Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb Mistake- left a hopper full of Bullseye in my RCBS Uniflow measure- sat there a looong time.

Got around to loading some .45acp and it still drops my pet charge weight and all shells go bang and function great.

Filled the hopper to find the powder has adhered to the sides and couldn’t be scraped off.

I never use this for anything but Bullseye for .45acp. Do you see any reason I shouldn’t continue?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Dumb Mistake- left a hopper full of Bullseye in my RCBS Uniflow measure- sat there a looong time.

Got around to loading some .45acp and it still drops my pet charge weight and all shells go bang and function great.

Filled the hopper to find the powder has adhered to the sides and couldn’t be scraped off.

I never use this for anything but Bullseye for .45acp. Do you see any reason I shouldn’t continue?
PM me your address. I have a spare new plastic hopper. I'll mail it to you. I'd want to start over with a new hopper.

Probably fine to shoot the ones loaded, but I always go by the motto that if there is any doubt there is no doubt.

I assume the metal housing is unaffected?

Alternatively, contact RCBS and there's no doubt they'll mail one for free. Last time I asked for a replacement they sent 2. Hence the spare that I have.

·
NRA Life Member
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PM me your address. I have a spare new plastic hopper. I'll mail it to you. I'd want to start over with a new hopper.

Probably fine to shoot the ones loaded, but I always go by the motto that if there is any doubt there is no doubt.

I assume the metal housing is unaffected?

Alternatively, contact RCBS and there's no doubt they'll mail one for free. Last time I asked for a replacement they sent 2. Hence the spare that I have.
Taterhead, that is an extremely generous offer, one I truly appreciate, but you better hang onto your spare. I’ll contact RCBS and see if they will offer to send me another one.

the metal parts all seem fine. I haven’t noticed, what holds the hopper in place to prevent it from coming out when you don’t want it to? I assume it’s not too hard to swap out

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Taterhead, that is an extremely generous offer, one I truly appreciate, but you better hang onto your spare. I’ll contact RCBS and see if they will offer to send me another one.

the metal parts all seem fine. I haven’t noticed, what holds the hopper in place to prevent it from coming out when you don’t want it to? I assume it’s not too hard to swap out
It is an interference fit. To remove, wrap a towel around the plastic. Whack the plastic against the corner of the workbench. Then maybe turn it a bit and do it again.

To install, invert the hopper and pound it in. Wood surface is perfect for that.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I've seen the glass hoppers for the Dillon powder measures, but not the RCBS ones.

They look quite nice and are now on my list of things that I want, but not need right now.

Reactions: Kentucky Shooter

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
This is just one of the many reasons why you don’t leave powder in the measure.
I’m going to load tomorrow, and tomorrow ends being weeks or months later.

·
NRA Life Member
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Take the hopper off and clean it. If it cracks, RCBS will send you a new one.
How about mild sandpaper on a dowel to give it a little scrub then wipe down?
I took it off and tried cleaning it. I only slightly improved it- at least I got it where no more powder will be turning loose in the future.

I started by soaking it in water with little to no results. Then I tried Rem Action cleanse, Hoppes No. 9, and rubbing alcohol, all to no avail. Scrubbed progressively with a nylon brush, then sandpaper and finally a wire brush. All this with barely any improvement.

I washed it out after all that with Simple green and water and thoroughly dried it. Then went back to loading Bullseye loads with it. I would not really be afraid to use it with any powder, especially not with bullseye since it’s what is etched on the sides.

RCBS is sending a new hopper, not sure I’ll change it immediately but will have it for when I’m ready and I’ll be more careful from now on. I know experience is the best teacher but i never dreamed powder would have that effect on the hopper- after all, powder is sold in a plastic bottle. Definite proof all plastics aren’t created equal.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
It was not implicated or implied or directed at the OP :cheers:

Reactions: DubfromGA
1 - 14 of 14 Posts