close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Union Claims Pay Raises Violate Workers' Rights

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Jun 20, 2012.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Gogetters get paid the same as the slugs. That's one of the reasons there are so many slugs in union shops.

I've watched more than my share of highly motivated young people lose all that motivation when they came to the realization that no matter how hard they worked they wouldn't advance any faster than the person who does just enough not to get fired.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

3. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Who is John Galt?

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I refuse to join an organization that tells me how much I can make or how much I can work. Was a Teamster once and all I learned from that experience is how much we can shake down the people putting food on our table and produce as little as possible.

5. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

You NEVER busted butt on a union job in Florida. If you did, you would either get railroaded by your coworkers (= you go down the road if you don't tighten up) , set up for stealing or sabotage (= you go down the road if you don't tighten up) , or suffered the peer pressure until it "brought you into the union hive mentality" and end up doing just enough each day to get by and stay employed until the end of the job. This wasn't hard for them to do as the union was, I would guess still is, chock full of nepotism. I've worked with guys whose great grandfathers had been in the same union.

I watched this type of mental conditioning happen repeatedly back in the '80s when North Florida was starting to lose a large chunk of their carpenters' union jobs (#627). The Anheuser-Busch plant and Florida Steel, in Jacksonville and Baldwin respectively, helped keep them and other local union work around here for a little while longer than the other #627 counties to the West and South of us. The Auchter(sp?) Company, held firm for years, some of us think due to their relationship with the St. Vincent's Hospital, but they too, IIRC near the early to mid 90's, broke from union work as well. Some of those long term, but not yet to retirement, Auchter(sp?) Company guys really got pasted when they split it up back in the mid 90's.

When I left the trade for good in 2007, W.W. Gay, to my knowledge, was still holding out with a "half union side, half non-union side" work force. I guess it worked/works for them.

As for me, instead of sitting on my butt waiting for more union scale work, with Wood-Hopkins at the time, myself and others "jumped ship" to go to work "as scabs" for the Haskell Co., which just broke union in the early 80's.

Some of the guys were threatened by other union workers, so to avoid any issues, I kept volunteering for out of town work and was sent to one of Haskell's first out of town (i.e., out of Jax.) jobs after they officially broke from utilizing only union labor in carpentry. Heck, I didn't get back to Jacksonville until, IIRC, 1985, and the sore feelings, locally, was over by then.

ETA: I never felt or worked safer than when on a union job! The people were professionals that had YEARS experience and this translated into very, very few mistakes that caused lost time injuries/accidents.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. Paul53

Paul53 All in all I'm just another brick in the wall.

Worked in a union factory in my 20's. Got counseled by the union because I was making other union members look bad. They wanted me to "job failure" at my job so they could force the company to divide the job in 2 requiring 2 union members to do it. I did the job in less than 3 hours and spent 5 hours drinking coffee and helping others with their jobs. I'm a bad man!

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Yeah, me too as I pretended to smoke just to get the hourly breaks. :embarassed: :whistling: