Unemployed Americans

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Nov 4, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

The average unemployment check in the US is $293. About 1.3 million people will fall off the 99 week roster in the next 90 days.

Minimum wage is about $7.27 and hour, higher in many states.

Now, granted that many of the unemployed have been holding out for 'management jobs', basically trying the replace the income they had rather then just go back to work.

Do you think that with the falling out of benefits, this displaced workforce would now be willing to take a minimum wage or slightly better job? And if so, do illegals not create a work void by filling jobs Americans would now take?

WHats your opinion?

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Been out of work for 18 onths of the last two years.
    No unemployment checks for me. Airlines buiness is not great here.
    Looking into a DOD Law Enforcement position.

3. Cheytac

Cheytac

Obama now wants to extend that 99 weeks. :faint: I wonder how he will pay for that? :dunno:

Survivors will do what it takes to survive. Others will look for more help.

4. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

That was my point. While the story goes that Illegals do jobs Americans wont, that argument is really pretty well overwith. Even low paying jobs, are still honest work for an American down on his luck. Maybe AMerica will see this now that the entitlements are starting to lapse.

5. jhands

jhands

The fact of the matter is that those "low paying jobs" aint gonna foot the mortgage bill that the previous management job did. A lot of people are holding out, and with good reason. I personally have never had any government assistance, and am lucky to have a good job right now. But I know of folks that use the unemployment, and take off the books landscaping or construction jobs to make an attempt to get back to where they were salary wise. I don't agree with it, but at the same time, I don't blame them for abusing it. It's just too easy to abuse the system.

6. tongix

tongix

Obama will extend those benefits with the help of Republican Congress or they will face the likes of what happened to France last week.

7. kiole

kiole

There is no reason a person can't find a job after 52weeks... let alone 99 weeks.. I know many people on unemployment who refuse to take a lower paying job then what they had, well then when unemployment runs out they *****.

My father lost his job about 7 years ago making nearly six figures he was on unemployment for roughly 4-5 weeks and couldn't take sitting around home. He went to Kohls and got a job stocking shelves for i believe 7.50$ an hour. That was almost a pay cut of 35$ an hour he worked there for over 2 years before securing employment back in the industry he worked in before.

He actually made the same amount of money on unemployment as he did working. He did it to receive benefits, by the time he was done almost all his paycheck went to pay for healthcare for the family.

I see jobs everywhere around me the problem is no one wants to take them. The night stock position at walmart pay starts at around 10.50-12.00$ an hour, up to 15$ an hour. A lot of people just think jobs are beneath them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  8. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

but that is exactly the point. the job is beneth me, I am waiting to replace my six figure job in falfurious texas even though that job or similar may never exist again. at what point do Americas suck it up, get some pride and go to work?

9. glock509

glock509

i would love to take one of those jobs. but bear in mind that for every job opening there are up to a 1000 applicants for that position. also places like mcdonalds and the like will hire those in their late teens to the early 20s because they can work them cheap and boot them before bennifits time if need be.those of us with managment experience or masters degrees get skipped over because the employeer thinks we will want more money or try to run the show. and the nite job at wally world doesnt start that high. it starts about $8.50. i interveiwed for it and i was the oldest at 40 to be interviewed.

10. Model19

Model19 Typical GnG

It took me 15 months to even get an interview. Now I work for $7.30 an hour after my previous job of $48,000 a year. And I'm glad to have it. I thank GOD every day for my blessings. I've been out of the job search now for 6 months so I'm not sure if it is still bad. But there were NO jobs. There were MANY people out of work. Thank God every day for what you have. Pray for others that have not.

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

Let it end and let's find out.

12. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

The real problem is when those individuals fall off the rolls; the political machine will tout the numbers of recipients as going down proportionately. They will act like they are "creating" jobs because the unemployment benefits program works and is showing “progress”.

13. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It will lead to progress. People that have to sink or swim often swim and it will mean less money being taken out of the pockets of producers to pay for it.

If you tell people they have to catch a rabbit in order to eat....people will start chasing rabbits.

14. Rabbi

Move.

If you were here, you could have a 10 dollar an hour job within a day and a person can live on that here.

My point is, (and I am not picking on you, just using your example) it took you 15 months to get an interview on your terms. That is not the same as "it took me 15 months to get an interview"

15. sigman69

sigman69

what we need in this country is high wage jobs...not more mcdonald's jobs. We probably should bring back more manufacturing jobs, or other high wage jobs, but I am sure that will never happen when we have trade relations with countries that dont pay their workers anything.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

Manufacturing jobs AREN'T "high wage jobs" and they CAN'T be as long as there exist countries that "dont pay their workers anything."

There is simply no way to maintain any kind of artificial price or wage controls that will keep the wages of manufacturing workers at a "high" level. The jobs are a commodity, they're worth what they're worth. If they're cheaper elsewhere, companies will go elsewhere to find them.

17. wct097

wct097

If I lost my job, and were unable to procure similar employment in my field within 1-2 months, I would take two minimum wage jobs and work twice as hard to maintain my financial obligations and to keep my family clothed and fed.

I have zero tolerance for people who refuse to help themselves.

18. Rabbi

Yep. In order to have the job, you have to have a market for the product or service that job supports.

To be blunt, if you get a job because of an artificial mechanism (tariffs/subsidies/whatever) you still have to put a product/service out on the market that people have to buy. If you have an artificial mechanism on the consumer side as well, you will get in a bad way fast.

You want higher paying jobs you need higher levels of technical skills and innovation. You cant turn(make) a lower skill job into something higher paying because that is what you are qualified for, you need to get higher levels of qualifications.

"Manufacturing" means the guy in China who makes a dollar a day making flip flops and it also means the guy in the U.S. who makes 75K a year machining parts for medical equipment and space craft.

If you are at the skill level of "make flip flops" then you are going to have to compete with everyone else on the planet who walked from their grass hut into town one day looking for a job. If you are at "make parts for space craft" you can enjoy a higher wage because you have a more valuable skill.

19. pugman

pugman

I had this thoughtfully worded P.C response all ready to go then read this.

No other way to put it.

20. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

I just recently got a job working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time, about 25-30 hours a week, and was out of work right at 20 months. Right now I'm making less than I was on unemployment but I'm just happy to have A job. I went from making about $40k a year in a construction job to $11k a year on unemployment but I stretched every dollar. Half of that money went to rent, then 1/4 went to car insurance and a reduced cell phone plan, and then I cut back to two small meals a day usually consisting of PB and J for 'brunch' and rice and beans for dinner. If I went out with friends, I ate before we went out and just drank water.

I had my first interview with a pest control company a month after I got laid off but that went nowhere, my second interview was at Gatorland and was 6 months later, then I went just over a year until my third interview which was with Nordstrom, and finally the fourth interview with Dick's was last month. So 4 interviews in 18 months. I don't know how many 100's of jobs I applied to online and in-person. I couldn't even get a part-time job at the Target I worked at for 3 years during college in Orlando. I was either over-qualified/educated or they had hundreds of people applying for jobs that used to get less than 10 applicants before. I was even told by one place that they wouldn't even consider hiring someone who was unemployed.

I moved back in with my dad last summer and my uncle just recently moved back down here after getting laid off from his job at a golf course and luckily getting a job at one down here. That new job lasted him all of 2 months but he was lucky enough to get a job at a course he used to work at a few years ago but had to take a big pay-cut. When he first moved in with us, he questioned my effort in finding a job. Now that he took the big pay-cut, he started looking for a part-time job anywhere.

He came back after driving around all day looking and couldn't even get a job bagging groceries at Publix or Winn-Dixie, Lowes and Home Depot weren't hiring for anything, and even the local pizza joints weren't hiring.

My dad was laid off back in January from his job in the insurance field and couldn't find anything for a few months so he started volunteering at the county courthouse. That led to a full-time, but temporary, job that is over in January. He's been looking the whole time with nothing. He had one phone interview a few months back but never got a call-back.