close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Under 21 pistol purchase in Texas

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by McGlockerson, Feb 10, 2005.

1. McGlockerson

McGlockerson

Is it true that you can legally buy a pistol from someone in Texas if you are under 21 but over 18? If so can you please post links? Thank you very much!

2. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

in indiana you can do it in a private sale. but it better not of been a straw purchase.

ie. "your 21 year old budy goes to joe shome's gun shop buys the gun and the next day sells it to you, because thats against the law."

but if he has owned it for awhile or you could say had no initial intention of purchasing for the person over 18(like he bought the gun but became unhappy with it) then he could sell it to you -gray area definately

this is how i obtained my kel-tec p32.

im not sure on texas law. you would have to check that up. look online

the safest way is to have your parents buy it and then give it to you.

i just feel bad for say a married couple that is both 20 year olds. live in a high crime area and both of their parents have passed away. stupid politicians and their backassward way of thinking

3. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

Yes, according to Texas law you can purchase a handgun from an individual (not a deal) at age 18. You can also have your parents purchase it for you from a dealer. Also remember that your parents will have to purchase the ammo for you until you turn 21. I don't have a link, but you might want to check out this site.

Ignition: To the posting you made my suggestion would be a shotgun. In my opinon they are better then handguns for home protection anyway and you can purchase them and the ammo at age 18.

Eagle

4. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

It's true.

http://www.lcav.org/states/texas.asp

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Texas law, although federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (3) and (5).

Federal law prohibits firearms dealers from selling or delivering a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). Dealers are prohibited from selling or delivering other firearms (e.g., handguns) or ammunition for those firearms to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id.

Federal law provides less stringent age restrictions with respect to sales by unlicensed persons. Unlicensed persons generally may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (3) and (5). Federal law provides no age limitations with respect to the sale of a long gun by an unlicensed person.

An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun under Texas law must be at least 21 years of age. Tex. Gov't. Code § 411.172(a)(2).

In addition, no person may intentionally or knowingly sell, rent, lease, or give or offer to sell, rent, lease, or give any firearm to any child younger than age 18. Tex. Penal Code § 46.06(a)(2). However, it is an affirmative defense to this offense that the parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent. Section 46.06(c).