close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Uninstall problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Walter45Auto, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I have a wireless mouse installed on my computer that I want to uninstall. The Uninstall Icon for it, and the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS program will not uninstall it. When I click Change/Remove on the ADD/Remove screen, the screen flashes, then does nothing. When I click on the program's uninstall Icon, it says "Uninstall could not be found. Please check that the directory is correct" or something to that effect. How do I get the office mouse program off my computer?

;g

;8 ;I

2. Toyman

Toyman

First, what's the name of the mouse program? Is it legit?

Click Start then Run. Enter RegEdit then click OK.

Navigate in the tree to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
      SOFTWARE\
        Microsoft\
          Windows\
            CurrentVersion\
              Uninstall\

Find the Key (folder) below this that corresponds to the mouse thing you want to uninstall. Click on it. If it's not there, try looking in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

In the right side of the screen, find UninstallString and double click it.

In the Edit String dialog that appears, press CTRL-C to copy the Value Data.

That Value Data points to the uninstaller exe and the log file that contains the info to uninstall (optionally). For example:
    Code:
    C:\PROGRA~1\ioisland\CLEART~1\UNWISE.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\ioisland\CLEART~1\ClearTweak.log

Either paste that info in a reply, or you can try going to the folder and finding the log file, and dragging and dropping it on the uninstall exe.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Is there a particular reason you want to remove the driver for a defunct HID?

After all, if you aren't using it and it is not interfering...then nothing's broke.

If an applet is starting with Windows, just navigate from the Start Button> Run> then type msconfig and tick the option for Selective Startup and then the Startup tab from the top right.

In the list that appears find the entry for your mouse software and uncheck it. Click Apply and then Okay.

Let the machine restart and you are done once you verify the changes and Close the popup for Selective Startup that will appear once the machine is booted.

And Toyman, just a word of advice: when having a 'puter n00b edit his registry remotely it is imperative to have them Export a copy of it before they start tinkering. That way you won't get blamed if they don't follow your instructions to the letter--all they need do in Import the old file and all is back to normal.

Just a thought from someone who has seen this blow up in tech's faces often enough that he will avoid it at all costs himself...

4. Toyman

Toyman

Good Point.