Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all,

I have a Glock G40MOS, which I absolutely love. It shoots great and runs smooth, however it has developed a bad habit of dropping magazines during strings of fire. It will not drop magazines during slower fire, such as practice at a range. On the other hand when I'm running and gunning at a pistol match the dropped magazine issue rears its ugly head.

I thought the problem was user error, but I do not engage the magazine release. Hell, I even cut away the Talon grip around the magazine release because it was bunching up around the button under repeated fire.

The magazine release button is stock, as well as the retention spring, and the magazines. I probably have about... oh 2,500 rounds through it. I am planning replacing the magazine release button and retention spring. Does anybody else have any other ideas? This is my first Glock, and it has been awesome overall!

·
Registered
681 Posts
We’ve got several g20’s gen3sf and gen4’s between my brothers and I. We shoot lots of hot stuff. We’ve never had a mag drop like that. A new mag catch and spring is cheap. Give it a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
orangeride, Cpt. AMERICA: Thank you very much for the feedback. It looks like a new magazine release button and retention spring are the way to go. All the best :cheers:

·
MacGyver
7,392 Posts
On loading a full mag into the magwell, it is easy to deceive yourself into thinking that the mag is locked- especially if you are smacking it in, or under stress.

Push + pull is what elite schools teach for mag insertion, as well as running a -1 download of the mag fill.

You can blame the gun, BUT likely it is YOU - especially if you have no problems with slow range fire but develop it during the "run and gun", under stress, and fast reloads. Changing parts, will only deepen the misunderstanding of what is happening.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If the dropped mag is at the first shot after a mag change, possibly it is/was only 90% inserted, and not quite 'locked in'; I now download competition G20 mags equipped with Arrendondo +5 extensions by one round for this reason. (I'll load the first one fully, 20+1, if the stage is possibly complete with only 21 rounds....)

·
MacGyver
7,392 Posts
If the dropped mag is at the first shot after a mag change, possibly it is/was only 90% inserted, and not quite 'locked in'; I now download competition G20 mags equipped with Arrendondo +5 extensions by one round for this reason. (I'll load the first one fully, 20+1, if the stage is possibly complete with only 21 rounds....)
You might think it is only the first round, but it may be the 3rd or the 10th or the xth.

Push pull

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Well one time I goofed and inserted a magazine into a holstered G-19 "backwards" and giving it the quick follow up bottom slap to seat the mag screwed the pooch. It was stuck tight in the 2nd Gen G-19's mag well. I had to remove the slide from the frame and smack the sucker out with a wooden dowel, hopefully I never do that again eh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On loading a full mag into the magwell, it is easy to deceive yourself into thinking that the mag is locked- especially if you are smacking it in, or under stress.

Push + pull is what elite schools teach for mag insertion, as well as running a -1 download of the mag fill.

You can blame the gun, BUT likely it is YOU - especially if you have no problems with slow range fire but develop it during the "run and gun", under stress, and fast reloads. Changing parts, will only deepen the misunderstanding of what is happening.
I appreciate the feedback, and will look into the push-pull method for seating magazines. The problem I am having is something that started towards the end of a series of Monday night pistol league competitions. The first 6 Mondays were fine, but then the issue had shown up around the 7th Monday match. I can say that my technique, nor loading the magazines to 15 rounds had any negative influence. That is what leads me to believe the issue may be hardware related. However, that does not mean I am not open to trying a different technique, and like I said, I will certainly look into it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The 2-3 issues I've had over the years with semiauto handguns were either affirmed or at least identified by loaning the weapon in question to a competent shooting buddy and seeing what his experiences revealed.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts