Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My gf is one.
She completed her first hundred miler last year. I was proud as hell.
She had attempted one the year previously but had to drop at mile 85.

I think her favorite distance is 50k (around 32 miles) but she also likes the 50 milers

·
NRA Life Member
66,538 Posts
A guy in my detachment in Afghanistan, in 2009, did that stuff. At Ft. Riley he would go out and run 30+ miles like I'd run 5. He took R&R leave to Korea and ran a 50-mile race.

Reactions: AddAGlock

·
Banned
547 Posts
I have done a lot of running in the Military and later then in the LE. Very often I had to ran in the full-gear and body armor. Should I be smarter at the time, I would avoid running as much as possible, because at the end it destroyed my L5S1 and made me unable to run, bend, carry bulk or heavy loads.
Now I have to “run” 30 minutes every morning on my full-stride Precor elliptical. There is no jumping, bumping, etc.
Every morning I torture myself. Otherwise I would have to take painkillers.
As of today it was 157 bpm, 2.8 miles, 410 calories.
This makes me sort of functional for the rest of the day.
I am 53. Only God knows how many days I still have left. But I will start every one with another 30-minute challenge.
Be smart, gentlemen, don’t do crazy things that later you will regret.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My gf is one.
She completed her first hundred miler last year. I was proud as hell.
She had attempted one the year previously but had to drop at mile 85.

I think her favorite distance is 50k (around 32 miles) but she also likes the 50 milers
Did she have to changer her shoes before completing the 100 miler?

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
It takes someone with great genetics to do that. If not, injuries are inevitable.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Friend I used to workout with did this a couple of times. I'd do 25 minutes in a real steam room until I began to hallucinate. He'd do 75 minutes in the same room. :alex: I never asked where he finished, but I know he did finish. Funny part, he was (is) a former smoker and serious alcoholic. Tough dude. :cheers:

https://www.wser.org

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,648 Posts
The Pony Express would change out horses every 10 to 15 miles. The distances ultra runners run is amazing.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,595 Posts
I have done a lot of running in the Military and later then in the LE. Very often I had to ran in the full-gear and body armor. Should I be smarter at the time, I would avoid running as much as possible, because at the end it destroyed my L5S1 and made me unable to run, bend, carry bulk or heavy loads.
Now I have to “run” 30 minutes every morning on my full-stride Precor elliptical. There is no jumping, bumping, etc.
Every morning I torture myself. Otherwise I would have to take painkillers.
As of today it was 157 bpm, 2.8 miles, 410 calories.
This makes me sort of functional for the rest of the day.
I am 53. Only God knows how many days I still have left. But I will start every one with another 30-minute challenge.
Be smart, gentlemen, don’t do crazy things that later you will regret.
Too late!!!!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Reactions: Slackinoff

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Reactions: Resqu2

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
A few gals in my running family do the 50k’s and my local trail host the Yeti’s each year but I could never get past the 13.1 mile mark. Just to many foot issues (PF) to overcome. Now I am having back issues So I’m not running very much at all. I really miss it though.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,425 Posts
I was an ultrarunner 20 years ago. It was like having a second full time job. 6 miles on Monday, 10 miles on Tuesday, 20 miles on Wednsday, 10 miles on Thursday, rest on Friday, 30 - 40 miles on Saturday, and 20 miles on Sunday to get used to running on tired legs. All on hilly trails.

When peaking for a race one day would be 1/2 or 1 mile intervals

It was a hell of a lot of fun.

If you want to check out the Badwater 135, I think "Running on the Sun" is on YouTube. It's a well done documentary by the guy that directed that Willy Wonka movie.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts