close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ultralight one person tent - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Cola di Rienza, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Cola di Rienza

Cola di Rienza Vordhosbn

I'm looking for something light and durable that can be packed down to a very small size and carried around for long distance hiking. Are there any particular models you've had success with? My late 1970s "unknown brand" tent is still kicking, but it's too heavy for the kind of distances I'm shooting for.

Any information or recommendations would be great. ;f

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I use the Mountain Hardware Waypoint 1. Nice tent at just over 2lbs. This is my bad weather tent if I think I'll end having to sit out a storm or I'm going someplace cold.

In the summer or in clear weather I use an Outdoor Research Bug Bivy. 13oz!!!! No protection from the elements, but it keeps the scorpions and other poisonous critters from climbing in the bag with me. ;f

A friend of mine has the MSR Zoid which he likes.

I've used full bivies before, but got stuck for a few hours in one during a downpour and swore off of them.

Mountain Hardwear, MSR, Marmot, Sierra all make good 3 season backpacking tents, but they are all over 3lbs.

3. WFR

WFR

I'll second the MSR Zoid recommendation. Zoid 1, Zoid 1.5 or Zoid 2.

4. Cola di Rienza

Cola di Rienza Vordhosbn

Thanks for the info guys. I'll give those a look-see ;f

5. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

I feel silly for not knowing the name, but I have a small Coleman (I know not exotic) that weighs in at about 3.2 and will fit two people or a man and a ruck (I'm a big guy). Best of all, it was only like 60 bucks. Well waterproofed, easy to put up in the dark, thick bottom. It was my tent when I backpacked Philmont five years ago. It rained an uncharacteristically long time (many hours a day for eight days straight) when I was there, but the tent held up well. Just goes to show you don't need to spend a ton of money to get good gear.

Oh, and it is totally free-standing, which is helpful when you are setting up on top of solid rock.

6. Cola di Rienza

Cola di Rienza Vordhosbn

I've never tried a free standing tent before. Have much trouble setting one up in a stiff wind? :)

7. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I feel that way about the Bibler Ahwahnee that I purchased several years ago. This is a two man tent and while it would be too big for your goals it's served me well as a motorcycle and canoe camping tent.

Bibler also makes some nice bivvys. Their tents/bivvys have many great qualities but one of the best is the fabric they use is totally waterproof and breathable with just one layer. That's right these don't need a seperate rainfly.

This one weighs 1 lb 12 oz and is in the middle of their bivvy line in size and weight.

clic pic
    [​IMG]

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Hey I know you're not askin' about sleeping bags but just in case anyone is lookin' at them I want to place a bug in their ear about Wiggy's. Wiggy's makes "the best" sleeping bags and some awesome cold weather and hunting clothing too. That's a tall order to say anything is the best but the proof is in it's use. They make the best sleeping bag I've ever slept in and I've slept in quite a few. Check them out at the link below.

clic pic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. s002cjs

s002cjs

10. Guest

Cola,

I second Short Cut's suggestion of the Bibler Bipod bivy. Durable, lightweight, packs down small, handles condensation okay (no bivy handles condensation well, IMHO).

For a strong lightweight tent check out www.warmlite.com. Stephensons tents have been around for a long time. Their smallest tent is quite large for one person--sleeps two easy--but weighs in around three pounds. Nicer to have your stuff in the tent with you when its pouring rain as opposed to outside when using a bivy.

Very durable, lightweight, waterproof and NOT breathable, but designed with a ventilation system that really works, they pack down small. The guy and his small staff still make them themselves. He hasn't sold out to the big tent makers. Only drawback is cost as they aren't cheap. Warning: be careful of the naked people modeling his stuff in the website.

11. Cola di Rienza

Cola di Rienza Vordhosbn

The warmlite page appears to be down at the moment. I'll try back later. :)

12. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Remove the "." at the end of the link.

13. Guest

Yes, thank you Texas T. My apologies, Cola. I adjusted the link in my orginal post. The link is:

www.warmlite.com