close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

UL gun w/ commercial ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Oosik, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Oosik

Oosik AT?AVT?AET?WTF?

Thought about building a UL gun, seeing as though I have Glocks-a-plenty laying around lately. Maybe converting my 2nd gen g17.

Now I know you Albatross shooters do you're own reloads, so is it a good idea touse commercial? The primary reason I don't learn reloading is i don't have the room. I live in a 700sq/ft apt and no place to put the stuff except maybe out on the balcony. But if I do that I have to contend with the elements and nosey neighbors wondering what the heck I'm doing.

Anyone shoot commeercial ammo with a UL gun or is everyone reloading?

oosik

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Send a PM to Bruce Warren. I think he's using commercial ammo in his comped 9MM. With no power factor lighter recoil is a good thing, reloads offer that. Get your supplies and you can use our machine, by appointment. ;f Try yo use a 3rd gen frame so you can use a Carver mount.

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

For commercial ammo I would use PMC 115 jhp if on a budget or Triton Hi Master if dont mind spending more for great ammo.

4. Oosik

Oosik AT?AVT?AET?WTF?

Thanks, I'll do that. As for supplies. I wouldn't know what to do if I had them.

why do you need all that silly equipment anyway? just jam the primer in, scoop up some power in the casing and tap the bullet in until it looks right with a ball/peen. All ya'll gettin all scientific and stuff... ;N

5. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

Call me crazy, but I shot a 116.29 in Shreveport this year shooting a mixed bag of 40 S&W. Some 165 gr and 180 gr, some reloads from Georgia Arms and factory ammo. It was my best score yet in UL! I just shot at Anderson and let my brother and friend use my gun and we had all sorts of ammo put in it. FMJ and hollowpoints, you name it and we probably shot it. Since I am new to the UL shooting there is no way I can win so I shoot for the pure fun of it for now. But give me a couple of years and watch out.;o

6. MFinch

MFinch Guest

UMC 115 gr Yellow Box if I don't have time to reload.

7. Bruce Warren

Bruce Warren Millennium Member

I just did a chrnograph test of several brands of ammo last weekend. Here are some of the results. All were fired from my stock 17. I haven't had a chance to test my unlimited yet.
    Wolf 115 gr. 1259 fps
    Silver Bear 115 gr 1110 fps
    Seller & Bellot 115 1129
    PMC 124 gr. 1085
    Mag Tech 115 gr. 1170
    Win Q load 147 gr. 962
    Corbon sub sonic 147 gr. 911

I've been using Wolf all along but I think I'm going to try the Silver Bear in Jacksonville. Much less recoil and muzzle flash. I'd try the Corbon load but this was given to me by a friend and I'm told Corbon doesn't load it any more. This would be an excellent match load if it were still available.
    In my Unlimited gun ( with a BarSto barrel) I've found that Ultramax 125 gr. round nose lead is "THE" load for that gun. I bought some of this to try from Dunham's at $4.95 a box when it was on sale. I bought a case from Jerry's Sport Center for further testing. I'm told Ultramax loads all of CABELA's store ammo and the cost is close to dealer. I don't know the velocity but I'm getting 1"- 1 1/4" groups at 25 yds from a rest and the red dot I'm using has a 15 minute dot which is not the best for accuracy at long distance. I'm thinking of changing to a PDP 5 with a choice of dot sizes before Jacksonville.
    Hope this helps you out.

Hope some of this info helps.

8. Oosik

Oosik AT?AVT?AET?WTF?

So I guess the ideal ammo would be low weight, low velocity for lower recoil?

9. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

For GSSF I go for accuracy first then recoil.