Ultra light carry

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Guilotine, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Guilotine

Guilotine

For pocket or professional office tucked in shirt carry, what would you suggest? I have narrowed down my options to glock 42, 43, or ruger lcr .38 special.

Kennydale likes this.
  2. stevedal12

stevedal12

(Ducking to avoid the rocks) have you also looked at an LCP? I have an LC9S I occasionally carry, but have mostly switched to carrying the 43, but it isn't what I would call ultra lightweight.

3. tyman1876

tyman1876

4. Hermanator

Hermanator

I'll also duck when I say this... G42. There, I said it. I have a G43 and I always seem to reach for the G42 due to it being smaller and lighter, plain & simple. I love the G43, shoots great, no issues, yada yada.

BUT, now that I am more confident in my G42, I keep going back to it. I've had all kinds of FTF and FTE issues with round nose good ammo in the .380 flavor. The XTP geometry seems to work in this little guy. Especially Underwood Ammo's XTP +P. I read where they made that round with the G42 in mind, i.e. - it's reputation for being picky.

There is not a lot of difference in size and weight between the 42 & 43, but there is enough to notice - for me anyhow.

Herm

5. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

I'm a suit and tie guy often. When I need to go ultra light weight carry, I go pocket carry with my Kahr P380 in a Sticky holster. There are many good tuckable IWB options out there and if I can go that way, I carry either my G33 or G43.

6. Big Kohle

Big Kohle

The G43/Ruger are the best of both worlds. A Crossbreed Super Tuk, nice pocket holster and you are set!

7. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

I pocket carried a g42 to a wedding in a suit. Worked out fine.

If I worked in an office, i think id be inclined to go with a g43 sized gun in something like a smart carry. To be clear, I've never even tried a smart carry holster, but i think it would be the first thing i tried.

8. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I'm one of those old ducks who is trying to master ONE gun to the best of my ability, leading me to a G43, which I'll be shooting in as many IDPA and BUG matches as my wife says we can afford :) My preferred holster would be a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment, which worked well for me abdomen carrying a G27 with a tucked shirt (despite my extra weight around the middle during those final working years).

Unfortunately, Galco's website still doesn't list the USA style holster as available for the G43 at this point, which leaves me with a DeSantis Sof-Tuck, worn the same way as the USA. In order to maximize the concealment factor, I'll thread my belt opposite my usual direction in order to have the excess of the belt end helping to mask the little kydex tab holding the holster in place.

I'm always flirting with the idea of an ankle holster or shoulder holster for my little gun, but I keep going back to the predictable depletion of fine motor skills in a high-stress deadly encounter. That's why I stick with the AIWB location/holster for deep cover, and a Badger Concealment kydex holster with FBI cant at 3:30 for most of my carry time with an untucked shirt, sweater, fleece or sweatshirt.

To help cover all my potential bases, I've installed an AmeriGlo TFO front sight, which seems ideal for daytime IDPA matches and night duty in the house.

9. HGxyz

HGxyz

The G43 wasn't available before I retired. I carried a G26 in a smart carry holster. I even wore this to dentist appointments where they lay you out flat on your back for the drilling.

10. paragon1

paragon1

The lc9 in an RKBA pocket holster works for me.
    It's fairly lightweight.
    A j frame in a pocket holster is a tried and true method.

11. Guilotine

Guilotine

I carry the 26 or 19 when I wear an untucked shirt. With tucked in shirt both tend to make a bit of a bulge due to thickness but still can conceal just fine. I wouldn't mind having an ultra light pistol for the times when I wanna run down to grab a bite in my sweat pants or when I wanna look professional and not worry about a bulge.

12. glockjunkie34

glockjunkie34

I carry my LCP custom in Uncle Mikes size 1 inside the front pocket and don't even know its there

13. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I have four small single stack carry guns.

Nothing smaller than a Kahr Cm9. 6+1 of 9mm goodness.

Many thousands of rounds from mine without problems. When I carry it it's either in an Aholster front pocket or smartcarry. Invisible, just about.

14. JBP55

JBP55

15. gnystrom

gnystrom

The smallest I can shoot accurately is a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster or PJ's kydex IWB.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Slalom.45

Slalom.45

I just got a G43. In truth I would not consider it "ultra light". I know people hate it, but the LCP is more what I would consider "ultra light" with the 42 on the edge size wise.

FWIW I got the 43 to be my "light" gun instead of the LCP. Just saying, it's definitely a step up in size.

17. Jim

Jim

If you really want light and small, get a S&W 340PD. Use the Hogue Bantam grips for smallest size. Use whatever .38 load you can tolerate the recoil from, but it's gonna hurt with almost anything. They make a similar gun in .22LR so you can practice something similar without destroying your hand.

After 30+ years of the S&W's, I switched to a G42. Slightly less power, but better in every other way if you have one that works.

18. PaseMkr

PaseMkr

Not a fan of .380, but if you need ultra light and small, a Kahr p380

19. Anomander

Anomander

I'm 5'7" at a buck seventy so pocket carry for me is very limited. To do that I probably would choose a keltec p32.

20. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

I'm a Snubnose revolver nut .. I have to many to mention...the pistol I carry when I need a more concealable option is my Taurus TCP 380 .. I found it reliable...