Ultimate production trigger!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jordan3206, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Its a G34 Set up for Production. I have a Reduced Striker spring, Skelotonized striker, Increased power Trigger Spring, Titanium Safety Plunger w/ reduced power spring, and a over travel stop. The bar is polished and the connector is stock and chewed up. Should i replace the connector? With what? Any other suggestions?

2. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

Throw it all out and order a Vanek kit.

3. HK Dan

HK Dan

Yep. Get a Ghost Rocket or Ghost Ultimate.

The advice about the Vanek ain't bad either, but it'll be a couple hundred more than buying a new connector.

4. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Is there a big difference between the connectors that need to be fitted compared to the ones that dont?

5. ede

ede

based on what i found most of your modifications aren't legal. i may be wrong and if so point me in the right direction.

Special conditions:
    — Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal.
    — Unless specifically authorized above, modifications are prohibited. Except
    for Item 7, revolvers are subject to all restrictions above.
    — Ahandgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production
    Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that
    a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available
    to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the
    handgun for compliance.
    21 Authorized modifications
    (Strictly limited to these
    items and their stated
    guidelines)
    •Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy,
    reliability and function
    •Sights – trimmed, adjusted, replaced, colored, or
    fiber-optic.
    •Slide – refinishing. Milling of slide – only as
    required to insert sights.
    •After-market slides and barrels – provided they are
    the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory
    standard.
    •Grips – Internal beveling. Checkering, stippling, and
    addition of grip tape or grip sleeves. (see Appendix
    E4)
    •Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties,
    slide stops, guide rods).

6. English

English

The last item, "•Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties,
    slide stops, guide rods)." might let you get away with all of that apart from the over travel stop, but I don't know how the regulations are interpreted.

If that allows you to replace the connector, anything that only costs $25 must be a minor component, the Ghost Rocket or Tactical connectors are very smooth in my experience and have built in over travel stops which I think are worth having. They are easy enough to fit. Ghost have very full instructions.

English

7. JBP55

JBP55

Plus 1.

8. ede

ede

i think the modified striker and Ti parts might be a problem, but i don't know for sure.

9. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

I think that if they let you exchange a guide rod that a striker would be ok.

10. mboylan

mboylan

Don't just get the basic trigger. Get the whole thing with the custom striker assembly. Reducing the stock spring without changing out the striker can cause light strikes in some guns.

+100 on the all out Vanek kit.

11. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

*post deleted*

No slight against Charlie Vanek was meant, and I apologize for wording my reply the way I did.
    ]

My intent?
    Pick a setup, and stick with it. If you want to modify it, do it now... and leave the gun alone for thousands and thousands of rounds after that. Constantly changing things will only delay your improvment, IMO.

Example: I now shoot an M&P longslide. It took me at least two months of dryfire and 2-3,000 rounds livefire to get to the point where I was as consistently fast & accurate as I was with the 34.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  12. ck1

ck1 Some Dude

+1 to everything except I'd say skip the overtravel stop too since they've been shown to maybe make dry-fire feel better but not really transmit much difference to real shooting (and no "big name GM's" use them either).

Find sights you like that work for your eyes (and if you don't already shoot with both eyes open stop toying with your gun and commit to learn to ASAP, probably nothing else you can do will make more of a positive difference)...
    If you spent the gun upgrade cash on a case of ammo and just practiced and sharpened your skills it'd be money much better spent... Honestly, a stock connector and a .25 trigger job is all you need if your tecnique is locked down.

I'm running a G17 I consider "tricked out" with a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector ($10), and Glockworx reduced power firing pin safety spring ($3, don't even really think I can tell the difference from stock honestly though)... But in truth, I made the changes after burning up quite a bit of ammo with the gun bone stock and can shoot the stock set-up 99.9% as well as the "tricked out" set-up and the changes really don't matter all that much, especially once the buzzer sounds.
    Stance, grip, trigger control, and practice is what matters.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  13. Vanek Custom

Vanek Custom

Email sent.

As far as rules:

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009_Production_Rules_Revisions.pdf

NROI Interpretation for the Production Division Equipment Rules
    (Appendix D4)
    June 25, 2009

Rule 21.6:
    Exchange of minor
    INTERNAL components
    (strikers, sears, springs,
    connectors/disconnectors,
    and other wholly-internal
    parts)

INTERNAL parts: This clause is NOW
    interpreted to mean that a broad range of
    INTERNAL parts may be modified or
    replaced – either with OEM or aftermarket
    parts.
    Special Notes/Clarifications:
    _ Strikers, sears, springs, connectors/
    disconnectors, and any other part which is
    NOT visible when the gun is in battery is
    considered an INTERNAL part and may be
    modified or replaced unless otherwise
    prohibited in these provisions (see section
    22 for specific prohibitions).

14. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

Sevigny shoots a stock trigger, Leatham shoots a 1lb trigger. So-and-so does this, some other guy does that, we can do this all day. Having a 2lb trigger in my Glock lets me shoot better, and makes it more enjoyable to boot. For me that's all that matters.

15. fourrobert13

fourrobert13 I am the law.

Every time I think of lightening the trigger, or adding soming the the internals I talk myself out of it. I carry a bone stock G17 at work (police officer) with a the factory 5lbs trigger. I run my G34 for IDPA the same way (yes a 5lbs trigger) with the exception of a SS guide rod. Personally, I rather just learn the same trigger for all my Glocks rather than a couple different triggers. If they are all the same, I can train and practice the same wether it be my 17, 26, or 34. Just my .02 cents.

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Well said. Yeah, I'm kinda tired of hearing this as well also. I'm sure if you spend a LOT of time practicing with a heavy trigger pull, you will eventually get better.

I'm not looking for an easy way out (I shoot 2000 rounds or so a month), but I definitely like my lighter trigger pull than the stock pull. Why bother?

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A lot of people think "you can learn to be good with a stock trigger but a light trigger makes it easier and faster." Not really true. If you learn the right technique (how to shoot a Glock like a Glock) the stock trigger will actually beat the light trigger every time. Problem is, people who have learned a standard 1911-style trigger technique try to make the Glock work with that type of trigger control, in which case a light trigger is as close to good as you'll get.

In short, the light trigger is a way of adapting the Glock to your shooting technique. I think you can be better by adapting your shooting technique to the Glock.

18. Ticman

Ticman

I think the Ghost Rocket would be a great addition to your gun. Once you get it set you'll have zero over travel. Oh, it's your gun do what you want to it. Nobody else here will be shooting your gun.

19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

This is priceless,............:thumbsup:

20. Golddog

Golddog

The advice above is backwards.

I was in the athletic shoe business for awhile, and I NEVER told a customer to fit his foot to the shoe - I always said "Find a shoe that fits. The shoes are supposed to serve you, not the other way around."

I'd give the same advice to shooters - find a gun that fits you; don't fit yourself to the gun. If you can find something that's easier to shoot well (i.e., a light trigger), why spend precious time mastering a recalcitrant mechanical device?