close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

United States Postal Service (Rant)...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SGT HATRED, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

IN your mailbox?

Like a regular single-mail-box-on-a-post type mailbox? SFH or apartment complex/2-family/?? ?

I can honestly say my name has never been INSIDE my mailbox. My mail goes there, and it has my name on it, but. . .

Hell, I've mailed crap to people who DON'T live at a house and it got delivered.

Perhaps I'm confused.

EDIT:

Here are the reg's for single mailboxes (mailboii??):

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/us..._usps0916]&varset(source)=sourceType:embedded

NAME is not required, just reco'd.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Yes inside the mail box. I was of the same mind as you thinking mail was sent to a number not a name... But the nice lady also informed me that the mailman didn't have to deliver if there was a car clicking the box, a loose "animal", an unfriendly looking person in the area or for any other reason they feel threatened... So basically they will deliver in any weather but if they feel threatened in any way you don't get your mail.

3. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

But this is a"cluster"box not a single box...

4. billkill

billkill

Shortly after I installed a new mailbox, our last name was written on the inside of the door...it does not help as we still get the neighbor's mail occasionally :dunno:

5. oldman11

oldman11

GOOD question! :whistling:

6. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Dammit I'm just getting more upset, that is an excellent question... I'm gonna give my local office another call.

7. bmoore

bmoore

Yes in just a regualar standard sized mailbox on a post for a residential home. It was my impression that you just needed the numbers on the outside, the lady said we needed our last name inside the mailbox. Seems silly to me but whatever. The best part was how she just drove by the house everyday, one day my wife and I were maybe 10 yards from her both of us working in the yard. Fantastic customer service.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I see the sign as a warning. I do agree it SHOULD have been IN your box. Maybe many others didn't have names so they made one note for all.
    It could be new delivery person. Old one knows the (extra) folks names but new one does not. Its NOT encouraged to give private mail to wrong person. So they ask you to put all names of folks who will receive mail at this address. You don't/they don't deliver mail....
    Then again the mailman who retired would stop/hand me mail if he saw me on his route (before my place/ask if I had any outgoing as it saved him a mile backtracking)

9. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I don't have my name on my mail box. The mail keeps on comming.

10. Cmacc

Cmacc

Interestingly, I recently rented a PO box in the lobby of a post office. I am constantly receiving previous renter's mail so apparently they don't even follow their own rule in their own boxes. :dunno:

11. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Not my or anyones name has never been inside or outside of any of our mailboxes in the 40 years I have been alive.

My current mailbox doesn't even have numbers on it, the house has numbers but not near the box.

Looking at the mis-delivered mail we have gotten throughout the years. The number and zipcode is the only thing that matters. The Ocupant Name and Street name do not appear to matter. I have mail with the wrong name and wrong street name but correct house number and zipcode delivered all the time.:dunno:

I think you have a disgruntled worker imposing rules that don't exist. :supergrin:

12. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

That sounds about right myke...

13. Naelbis

Naelbis

Count yourself lucky that the Postal Service will even deliver to you. No rural delivery in my area so it is really a pain to get anything shipped to meeven with UPS or FedEx. Half the time I can't even order things since they tell me "no such address found" when I try to purchase even though it ships FedEx.

14. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Yes those web address verification applications suck.
    I got tangled in one yesterday. My order would not go thru because I used 123 East main st. The verification software says "We could not find your address, did you mean 123 E MAIN ST" Lame...:faint:

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The name or address should be inside the box. that is not your responsibility. But if you knew about the boneheaded writing you should have written a number inside the box. I guess that shows why the USPS has lost its way.:whistling:

16. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

I find it strange. I recieved a letter and a package yesterday. So it seems that the post office is picking and choosing which days they want to deliver my mail.... An no I did not write my name in the box.

17. Radam3

Radam3

Been in my house over 10 years. I have never had my name or address on the box. I still get mail and any packages that i order that are delivered through usps that are too big to fit in the box, end up on my doorstep.
    A few years back when i got a new carrier, THEY taped a piece of paper to the inside of the mailbox door, with just my address on it. And i assume they only did that cause i live on a corner and my address is on a different street than my driveway and mailbox. Never once did they mention anything to me about it...

O.P. What'd you do to piss off your mail person???

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

18. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Not a damn thing. Never once said a word to them.