close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unexpected Surprise

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by GeorgiaGlockMan, Feb 7, 2006.

1. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I went out this morning targeting coyotes, but got a bobcat instead.

This is the first one that I've taken and will be the last.

I have him on ice for a trip to the taxidermist tonight.

Going for a full body mount with a quail in the mouth. I'd like to get it done so it looks like he is jumping/standing on hind legs using claws to secure the bird.

Sorry for the crappy pic from my camera phone.

2. major

major Rejected member

Very nice! So, are you from Georgia? Where did you shoot him?

3. GeorgiaGlockMan

Thanks.

I live in Ga.

I shot the cat right behind the right shoulder while it was on terrafirma at my place in Lincoln County.

100 yd shot with .22WMR 40 grain - pencil size entry hole with no exit. didn't recover round as I don't want to screw up the mount.

Called in with Randy Anderson Primos Predator pack cottntail distress call(or maybe it just decided to cross the interior road in front of me after I finished wa-wa-wa-wa-ing away - idunno).

Perfect hit - DRT.

We had a good rain yesterday and I love to see the tracks the day after the rain. There were cat tracks everywhere. My trail cam took a pic of a couple a month or so ago. This one is the little brother to that bigger cat.

The cat is larger than it looks - the pic make is look like a houecat without a size reference. I am 6'3" and with me holding the rear legs at my chest (toes @ nipple ht) the cat's front claws touch the ground. I am guessing it would go 25 maybe 30 lbs.

4. major

major Rejected member

Yeah, I could tell it was a good size. I've got one mounted that I really like. He's just sort of curled up lying down with his head looking up. He's sitting on top of our entertainment center.

Never spent much time in Lincoln County but am, of course, familiar with your football team, which it seems usually goes deep into the playoffs most every year. I am in northwest Georgia for now and spend a good bit of time up around Blue Ridge and also in the Cohuttas. Lots of cats there. Also occasional sightings of cougars but DNR won't acknowledge that they exist.

Oh, I got a chuckle out of your use of "DRT". Lots of people wouldn't know what that means! Told me immediately you are a true Georgia boy.

Regards.....

5. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Dead right there? (I assume. ;f)

Nice looking cat!

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

Yah - After meeting with my taxidermist tonight, I am pretty pumped up after looking at his pics. I am going to go with a standing/jumping on the hind legs with a quail in one claw and the mouth opened & lurching forward to grab the bird. It is going to look great in the corner of my office. All I need to do now is get one measly quail which shouldn't be a big deal. I've seen several good quail flushes on my place.

Nah - I am not a true Georgia boy. I am from Texas. My wife is a Georgia girl and I am just trying to fit in. I do hang with alot of good ol' boys I guess they may have rubbed off on me.

We live in Athens and just have a "tree farm" so to speak in Lincoln cty.

DRT - I love it when that happens. It makes me feel like I am a good shot or something.

Update on the weight - exactly 25 lbs on the taxidermist's scales. He did say it was bigger than most that are brought in. There are enough rabbits on my place to feed 100 cats.

Oooooooh cougars - that puts a new spin on all of the time that I've been spending in the woods. Yikes - that's all I need for my wife to hear. She'd never let me go out and play. It makes me want to rethink the 9mm G34 plinker that I carry into the woods with me. I may just be in the market for a gen 3 G20 now - darnit.;f

Happy Hunting!