Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Lifetime Newbie
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting here snowed in, watching Campus PD, and one of the officers put his tie back on (appeared to be a clip-on that fell off).

While I realize some departments have it as part of the uniform, I personally think they should be saved for more formal occasions. I also thought they'd be a safety hazard until I saw the clip-on idea.

Anyways, I thought clip-ons were a helluva good idea (as opposed to "real" ones, which can be pulled and used against the officer). I won't ask those of you to say if you wear "real" ties, but just for fun, I'm curious about your thoughts on everyday uniforms and ties in general, clip-on or not.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It really depends on the uniform whether they look sharp or not. If you're wearing tac-pants (cargo pockets, etc.), a tie just looks silly. If your long sleeve shirts aren't even close to fitted and just kind of hang off you, it looks silly. If everything on your duty gear is tactical nylon with bloused boots, the tie looks silly. Trouser style pants with a good fitted long sleeve shirt, it looks good. Now you take trouser pants, a fitted long sleeve, high gloss duty gear, and a well blocked hat that's tie country right there.

-Jenrick

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
I'm not personally a fan of ties except for Class A type events. Thats just my own personal thing tho. In my opinion, they're too formal for everyday wear and they always seem to fall off or fly away when you end up actually doing work.

Funerals, parades, whatever, they're fine, but regular patrol work and such, they're not my favorite piece of accoutrement.

Just my .02

·
Cover is Code 3
4,267 Posts
Ties suck. Mock turtlenecks are where it's at.

·
NRA4EVR
11,692 Posts
Ties have no place on a patrol uniform. It's way past time to get over the 1950s mentality and live in the now when it comes to uniforms and equipment.

·
Registered
14,955 Posts
Ties suck. Mock turtlenecks are where it's at.
I still wear a tie on dayshift with my long sleeve uniform shirt. If it is really cold out, I wear a turtleneck and no tie.

I just like the looks of the Class A. I rarely wear a class B uniform except for range training and bad weather on night shift.

Mine is a clip on.

·
Semper Paratus
28,316 Posts
Capts.and above here where a tie during daylight savings time while we are in Long sleeve shirts.. All the rest wear mock T-necks with Agency initials embroidered on the collar.
Short sleeve shirts after daylight savings for all...

·
Heavy Mettle
3,776 Posts
I despise clip on ties, they make an officer look like a slob... they never tuck under the collars right, and fall off at inconvenient times.

If you must wear a tie as part of the uniform (like I do), wear one that attaches with velcro.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Class "A's", admin, details, honor guard, yes. Class "B's" or on patrol, no. I'm a turtleneck kinda guy......On my old department, I wore a velcro tie with a permanent knot and a tab of velcro holding the portion of the tie that's around the neck. With a little bit of force, the tie would come off your shirt. It was kinda like a cross between a real tie and a clip-on.....It always looked "sharp", but was functional

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,212 Posts
We only wear them as part of our Class A's thankfully.

On a related note, the Rhode Island Troopers dress is cool, but has to be ridiculously uncomfortable. They get decked out, and patrol, in the full dress uniform for winter, holidays, and Sundays. They're all like 7 feet tall too...

I hung out with some of them in DC a few years back. Great group, but I couldn't work like that. Got some cool pics too.

edited to add...

If I remember correctly, even their summer uniform is a long sleeve dress shirt and tie. They just don't wear the coat.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Class A's with clip on ties were there standard uniform for patrol at my last gig. I'll admit I'm a traditionalist and like the looks of a nice fitting class A uniform w/tie, though. In my neck of the woods it seems to be a popular tend for many city guys on evenings/nights to wear t-shirts and bdu's. Looks like crap and about as professional as the mall ninja security guards around here.

·
Registered
32,173 Posts
There are few that will occasionally do it but it is pretty rare. It stopped being the 1950s a while back. Our biggest call for service of the day isn't the fender bender and Main and First. Besides dressed up for most civillians around here is a polo shirt and kahkis.

·
Unusual Member
1,594 Posts
Ties are not just a bad idea for wear with uniforms, they are a bad idea. I hate ties. I used to be part of a profession that wears suits day-to-day. I hated ties then. I hate them now.

If you need to wear more than jeans and a shirt, wear a button-down collar and a sport coat. Ties are dangerous (in police work), ugly, and a generally stupid idea.

·
Heavy Mettle
3,776 Posts
Ties are not just a bad idea for wear with uniforms, they are a bad idea. I hate ties. I used to be part of a profession that wears suits day-to-day. I hated ties then. I hate them now.

If you need to wear more than jeans and a shirt, wear a button-down collar and a sport coat. Ties are dangerous (in police work), ugly, and a generally stupid idea.
Ties do have an important job in LE. They protect your shirt from being coated in powdered sugar, and coffee!:supergrin:

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you conduct a traffic stop around here in your class A's with tie, high gloss gear, and hat, most people are too surprised to even back talk. I also like to occasionally wear our knock off motor helmets (that aren't actually rated for anything) on traffic stops just to mess with people.

-Jenrick

·
Unusual Member
1,594 Posts
Ties do have an important jog in LE. They protect your shirt from being coated in powdered sugar, and coffee!:supergrin:
Powdered sugar is a tactical mistake. Glazed. All the kool kids are doing it.

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts

·
Jagenden Übel
2,138 Posts
Ties have no place on a patrol uniform. It's way past time to get over the 1950s mentality and live in the now when it comes to uniforms and equipment.
We wear ties on dayworks and run our duty belt through our pant belt loops, like the NJSP summer uniform. And a giant "air force" style saucer hat. :upeyes:

Cutting edge 1960 uniform.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts