Glock Talk banner

Unexplained failure to load a round while manually racking slide - GEN4 G19.

1729 Views 56 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Deeds86
I cleaned & lubed my GEN4 G19 on November 23, 2022. I always check things over while cleaning. Look for damage, make sure safeties work and test the RSA.

Everything was normal.

Yesterday I pulled the 15 round mag out and inserted a 33 round mag - gun has not been fired since cleaning.

I rack the slide as I normally do - gave it a pretty good yank and did not ride it - and the round went straight into the feed ramp and did not load.

So I dropped the mag - gave it a few taps - made sure the top round was loaded correctly and reinserted it -

This time I racked it really hard - and I made sure 100% I did not touch the slide but let it slam forward - and the round nose dived into the feed ramp and did not load.

I dropped the mag again - unloaded it and reloaded it (not sure why I thought that was a good idea) and reinserted it and racked it like I stole it -

The round went straight into the feed ramp and would not load.

At this point I was baffled - so I dropped the 33 round mag - locked the slide back and inserted a 15 round mag and then dropped the slide using the slide stop and it loaded the round no problem.

I then tried the 33 round mag and it loaded no problem - did this a few times.

I them - starting with a fully loaded 33 round mag - inserted the mag and slowly pulled back the slide and allowed the slide to slowly go forward - trying to make it fail -

But no matter how easy I released the slide - even holding it back so it would slowly move forward, it still loads a round every time with no failure.

I did the RSA test a few times and no matter how hard I try to get it to fail the RSA seems GTG.

EDIT:

This is a fairly new 33 round mag - it has only gone to the range 1 or 2 times and has been left loaded for over a year. The spring seems strong as the last round is hard to load. I do not think the mag spring is bad.

Any ideas?

I am thinking about calling in the expert!

Face Head Smile Font Entertainment
  • Haha
Reactions: Hauki and Pierre!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Da Da
7,318 Posts
The 33rd mags are hit and miss. I never had any luck with non OEM 33td mags so I only used GLOCK 33rd mags in my PCC.

If you are determined to make it work, try loading 29 rounds and see if that helps.

Since everything else works fine, you my have to toss it and buy a GLOCK mag.

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,777 Posts
The first thing to do is use the slide stop/release when loaded the chamber. It's simply more consistent and reliable than racking by hand.

The second thing to do is not use a 33 loaded to 33 just-because.

Not that it probably ever actually matters to you if a 33 round mag loads from empty into your pistol.

Reactions: Hauki

· Registered
6,953 Posts
Had this happen with the Korean 33s. The round is absolutely presented at a different angle than the Glock 33s. Also, occasionally, the rounds would bind in the Korean mag. I could tap the mag, then would feed.

OP ... What mag are you using?

· MacGyver
10,852 Posts
The second thing to do is not use a 33 loaded to 33 just-because.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
People insist about fully loading their mags all the time-- they swear that their G21/30 needs to be fully loaded or they feel they were cheated, or their gun is defective.

I've been arguing that it's OK to download your mags for practical (tactical) reasons for many years.

· Registered
6,953 Posts
Had this happen with the Korean 33s. The round is absolutely presented at a different angle than the Glock 33s. Also, occasionally, the rounds would bind in the Korean mag. I could tap the mag, then would feed.

OP ... What mag are you using?

Reactions: Sherlock913

· Registered
20,251 Posts
  • Glock factory magazines?
  • Different followers on 15 round and 33 round magazines?
  • Big blunt hollow points or smooth round full metal jacket rounds?

Inquiring minds want to know.

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,777 Posts
People insist about fully loading their mags all the time-- they swear that their G21/30 needs to be fully loaded or they feel they were cheated, or their gun is defective.

I've been arguing that it's OK to download your mags for practical (tactical) reasons for many years.
I say this partly because the 33 round mags feature a +2 extension. If it was a factory Glock mag with no extension that fit the pistol, I'd fully support loading it fully.

But even then, I don't load manually from a full mag, I carry a spare -1 for ease of insertion and a place to put the chambered round if the pistol is unloaded.

· Registered
6,953 Posts

I'm of the same mindset. Some may scoff at it, but for me it's, prudent for reliability

· Registered
28,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a Glock 31 round with +2.

Never had a problem with any of them - I have 4.

· Registered
28,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Were you doing this with live ammo at home?
That's when "unexplained" happen.

A purist would say that a 33 round non-OEM mag is for entertainment purposes only, and you were sufficiently entertained.
If you can’t safely load a gun in your own home then that is your problem - maybe get some training.

What do you do after you clean your gun - go to the shooting range to load it?

· Registered
28,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing that bugs me is this gun - with any mag including some KCI knockoffs has never been hard to chamber a round.

Then it is - then it isn’t-

I would be less concerned if it never loaded a round from the full 33 round mag-

It is like when your car will not start - I would rather have it not start at all rather than it starts 50 times in a row then for some reason will not -

Intermittent problems are the worst.

· Registered
4,577 Posts
With a 6 round 42 mag, it's worth fully loading, and topping off. With a 10/12 365 mag, which is already pretty tightly packed, not so much. The 35 round MagPuls (Scorp) is really tough to load against a closed bolt. Depends on the mag and the gun.
For the op, you've got 31, and two more...yeah, maybe down load it a couple. :)
BTW, does the +2 use the standard spring?
Moon

· Registered
28,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With a 6 round 42 mag, it's worth fully loading, and topping off. With a 10/12 365 mag, which is already pretty tightly packed, not so much. The 35 round MagPuls (Scorp) is really tough to load against a closed bolt. Depends on the mag and the gun.
For the op, you've got 31, and two more...yeah, maybe down load it a couple. :)
BTW, does the +2 use the standard spring?
Moon
Same spring -

· Registered
228 Posts
I have three of the KCI 33 round mags primarily to feed my AR-9 build. Loading only 30 rounds has proven to give optimal performance in my experience. The will feed okay with 31 or 32 rounds, but 33 is unreliable.
Can't bring myself to use them in any of my clone builds. Glock OEM mags are my preference, especially for my carry guns.

· Registered
28,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I say this partly because the 33 round mags feature a +2 extension. If it was a factory Glock mag with no extension that fit the pistol, I'd fully support loading it fully.

But even then, I don't load manually from a full mag, I carry a spare -1 for ease of insertion and a place to put the chambered round if the pistol is unloaded.
I think removing the +2 may be a good idea.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts