Unintended Consequences

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by BigBluefish, Sep 29, 2018.

1. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

So, I know I said the other day I was outta here 'til Wednesday morning, after the Tuesday vote...oh, what? There isn't going to be a Tuesday vote?

Yeah.

My question, thought, whatever, is this: Now that it is abundantly clear that bringing up decades old, uncorroborated allegations of sexual misconduct outside the judicial system, is effective in destroying people, and garners an accuser all sorts of support and approbation from the left (at least, when the accused is a Republican), what happens in the situation - not Judge Kavanaugh, let's be clear on that - where these allegations, even if unsupported by any corroborating evidence, are actually TRUE?

Yeah. I believe Kavanaugh. But even if you disagree with me, hear me out.

Specifically, where does that leave the accuser? My concern is this: not in a great place, in some instances, I would think.

My understanding is it's pretty well accepted as fact that most sexual assaults are never even reported, be they actual completed rapes, attempted rapes, or something less than actual rape but nevertheless in the nature of a sex assault. And a certain percentage of sex assaults are not committed by strangers: a percentage is committed by people who know their victim. And the victim not only knows her assailant, she knows he was her assailant. Call it date rape or acquaintance rape, whatever. Pretty creepy.

Let's suppose a guy (because most sex assaults are committed by guys) did commit sex assault on a young woman and they were both fully aware of what happened and who was involved (either during the act or afterward...say once the booze wears off). Doesn't matter if she was a minor at the time, let's just say young woman, OK?. I think we can take it as given that this guy is a Bad Dude. It might even be reasonable to assume, or posit, that if Bad Dude did commit such a sex assault, then he likely committed more than one. (I think the research on such issues bears this out...but it's been a long time since I've looked at it.)

So, now Bad Dude who committed one or more sexual assaults 30 or 40 years ago that never got reported or publicized, or even made known to friends of either party, in most jurisdictions, I suppose, today or at least until a couple of weeks ago, he feels he is afforded some protection by the applicable statute of limitations. In some jurisdictions, the statute has been extended for cases where the assault occurred when the victim is a minor. In some jurisdictions I believe, felony sexual assault, like murder, is subject to no statute of limitations. But in most, I think, 30 or 40 years after the fact, charges and prosecution are not going to happen. The more time passes, the less likely his crimes are to be reported, and the less likely they are to be prosecuted successfully, and the more comfortable Bad Dude is feeling.

But now, Bad Dude has to be wondering what could happen if his victim just decides to go public with her true accusations. She hasn't, yet. But what is Bad Dude going to be thinking now, after the #MeToo movement, and particularly, the last two weeks of 24/7 Kavanaugh? There's this woman out there who could drop the hammer on him. And this time she's RIGHT. He DID do it. She doesn't need to prove it in a court of law. She doesn't need witnesses. She doesn't need evidence. All she needs to do is talk. And she may not have any intention at all to go public. But, Bad Dude doesn't know this. He just knows she's there. And he knows he did it.

That is not a good situation for the woman to be in, folks.

Mtnfolk75 and mc1911 like this.
  2. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I'm not sure I'm getting your point, BBF.......want to summarize a little bit?

thanks

Paul53, elkhart and NMG26 like this.

3. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Guilty men may murder their past victims to avoid a trial 30-40 years later.

I don't think it's a significant concern.

Paul53, Mtnfolk75 and Slackinoff like this.
  4. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

I think what BigBluefish is getting at is that Bad Dude may commit violence against the female he assaulted decades ago to keep her quiet; up to, and including, murder.

After all, he is a bad dude.

Mtnfolk75 likes this.
  5. Gokyo

Gokyo

hogship and Wayward Son like this.
  6. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

OK, I see, and I think you are right.....I believe I was subconsciously trying to apply that to Kavanaugh.

Now that I see it in the correct light, I think it might be a good point.

7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Honestly, I'm skeptical of the social sciences' "statistics" for a few reasons.

1. Progressives will lie to further their political agenda. Global warming anyone?

2. These statistics are usually based on questionnaires. How do we know these people are being
    completely truthful? Do they understand the difference between a sexual assault as defined by law and an unwanted sexual advance? If they are not sure, then the results can look much worse than they really are. Do they want to do their part to make this a political issue by over-reporting sexual assault? Is rape really an epidemic in the military or are women reporting unwanted advances as rape?

3. How many women make false sexual assault reports? How do we really know?

4. Do you really believe that 10% of the population is homosexual? That is the number considered as correct by the Left. If you think that number is BS, can you trust the sexual assault statistics?

I don't know what the real numbers are; I'm just skeptical of the Left's statistics.

8. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Are you saying there may be an uptick in murders of women? I can’t think like a criminal, but I’d venture a guess that if I got away with one crime against a person many years ago, I’m not going anywhere near that person again.

hogship likes this.
  9. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

That's sorta how I took it to mean. Interesting theory. Never say never - if the assailant is a true serious felon, what's to stop him from "disappearing" the victim/potential witness?

hogship likes this.
  10. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I’d be lying if I told you that the Kavanaugh hearings didn’t make me think of John Ross’ masterwork “Unintended Consequences.”

hogship and Simi_gun_guy like this.
  11. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

You're not thinking like a criminal, which is good. Most people would think that way.

But if you've deviated enough from the norm to sexually assault someone, someone you knew, someone who knows you did it, and now 30+ years later...you've got a whole lot more to lose, wife, kids, job, house, money, prestige, power...don't forget power - not your freedom, because you probably won't be prosecuted - well, you might not look at the situation the same way that one who hasn't committed that crime would.

And no, I don't think it's going to raise the homicide rate. I just think there are likely know a number of women who are in a much more dangerous place than they were a couple of weeks ago. Which sucks.

hogship and jeanderson like this.
  12. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Never heard of this Ross fellow's book. Guess I should check it out.

Simi_gun_guy likes this.
  13. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Made me think of Vince Flynn's Term Limits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_Limits_(novel)

It's a book about patriots taking out the trash.

14. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Absolutely you should

Simi_gun_guy likes this.
  15. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

Time to feed the hogs?

Just sayin' ...