close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glenn129, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Glenn129

Glenn129

Yesterday a woman asked my cousin to sign a paper saying she had asked her about a job at my cousin's dry cleaners (she hadn't she only asked my cousin to sign the paper). It turned out the woman had lost her job paying $285/week, but the unemployment benefit was over $300/week. She told my cousin she preferred the higher income and doing nothing. I guess she is not a fool. We should not make unemployment so pleasant.

2. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I never found it "pleasant" when I was unemployed.

And who is "we?"

3. Glenn129

Glenn129

We is me and the other people that have to pay for the benefits a person gets after the amount one receives exceed the amount one has paid into the program. Sen. Bunniings tried to get the Senate to pay for the requested extension yesterday, but they wouldn't.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. GroovyChristian

GroovyChristian

That's strange. I've collected unemployment before and it's a percentace of what was earned at the previous job. Higher percentage depending on the tenure at the previous job, but never the same amount or more.

5. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Unemployment benefits are not the problem. The problem is we have too many Americans that are perfectly happy to be unproductive and get paid for it. I am currently unemployed and it is driving me crazy. I cant wait to get back into the work force and actually do something with my life.

Unemployment benefits in WA are $625 a WEEK for me. I can see how some people would rather sit back and relax rather than work with that kind of 'free' money coming in.

6. Glenn129

Glenn129

I have never collected unemployment benefits, I am only telling you what this merchant said the woman told her. Things might have changed.

7. smokin762

smokin762

I did not enjoy the rolling layoff I experienced this past year. From what I understand, it might happen again this year too. These are not good times right now.

8. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Then I guess "we" is me as well..............

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

I only got 238 bucks a week when I was laid off:alex::faint:

10. ronin_the_great

ronin_the_great

Seeing how you pay into unemployment all of your working(well, above board working)life, I see nothing wrong with cashing it out in one shot.

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

Nothing wrong with unemployment. It is a good and needed benefit of being a working man/woman that is temporarily not working at no fault of their own. Obviously however the system can be abused. I frequently hear people on employment turning down jobs because the job offered pays less than the unemployment check they are receiving. Is this a smart move or abuse? Hard to say. You and your past employer pay for your unemployment during your employed times. It is essentially your money and you have a right to collect from it when needed. Tough call.

12. dac1204

dac1204

I have thought long and hard about all of this unemployment and jobs mess.

Obama wants to put people to work on roads and infrastructure well heres how to do.

All of the people collecting unemployment and welfare should A: have to volunteer in their local communities, whether its picking up trash or cleaning up lakes and streams. B: Go to work on the roads and bridges, it cant be to hard to dig a hole (I've dug many) or tote materials to the site. C: stay at home while actively looking for work while collecting UE for a few number of weeks. OR D: stay at home and collect nothing.

The way I look at it is we could rebuild roads and bridges with the already paid labor and it would just cost materials and other supplies.

I cant collect unemployment because I am self employed and I haven't worked in 3 weeks. I would be glad as hell to go pick up trash or help with road crews while getting paid.

The contracts that are bid on would not happen because you already have the people to do therefore saving the states and federal government money. I know some jobs would be lost ( mostly illegals) but it would save alot of money.

Just m opinion

13. dac1204

dac1204

I guess Kansas is different then Georgia because employees do not pay into anything.

Employers pay for all of the benefits that the laid off employees receive. That is why companies try to deny claims sometimes saying you were fired or quit instead of laid off. Its insurance here and its costly to any company.

With my self owning my own business I choose not to pay for that insurance because its too expensive.

14. HarlDane

HarlDane

Employee's don't pay directly, but the cost of UE gets built into their pay by the employer.

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I'm 60 years old, self (un)employed right now, since I've not had any clients in over a year. Unemployment/retirement is not all that it's cracked up to be.

I'd rather be working and earning an income.

16. longhair

longhair

Being self-employed, I am required to pay unemployment tax. However, I am not allowed to collect.

17. Glenn129

Glenn129

Something is not right about that, ouch!

18. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

:faint:

It was not "pleasant" being unemployed.We often got our food from food pantry's and did eat at free soup kitchens on occasion served at churches.It took every bit of unemployment to pay house payments and utility bills.We went from a darn good living to poverty in 2 weeks time.Thankfully my wife still had her job making 9 an hour or we probably would have lost the house.I got a third of my former income for unemployment.

Sure, there are some people that sit back and collect it but here, if you want it, you have to register with job and family services,show proof you applied to at least 20 employers off the bat and then ongoing, show proof you applied to 2 new employers every 2 weeks.If job and family calls about a job, you better take the job or they claim you'll lose your unemployment.

I got my current job at 6.90 an hour and have been promoted to guard supervisor.I make 7.30 an hour.It aint the best but its a job.Wife got a better job and Im going back to school.Bad times dont last.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Government control of your life is just wonderfull isn't it? Our grand-parents were much better off before the feds came along to run our lives.

20. SPDMTL

SPDMTL

WOW!!:shocked: In Florida it's $275 a week on the top end. No more but, less if your previous earnings weren't a lot. Really??? A week? Not for 2 weeks?