Under Trump, black prison rate lowest in 31 years

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Oct 23, 2020.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"Under Trump, black prison rate lowest in 31 years, Hispanics down 24%

America’s imprisonment rate has dropped to its lowest level since 1995, led by a dive in the percentage of blacks and Hispanics sent to jail during the Trump administration, according to a new Justice Department tally.

For minorities, the focus of President Trump’s First Step Act prison and criminal reform plan, the rate is the lowest in years.

For blacks, the imprisonment rate in state and federal prisons is the lowest in 31 years, and for Hispanics, it is down 24%.

“Across the decade from 2009 to 2019, the imprisonment rate fell 29% among black residents, 24% among Hispanic residents and 12% among white residents. In 2019, the imprisonment rate of black residents was the lowest it has been in 30 years, since 1989,” said the report.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...son-rate-lowest-in-31-years-hispanics-down-24 "

tm255 and nursetim like this.
  2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Yeah, well, we can thank liberal persecutors for that as well. The crime of not bringing charges for crimes is rampant.

mike from st pe, Cambo and jr24 like this.

3. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Worst. Racist. Ever.

Lethaltxn, DonGlock26 and JFrame like this.
  4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

President Donald Trump on Wednesday commuted the prison sentences of four people convicted of drug-related crimes and another who had been involved in a public-benefits fraud scheme.

The White House said in a statement that Trump granted the clemency “in light of the decisions these individuals have made following their convictions to improve their lives and the lives of others while incarcerated.”

Trump in September said he plans to start a “national clemency program” for people serving unduly long prison sentences.

DonGlock26 likes this.
  5. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

I don't want to come off as racist, as I don't give a damn if a criminal is black or white, but why are we kissing the ass of criminals and bragging about who let more out and who is responsible for more going in?

If you break the law, you go to jail or prison if that's what the statute says. Tough ****, whatever color you are. When Trump was accusing Biden of being responsible for more blacks in prison, I looked over at my wife and said, "Who gives a ****, if they broke the law they should be in jail." It was the one time I didn't really agree with Trump.

I don't really get this one, other than the fact that they're kissing butts trying to get the black vote. Then again, maybe I'm not up to speed on the subject.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. Out West

Out West Just lack finishing up

Just speculating here, but if you believed that minorities were incarcerated at higher rates due to racial predjudice, then the lower rates of incarceration might persuade you to believe that predjudiced sentencing has been reduced under this administration.

7. BlueBayShepherd

BlueBayShepherd

Kushner and Ivanka think it will win the Black vote. :rolleyes:

Of course, they're wrong. Black people who would consider voting R don't want to let dangerous criminals out of jail early, and assuming that they do is insulting.

Trump needs to stop listening to Ivanka and Kushner.

But that's mean and racist!

Your reaction is the right, fair, and conservative reaction. Good for you! :Thumbs Up:

That's precisely what they're doing, and it isn't going to work. It might make some disillusioned White voters stay home though.

"Trump will let more criminals out of prison than Biden" isn't exactly a campaign slogan that will appeal to working class or suburban White voters.

If Trump loses, he will only have himself to blame for listening to Ivanka, Jared and the other neocons he has chosen to surround himself with.

You're fully up to speed. Your post described exactly what they are doing.

jcm3 likes this.
  8. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Well my states prison population has fallen 25% in less than two years (33,000 to 24,000), and that's with a "Tough on crime" Republican Governor and Republican super majorities in both state houses.

Murders in our two major cities at historic rates... I don't recall voting for this????

9. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

Nothing to be proud of in this stat.

10. boofers20

boofers20

Well depending on who you talk to, the lower number is a direct result of cops shooting blacks BEFORE they get to prison, based on evil trump mandating it, or so I've heard. End sarcasm

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. railfancwb

railfancwb

I
    If they are dead they can’t be in prison.

12. domin8ss

domin8ss

If they're dead they can still vote Democrat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13. domin8ss

domin8ss

2020's numbers will be very interesting to see. After all, a while lot of "non violent felons" were released from prison due to COVID-19 and the sudden concern for their safety. But, this was done primarily in very blue states.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

I think 2020’s crime numbers other than homicides will be basically valueless.

Remember due to the political breakdown, police In many areas were simply not responding or taking reports for crimes. COVID of course caused the same things. No report equals no crime. Homicides are really the only thing that required police response and reports thus adding them to the official total.

15. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

Trump pandered to a group that will overwhelmingly vote for the other side. And in doing so he weakened his law-and-order supporters. Poor strategy. If you do the crime you do the time. A free get-out-of-jail card is not good social policy.

16. soutthpaw

soutthpaw

CA state prisons have reduced inmate population over 22000 Since March this year due to COVID-19 and Newsom's orders. Nothing to do with Trump.

TOTAL POPULATION: As of Oct. 22, there are 92,544 incarcerated persons in California’s prisons – a reduction of 22,465 since March 12, 2020.

Only the federal prison system has anything to do with Trump.

17. BlueBayShepherd

BlueBayShepherd

Well said! Exactly!

18. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

I’ve met Trumps appointed executive director of the Federal Interagency Council on Crime Prevention, Tony Lowden.

Lowden is also oddly Jimmy Carter’s Pastor. One of the things that struck me was that he was offended by the term “Parolee” he wanted them called “Returning citizens”.

Trump has been using federal money and influence to lower prison populations since day one. Might agree or disagree on that, but playing up the “law and order” card seems a bit insincere.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes, but if you believed that minorities were incarcerated at higher rates due to racial prejudice, you are a #[email protected]%ing idiot with no actual knowledge of the criminal justice system and you are going to vote Democrat no matter what.

But I guess you can't win an election without doing stupid things to impress the #[email protected]%ing idiots.

20. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

If you the prison rate goes down, the crime rate goes up