UK Ban on eating dogs blocked by Justice Ministry

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Sep 16, 2019.

1. OldDad

OldDad

My position may not be logically defensible, but I believe that eating dogs is akin to canibalism. For 30 thousand years or more we have forged a relationship with dogs that goes far beyond considering them as livestock. Dogs have developed (and been developed) to be keenly sensitive to the wants and needs of human beings. I guess it seems odd, but even as a social worker, when push comes to shove, as a group I prefer dogs to people. And no, I'm not talking about gastronomy.

2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I’d eat one before I starved or before I let my family starve. Thankfully, we’ve never known that kind of hunger here.

KennyFSU and SevenSixtyTwo like this.

3. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

If that’s your position I’d at least be consistent and get out of the social worker life and get into dog whispering or something.

czsmithGT likes this.
  4. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Fixed it for ya. Much more meat on them.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  5. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Dog wacking is big in NYC. Easy money. I think you need your own poop bags, but leashes might be required to be the owners'.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  6. BUG'S

BUG'S

No just save a piece for me. Sorry if I over reacted but I have lived with dogs all my life and I consider them family. I like dogs more than most people.

mike from st pe and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  7. JFrame

JFrame

So, people aren't allowed to have the cultural norms of their country, but anyone from another country can force their cultural predilections on them? :headscratch:

8. Sechott

Sechott

9. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 Free Actor

Nathans MUST be grilled. The ORIGINAL Nathans, with natural casing.
    All other dogs are dog food.
    That is all.

10. OldDad

OldDad

Don't get me wrong. I love people and am fulfilled helping them. Notice that I said "as a group;" In my long life I have encountered more unpleasant or evil people than dogs.

Just Glocks likes this.
  11. Terry G

Terry G

The thing is Dog was a perfectly acceptable food source in much of the world in not so ancient times. Native Americans in the nineteenth century ate Dog like we eat beef. Asian cultures regard Dog (Korea is big on Dog meat)as an expensive delicacy. I would have to be starving to look at my Dog as "Slab of Lab", but we really have no right (neither does the UK) on telling people of other cultures what to eat or not eat. I (unknowingly) ate Water Rat on several occasions. If you have been to the Orient or Africa you've probably eaten something you rather wouldn't have. IMG_0314.JPG

czsmithGT and Dave514 like this.
  12. JFrame

JFrame

I've seen the videos from China and Korea of the brutality suffered by dogs before, and in the process, of being killed... Ostensibly to make the meat taste better.

Eff people who do that. I hope every one of those perpetrators suffers some level of the same torment they inflicted on those dogs.

shadowgunner9, badge315 and Nucflash like this.
  13. thewitt

thewitt

This is actually an illegal, minority practice in Asia, though the coverage makes it look like it’s mainstream.

Dogs are bred for food in Korea. It’s one breed, and they are raised like sheep, not pets. I’ve been to a dog farm, and it’s no different from any farm in the US.

I’ve eaten dog, cat, horse, guinea pig - all domestic farm animals. I’ve also eaten plenty of “bush meat” in countries where farm animals are the exception.

We are higher on the food chain, and yes it’s a normal practice in much of the world.

Horse is raised as food in France and Japan...hardly 3rd world countries.

Yes these are odd to those living in the US, but so is eating snake, pig brains, iguana and much more.

mike from st pe and czsmithGT like this.
  14. pokersamurai

pokersamurai

15. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

People who think eating dog meat is wrong are privileged enough not to know what starvation is like.

Fellow dog owner here, love dogs and would never eat one myself but I've been to countries where people eat whatever they can get.

Terry G likes this.
  16. JFrame

JFrame

For being "illegal," they sure seem to practice it routinely. :upeyes:

"Brutality as a form of tenderizing" doesn't even meet the barest standard of a civilized society.

This is a level of moral relativism to which I choose not to subscribe.

badge315 and Nucflash like this.
  17. thewitt

thewitt

I’ve spoken with many people in many countries who eat dog and they all say the practice is not common - and it won’t make the meat more tender by the way.

Anyone who has ever raised meat animals will tell you that doesn’t work. You want tender? See how Kobe beef are raised for world class tender.

The dog farms in Korea restrict the dogs activities for the same reason. No one wants long, stringy muscle fiber in a meat animal.

I get it you find it abhorrent, but the practice is not as portrayed in the PETA videos in most cases. Street dogs are not on the menu.

mike from st pe and czsmithGT like this.
  18. JFrame

JFrame

In any case, I suppose this thread should not drift to an animal rights issue.

It's about whether an established culture has the right to carry on and support its cultural norms, and not be subject to pressure and bullying to accept and/or condone the predilections of other cultures.

KennyFSU likes this.
  19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Have you not noticed how we treat chickens in this country?

KennyFSU likes this.
  20. JFrame

JFrame

And pigs... I don't like that either.

But when you see videos of dogs being strangled, dogs being beaten, dogs being strangled while being beaten, and dogs being driven down ramps into huge vats of boiling water (all the while kicking with their back paws as they slide toward their inevitable fate), it puts animal brutality into a whole new context.