Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about running a dirty gun through an ultrasonic for a deep clean, never fully disassembled and cleaned this glock. Usually just use dawn dish washing liquid and toothbrush was thinking maybe it would be better and easier to just use the UC. I was thinking about using simple green then running the parts and springs back through with ballistol. I don’t detail clean after every shot but I do at least once a month with my old g22 because I fish a lot. (I’m aware “the pins can get loose”but they haven’t yet)

·
Registered
135 Posts
My department has a cleaner (the name escapes me Hornady something) that uses hot simple green/water combo. I think it's 10 parts water to one part simple green. We do not put the frames of our Glocks in it. Metal parts only then tons of lubricant after (CLP usually).

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
For me the concept of a “deep clean” or detail clean is nonsense.
My glocks work. I get what I can reach with a field strip and about once every few years ( at a bout the same interval I would be due for a recoil spring replacement) a detail strip of the slide to clean the firing pin channel. Anything more is just a waste of my time. Perfect white glove inspection clean is in no way superior to clean enough to trust function

·
I'm not retired
7,264 Posts
For me the concept of a “deep clean” or detail clean is nonsense.
My glocks work. I get what I can reach with a field strip and about once every few years ( at a bout the same interval I would be due for a recoil spring replacement) a detail strip of the slide to clean the firing pin channel. Anything more is just a waste of my time. Perfect white glove inspection clean is in no way superior to clean enough to trust function
I agree, pretty much. There are a lot of nooks and crannies in Glocks where debris can collect and build up and not be an issue. However, if you're into keeping your guns spotless, an ultraS cleaner is a good way to go if you're on the lazy side of cleaning. Run your cleaning cycle, blow dry with compressed air, then relube. GTG.

YmanualcleaningversesmachineagitaionMMV

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I have an ultrasonic cleaner that IMO is great for degunking the grungiest parts. Thorough lubrication afterwards is a must. Use what makes you happy.

Reactions: Bangman

·
MacGyver
7,579 Posts
overkill
more gadget ritual added to gun ownership

What does fishing have to do with needing to clean the gun?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I don't use my ultrasonic cleaner often, but it is great for cleaning and de-gunking stuff. Zero work, and you can re-use the solvents. I usually just do a basic cleaning (bore snake or barrel brush through barrel, clean/wipe-down, lube, re-assmble), but if dealing with smaller parts or if you really want to knock things loose for a detail cleaning, the ultrasonic cleaner is nice.

If I didn't previously work in labs and work in the scientific field, I probably wouldn't buy one for individual use due to cost and minimal gain(large departements would benefit greatly!), but I like having it around. Since I have it around, I do occasionally use it, and it knocks stuff out of tiny bits a toothbrush bristle can't easily get to! Some agents absolutely destroy the anodized finish on some gun parts (including the ultralight/titanium revolvers), so make sure the metal is safe prior to a sonicator dunk! A G22's internals would be fine.

Once you have one, cleaning jewelry, watch bands, springs and itty-bitty-bits, gun parts, etc. becomes fun. Even if you just use it to degas liquids (like a resin prior to pouring to ensure bubbles don't form), it is a pretty useful tool for a well-equipped garage!

In short, I wouldn't buy one just for a cleaning or two unless 1.) you find one cheap or 2.) enjoy keeping things clean. It is certainly a luxury, and not a necessity. If either of those apply, it is good to have, and I won't part with mine. I like nice watches, and the metal links benefit greatly from their baths in the sonicator bath! It is also disgusting how much crud is in even a really clean looking watch bracelet. :freak:

Reactions: Bangman

·
Controller
2,620 Posts
Throw it in the dishwasher with the slide locked back

·
I feel pretty.
3,943 Posts
I detail strip the slide frequently on Glocks and 1911's. Why? Because it's super easy to do, and wears down nothing. Extractor needs cleaned. I use a dryish .223 cottom mop thingy to clean out the firing pin channel, and fp safety, gently.

I rarely detail strip the frame. It can be hosed out with BF CLP. And I'm already at the ''quota'' for how many times those pins can get pulled.

My ultrasonic cleaner tends to show evidence of aluminum wear on chain saw engines, if I leave their stripped blocks in too long. I wouldn't want my polished Glock trigger parts in there. That's unnecessary cleaning. Your hands and an oily towel work fine.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
overkill
more gadget ritual added to gun ownership

What does fishing have to do with needing to clean the gun?
It really depends on how you fish, and how muddy the water is I guess.
20120419023036NoodlingDaveBaggettSMALL.jpg

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Throw it in the dishwasher with the slide locked back
For more thorough cleaning, hop in the dishwasher with it and cycle the slide a lot. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Right or wrong, here's what I do every once in a long while with my G19's frame. I will half fill a plastic tub with hot water and add Dawn Dishwashing detergent. I place the frame in the tub and while soaking I'll fire up my air compressor. Then with an air nozzle, I'll place it in the water and spray the frame from every possible angle repeatedly. Then I'll shake water out and rinse it thoroughly with hot water. After that I'll air dry it with compressor. Very clean frame by using no harsh chemicals, no disassembly, or no fancy equipment.

Note; do not drip water on floors or you'll be in hot water.

Joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right or wrong, here's what I do every once in a long while with my G19's frame. I will half fill a plastic tub with hot water and add Dawn Dishwashing detergent. I place the frame in the tub and while soaking I'll fire up my air compressor. Then with an air nozzle, I'll place it in the water and spray the frame from every possible angle repeatedly. Then I'll shake water out and rinse it thoroughly with hot water. After that I'll air dry it with compressor. Very clean frame by using no harsh chemicals, no disassembly, or no fancy equipment.

Note; do not drip water on floors or you'll be in hot water.

Joe
Never thought about that I’ve just been going at it with a brush lol

·
S. S. Squirrel
2,382 Posts
I dont like the water part of ultrasonic cleaners. Seen a lot of rusty parts and one suppressor finish ruined from an UC.

Lucas makes a solution with no water.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Colt have taken a few inadvertent swims while carrying a pistol. Unload lock back or field strip flush with clean hot water, air dry then lube was all I ever did with no problems.
Salt water might be a little different story I guess.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
My general experience with pistols is that they run better when not completely clean.

Specifically with Glocks, there's no need to clean anything internal much more often than 10k rounds or so. When I moved from Glocks to Stock 2's, was surprised the Tanfo's were pretty much the same. They just need more oil.

For me, the first place center fire pistols start to have problems with fouling is around the barrel hood/breechface area. So if I'm shooting my primary gun 30k/year, might do a field-strip clean every 4 months and take the whole gun apart at the end of the year.

I do like to get stuff thoroughly clean when I take the gun all the way apart, but that's mostly to be able to make sure all the parts are in good order.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts