Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...accine-has-only-50-chance-of-working-11993739

Coronavirus 'disappearing' so fast Oxford vaccine has 'only 50% chance of working'

Professor Adrian Hill describes the efforts to create a vaccine as a "race against the virus disappearing, and against time".

There is only a 50% chance of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine working because cases in the UK are declining so fast, one of the scientists behind it has warned.

The University of Oxford's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group began developing a COVID-19 vaccine in January using a virus taken from chimpanzees.

But with the number of UK coronavirus cases dropping every day, there may not be enough people to test it on, according to the institute's director Professor Adrian Hill.

He told The Sunday Telegraph: "It's a race against the virus disappearing, and against time. We said earlier in the year that there was an 80% chance of developing an effective vaccine by September.

"But at the moment, there's a 50% chance that we get no result at all. We're in the bizarre position of wanting COVID to stay, at least for a little while."

Dr. Fauci, Paging Dr. Fauci....

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
IF this is true, it's excellent news!

I will wait for confirmation from other scientists and other news sources.

Color me, skeptical.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,058 Posts
I don’t understand the premise that it can only be tested in the U.K. There are still hotspots around the world that should allow them to finish this thing up.

Otherwise, it’s pretty darned good news.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When I first saw this I thought must be from some fringe news source probably quoting some fringe person. But then I saw from Reuters and they were quoting top guy in UK vaccine development. Don't know who to believe at this point. If it is true one side will claim stay at home worked, other side will say had to get covid 19 and develop immunity. In any case I sure hope covid 19 dies out on its own completely or at least to large degree.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,935 Posts
Wow, just amazing how the Democrats orchestrated the disaster and the response in hundreds of different countries!
It is no secret that the Democrats have magical powers, can stop speeding bullets and leap tall buildings in a single bound. On the other hand, I remember when Russian soldiers were 10 feet tall, so we needed million of our own warriors to meet them at the Fulda Gap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well, good.

I’ve held my breath since all this has begun. That’s why I’ve not gotten the guaranteed death sentence that’s is the corona.

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
We currently have 1.1 million active infections and the number is not going down...

South America is a complete mess..

It looks like there will be folks to test on...

I'm all for allowing non violent prisoners to do challenge testing I'm exchange for a break in sentencing

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The new case and death reports in the UK have clearly peaked and started to drop, but with thousands of new cases and hundreds of new deaths being reported on a daily basis, I don't think this scientist need fear running out of case material anytime soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts