Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.abc2news.com/lifestyle/t...ll-charge-extra-fee-for-use-of-overhead-bins_

"United Airlines just announced a new ticket option called "Basic Economy," banning the use of overhead bins for luggage.

So now you're stuck with either paying for a checked bag, or paying for a more expensive ticket to bring it on the flight with you."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

You survived the required early arrival, TSA group grope, and gate check-in just to get on board for another grab at your wallet. Tell me again about how "convenient" it is to travel by air...

·
Garbage Day!
9,586 Posts
Thanks, OP. Now I know who not to fly with.

...but the article says that other airlines will implement this if the policy sticks. I swear, flying gets more stupid every year. They should just start putting wings on cattle cars and call it good. :upeyes:

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
So they charge you to check a bag?
Now they charge you to carry on a bag?
And they think your a "security risk" if you have no baggage.

It would be funny if it weren't completely representative as to how the airlines think of their customers.
Stand up on s flight and pole the other passengers as to what they paid for their ticket. You will be amazed by the range.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
I would put coin slots all the armrests. Unless everyone puts in a quarter every 10 minutes, the plane crashes. Obviously this would be after the new Google Plane is accepted by the FAA.

Reactions: All Pro Sports Hero

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
Will under seat storage cost too?

Reactions: crockett

·
GTDS
4,549 Posts
If AA wants to make money they should charge by the pound. Lighter people with next to no luggage will flock to the airline. No fees for baggage handling. Simple honest pricing. Just stand on the scale (weight with all your stuff multiplied by the flight cost coefficient) and voila there is your cost to fly. Bob's your uncle.

Problematic huskyvarians will avoid the airlines and planes will embark and disembark faster saving even more money through efficiency.

In addition, the extra weight capacity let over would allow the airline into the lucrative air-cargo market.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
How do they enforce it? How do they know passanger A paid for overhead bin and passenger B did not when standing in the aisle of the plane? You can carry on and put it under the seat so curious how this works.

·
NRA Life Member
65,486 Posts
I love South West...
Same here. Always choose them if I'm buying the ticket.

How do they enforce it? How do they know passanger A paid for overhead bin and passenger B did not when standing in the aisle of the plane? You can carry on and put it under the seat so curious how this works.
Yep. I addition to being a BS way to squeeze out more money, it's going to be a nuisance on the flights, slow things down and create friction for the crews.

Reactions: janice6 and Bruce M

·
Registered
31,690 Posts
Fine with me. I'm tired of running out of overhead space because people have gi-normous carry ons.

But I'd like to know how they are going to enforce this. I assume when you board you will have to check larger carry ons if you haven't bought the overhead option.

·
Registered
224 Posts
United, small planes and seats, refuse to fly United.

For my travel mostly Delta...which sucks, but not as bad as United

·
Señor Member
8,204 Posts
Boarding will be miserable.

Reactions: Bruce M

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
Thanks, OP. Now I know who not to fly with.

...but the article says that other airlines will implement this if the policy sticks. I swear, flying gets more stupid every year. They should just start putting wings on cattle cars and call it good. :upeyes:
All of the legacy carriers are implementing it to compete with low cost airlines. First it was premium economy where they charged you an insane amount for extra legroom and now if you want to choose your seat or have luggage you'll need to pay more. They have figured out customers would rather get the absolute cheapest ticket possible so they have had to find other ways to extract money.

Reactions: SRS and janice6

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
Fine with me. I'm tired of running out of overhead space because people have gi-normous carry ons.

But I'd like to know how they are going to enforce this. I assume when you board you will have to check larger carry ons if you haven't bought the overhead option.
They scan your ticket at the gate now. If you haven't paid for your carry on it shows and I can't picture someone being able to conceal a carry on.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
So they charge you to check a bag?
Now they charge you to carry on a bag?
That is not what they did.

They added another ticket class that is cheaper than standard economy where you are limited to the size of a carry-on (and only) so that fits under the seat.

This makes more room for everyone who buys a regular economy ticket and then tries to stuff their three 26-inch suitcases in overhead bins, holding up the flight departure and having to gate check the bags.

It is for the someone who wants a cheaper seat.

A normal economy ticket does not have these restrictions.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
The ticket gives a warning when it is scanned when you are getting on the plane (just as it gives a warning if you are trying to sneak into an earlier boarding group or you have an e-row seat) and the gate agent checks the size of your carry-on.

Its not that difficult.

Reactions: GamerGirl
1 - 20 of 105 Posts