how the system works at all.

What do you think the word investigation means?

Some examples. A man robs a bank wearing green pants and rides off on a unicycle. I see you (who did not rob the bank) in green pants riding a unicycle. I did not see you break the law. I have no proof you broke the law...but I can detain you to INVESTIGATE the situation.

I see you swerving in your lane. You have not broken the law. I did not see you break the law. I have no proof you broke the law...but I can investigate the situation.

LE does NOT have to see you commit a crime or have proof you committed a crime. LE doesnt have to be right either (that is what "not guilty" means in a legal sense) LE has to be able to articulate, under oath, with the threat of criminal and civil penalty, why they did what they did.

You need to look into things like Probable Cause, Reasonable Suspicion and Reasonable Person.

15. arclight610

arclight610

I guess some people just have no common sense. The guy is looking for attention, hence the video camera and pre-scripted "Officer I do not consent blah blah blah". People like this make police officers' jobs harder for no reason. I think the officers handled it very professionally.

16. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Typical, "Look at me" elitist, attitude of the Cultists.......

17. Glotin

Glotin

Some of what he says is ridiculous, yes.

But in order to detain, they must have specific, articulabel facts pertaining to the crime that they believe he committed.

Haha. What is my agenda, exactly?

The officers did handle it fairly professionally, but it looks as though what they did was wrong.

18. Mayhem like Me

your opinion is based on a video and you have no idea what occurred prior to the police coming so how do you know they did it wrong ?
    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. syntaxerrorsix

Right because non cultists welcome direct action from the police despite any laws being broken.

Yeah the actor was acting, no the actions weren't pc.

20. syntaxerrorsix

So is yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.