close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Underwater photography?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Rockdiver, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Rockdiver

Rockdiver

I was just wondering if there were any other people in the world who are both into firearms and digital marine photography. My wife says I'm the only one.....:sad:

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I think there are plenty like you. I haven't gotten into it just yet, but I am seriously thinking of trying it after I do my diving cert (I am hoping to use my summer vacations this year for it).

What lenses (in 35mm-equivalence if you're shooting crop camera) and lights do you find most useful in your exploits?

3. twinfin

twinfin

Well, there are at least two of us on Glocktalk. I started stalking fish with a speargun, then I started stalking bigger fish with bigger spearguns, all while freediving (no scuba tanks). After a while, I started taking underwater digital pictures of the divers and the game fish we were spearing . Stalking that perfect underwater shot is much like stalking fish. Both require patience, skill, timing and luck.

I started with an Olympus C-3030, 3.0 megapixel camera in a Light & Motion aluminum housing with a Sea & Sea YS-90 digital strobe. I had a wide angle port affixed to the housing as well. This camera was the one that really ignited my passion for underwater photography. Its compact size made it easy to freedive with. As a freediver, you only have the amount of time that you can hold your breath to compose and shoot the photo before you have to return to the surface to breath. The small image size, at 3 megapixel was the limiting factor. The images were just not big enough to make large prints from.

Once I started to get really one of a kind images and getting them published in various places, I knew I was ready to invest in a more sophisticated system. I deliberated for a long time before finally deciding on a Canon 20D with the 10-22 wide angle zoom lens. This camera and housing is much larger to freedive with but the 8 megapixel images shot in RAW format are much more suitable for enlarged printing as well as the usual tweaking in Photoshop.

A wide angle lens is really vital to the kind of photos I am shooting. Freedivers underwater with their long fins and spearguns are difficult to get in the frame without using wide angle. It's true that you could just back up some to get it all in the frame but unlike topside photos, the further you get from the underwater subject, the more light you loose and then the image just looks washed out of any color. Using a wide angle lens and adding light with the strobe has enabled me to get some really great shots of divers underwater stalking and taking big gamefish.

My goal is to continue to photographically document the sport of freediving spearfishing. Most of my diving takes place in the open ocean far offshore where the tuna and other pelagic fish are found. It is a challenge to get beautiful underwater images that really capture the essence of the sport but my portfolio is growing.

Twinfin

4. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

Well... lets see some of your best underwater pics.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

6. twinfin

twinfin

OK, I'll try to see if I can post some images here that represent the kind of images I am trying to get...

7. twinfin

twinfin

OK, So just how do you post an image to Glocktalk? I tried searching the site for information but could not find any clear instructions on just how to get an image to appear in my post.

I have low resolution .jpg images that are in most cases, less than 150kb in size and generally about 600x400pixels.

I tried the "attach file" and "browse" at the bottom of the page without success. I also tried to follow the instructions on IMG (insert image) button at the top of the page without any luck. I was using the section of Glocktalk used for posting test replies in case your wondering why you haven't seen my multiple failures here in this topic.

Can anyone offer me help?

Thanks,

Twinfin

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Place a photo on an external and reachable server (like imageshack.us or photobucket.com). Then post a link to the image here and surround it with statements [ img ] and [ /img ] (without spaces inside). Make sure the link is to the image itself, not the web page on which it is located. That means the link should end with the name of the photograph (most likely with an extension .jpg or .png).

9. twinfin

twinfin

let me try again...
    [​IMG]

10. twinfin

twinfin

Here's two more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. twinfin

twinfin

And a few more...