close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ultramag Tubular Bullet: talk about wounding capacity!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Browsing through my old "Handgun Stopping Power" (Marshall and Sanow) I found a load that intrigues me quite a bit. Obviously I don't think it is still made but if it was just think of the potential for "stopping power". It was loaded by PMC in .38 Spl and .44 Spl. Basically a hollow copper bullet, similar to the Barnes X except that there was no base to it, i.e. it was a flying copper tube. A gas check wad of some sort was used to allow the pressure to propel it from the barrel but then the wad fell out and the remaining projectile was a "tube". Now, expansion wasn't it's ace in the hole; it was the cutting power. Think about it: a normal, expanded bullet pushes and sometimes cuts it's way through tissue. This particular round totally detached tissue on it's way through. A .38 or .44 sized "rope", if you will, of detached tissue. An irreplaceable hole bored through the target. Basically uncontrolled bleeding.

Maybe Double Tap or Buffalo Bore could resurrect this thing?

2. ABNAK

ABNAK

3. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Lots of inaccurate info on that thread.

The first gen .38Spl Ultramag was made out of brass. ATF designated it an AP handgun round so PMC had to switch to a copper alloy. The Ultramag was designed based on the Ring Airfoil Projectile (RAP). Prior to the PMC load Gilford Engineering Assoc (GEA) produced a similar bullet that was made out of steel. It was loaded in at least two calibers that I know of, 9mm & 45ACP.

Interesting piece of trivia is that a novelty toy called a "Toobee" was designed based on the principles of the RAP. The original concept Toobees were made out of aluminum drink cans and were approx half the length of the can. I knew the original inventor of the Toobee and I still have about 6 of the original prototypes.

4. Retseh

Retseh

Surely it would just tumble on impact and would only "cut" an entrance hole.

5. ABNAK

ABNAK

Wouldn't the "tube" being filled with meat tend to impede tumbling a bit? I mean most bullets don't tumble right away, so I'll assume that the tube would be filled with meat before the penetration depth at which tumbling usually occurs.

6. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Yep---you have it right. You always have good posts.

I shot my brass Ultramags up early on. Still have two 50-round boxes of the coppers, in .38 Special. I know at one point, I had some of the .44 Specials. Can't recall what which caliber came first. Way back then, the Charter Arms Bulldog was super popular.

Oh, those "exotics!" :rofl: Tested them all with Joe Zambone! I think the PMC round concept had merit. There were sooooooooooooo many other concepts, that were completely flawed. Think: ThunderZap!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010