close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unidentified Receiver Help

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glocker36, Jan 23, 2010.

1. glocker36

glocker36

My brother came into a receiver that I can't identify, I think it is a Mauser 98, but I am not sure.

First line:Fabrique Nationale
    2nd line: Herstal-Liege

is stamped into the top front of the receiver and here are some pics. I also think it is a 30-06.

I am sure this will be an easy one for those of you familiar with them. How would he go about finding a barrel, stock and good gunsmith for this to make it a complete rifle?

Attached Files:

2. 1gewehr

1gewehr

It looks like a standard Mauser 98 action. It could be easily built up into any caliber that has the same base diameter as the common 8mm Mauser (.308, .243, 7mm Mauser, .30-06, 260 Rem, etc).

Measure the receiver ring inner diameter and threads to see what barrel type to buy. Midway, Brownells, or MidSouth have plenty of barrel and stock options for you. Instructions are readily available on the web.

3. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

I agree with 1gewehr, but I can't tell if it's a small ring or a large ring from the picture. FN made Mauser 98's under license into the 1950's for the commercial market. I've seen them in 30.06 and 7mm, but I'm sure they're out there in other calibers. Your receiver was taped for a scope rail on the left side.

Here's a reference on how to identify the ring size of the receiver.
    http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. glocker36

glocker36

Thanks, that is excellent information. If you wouldn't mind, where exactly do I measure to determine if it is a small ring or a large ring and what kinds of measurement ie 1.25 inch 1 inch?? am I looking at?

Thanks again,

Glocker36