Unfit, but he knows someone

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Jul 20, 2019.

1. CAcop

CAcop

We hired a guy who had a DUI at 19. We hired him at 24. He was cool with the arresting officer and took care of everything. A few years post college he worked for probation. One of our top officers. K9, SWAT, narcs, FTO.

The warrant issue for the person in this story is hard but unless he has more in his background not a total showstopper.

FiremanMike and nursetim like this.
  2. jk_226

jk_226

I was surprised to find that an OUI conviction doesn't make him a prohibited person in regards to firearm possession. The max sentence for a first offense in CA is 6 months.

Here, it's 2.5 yrs, which the state considers a misdemeanor, but makes anyone that is convicted prohibited from possessing firearms since the offense punishable by more than 1 year incarceration.

In my state, this would make him ineligible for the simple fact that he couldn't lawfully possess a firearm.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Almost all misdemeanors in California are six months max. As of a couple years ago, the standard sentence for a first-time basic DUI (non-injury, BAC <.15) was probation, three days and $1500. They got credit for one day in custody and would do the remaining two on work release picking up trash.

Nothing in there puts a DUI offender in the prohibited categories for firearms. Not a deal-killer for law enforcement either, but they’ll need a good job to hold down for the five or 10 years until anyone will consider hiring them.

4. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

PM sent!

Sorry for the delay. I was busy over the weekend and didn't get to spend much time on GT.

5. nursetim

nursetim

Just goes to show, it’s not WHAT you know. It’s WHO you know. Come on, it’s commifornia, anything goes. Rules, we don’t need no stinking rules.

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Yeah, because no agency in any other state ever hires unfit people.

jimcorbin, CAcop and Glock Commander like this.
  7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

We would not even process the application with that information he would be in the no hire file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Great point. Nepotism and cronyism is strong everywhere in America :cop::flag: