close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Un-Adjustable Glock sights

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jabberwocky, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Hi,

Glad I finally joined your forum. About time since I just picked up m 4th Glock! My new-to-me Glock 17 came with adjustable sights and no manual. I've heard how horrible the factory adjustable sights are, I figure these are them. The back hangs over the end of the slide by about 2mm. The part that hangs off the dovetail kind of flaps up and down under very little pressure. There are screws on each side. One's windage the other is hight-- right? Anyone know which is which? It's not clear to me because they seem connected; when I turn one the other turns!

And even with multiple turns in either direction of both screws, I can't change the point of impact. I went through a box of ammo trying to zero it in earlier today. 1 inch groups off a rest, but they were all 8" high and 2" to the left on the indoor 50' range. Outside at the 25 yarder the other day I could consistently hit a jug, provided I aimed 2 feet low and 8 or so inches to the right! Need to get POI and POA to line up better then that if I'm going to use this in my next IDPA match.

Love to know how this sight is supposed to be adjusted. Once I have that figured out I'll look for alternatives. Since this is going to be mostly an IDPA and other shooting sports gun, I don't need night sights. Plain black post black notch like the BoMar on my 1911 seem hard to pick up for fast action shooting. Any recommendations?

thanks,
    chuck

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

If you like BOmars why not get them for your Glock?

3. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

[QUOTEIf you like BOmars[/QUOTE]
    Hi,

I'm not sure I do like BoMars. They're on the 1911 for the same reason the adjustable sights are on the Glock -- that's the way they were sold to me. I mentioned this Glock (and the 1911 actually) will be for IDPA and other shooting games I get into like pins, plates, and the other action sports. So night sights are not a requirement. I think I like 3 dot over anything else -- though I like the stock fixed sights on my G23. The other Glock I still have is a 26 with Henie 8's so I'm all over the map with my current sights!

I'd just like to adjust the sights I have to make it useful while looking for alternatives. I Followed your link to CGR while reading an earlier sight related post of yours. None of them were 3 dot sights. Though the thinner post then normal seems interesting. How do these fiber optic front sights stand up to repeat draw practice?

cheers,
    Chuck

4. gary newport

gary newport

One radical proposal (which Matt won't agree with!): try Glock factory non-adjustable STEEL sights. The front dot is bigger and brighter than on the plastic version and is very easy to pick up. The rear notch (at least on the 6.5 mm version) is a bit deeper and I think that improved the sight picture.

I have a set of steel Glock sights on my number two G17 and am about to install a set on my G37. I've tried and do NOT like black-on-black or skinny-front sights on my Glocks. The steel dot-in-a-box sight picture works well for me--particularly well at our informal Saturday night steel shoots where the targets (and the sights) are back-lit. These sights work well in normal daylight and shadowy, low-contrast situations as well, but they aren't night sights.

Here's a tip: install the steel front and buy a kit containing all four plastic rears from Glockmeister (about $11, as I recall). When you find the perfect height for your gun, load and eyes, buy the steel rear in that height. Most likely, the standard height for your Glock will work just fine if you want to skip the plastic experiment.

5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Hi,

I'm not sure I do like BoMars. They're on the 1911 for the same reason the adjustable sights are on the Glock -- that's the way they were sold to me. I mentioned this Glock (and the 1911 actually) will be for IDPA and other shooting games I get into like pins, plates, and the other action sports. So night sights are not a requirement. I think I like 3 dot over anything else -- though I like the stock fixed sights on my G23. The other Glock I still have is a 26 with Henie 8's so I'm all over the map with my current sights!

I'd just like to adjust the sights I have to make it useful while looking for alternatives. I Followed your link to CGR while reading an earlier sight related post of yours. None of them were 3 dot sights. Though the thinner post then normal seems interesting. How do these fiber optic front sights stand up to repeat draw practice?

cheers,
    Chuck

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

3 dots sights lead to sloppy shooting. You should be aiming with sights not dots. Also if you have proper lght ratios no dot sights are generally faster and far more precise.

FO are great for some people. I like them for certain types of shooting but not others. But that is front FO only, real FO gets way distracting and busy. The fronts are very durables, the optic rod needs to be changed once in awhile ut its cheap and easy.

The best options for adjustables are Bomar or Dawsons.

7. pevadijk

pevadijk

I have a pair of 'all black' Ameriglo sights with a .090 front sight on my G26 and my groups have improved considerably and I like them better than the 3-dot things that I've used in the past.............'all black' gives a very clean sight picture and makes it easier for me to focus on my front sight.