close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Uhhhhh Crap ......What the heck is going on with my brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by warhog, Mar 29, 2010.

1. warhog

warhog

I have been reloading for a while so I finally shot enough .300 WM to reload and the lee full size die has worked good in the past now it's brutal sizing the brass especially near the belt. The shoulder on the nickle brass is good some of the brass ones have little waves on them. I don't know I have not noticed the waves before on the brass before they are small but can be seen and barely felt, the brass has one firing on it and it is Winchester, the nickle is Federal.

I am scratching my head, the die is clean, I am torn between tossing the brass a KM on a .300 would not be good. Anybody have any ideas on what is going on? or a suggestion?

The original loads we not hot and within standards.

2. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

Full sizing is hard on cases. I had over 300 pieces of .308 Win brass that I had to toss because they started getting to long in the shoulder and wouldnt even chamber in my rifle. I bought a neck sizing die and it has alleviated the problems with the brass stretching. If you want to extend the use of your brass, get a neck sizing die...

BG

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Sounds to me like the brass has gotten "work hardend". It's getting hard and more brittle from being stretched and resized too much. This assumes everything else you are doing has remained the same.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Most nickel cases tend to run through the sizing die a bit easier than brass so when we size brass we inadvertently apply a bit too much lube to the case... just to even things up a bit.

You're probably using one of the new spray lubes which shouldn't pose as much as a problem but the old method of using a lube pad and grease lube will often leave small shoulder dents from even a little too much lube. I much more common problem in the past than it is now I imagine.

Jack

5. fredj338

fredj338

You are right, neck sizing extends the life of the brass, but FL sizing is the only way to bump the shoulder back to the original spec so it will chamber.
    I suspect there is an issue w/ the way the die is setup or it's the crappy Lee QC. Sometimes they just make a poor product, & your sizing die may be the problem. The longshot issue could be you have a slightly oversize chmaber w/ a slightly undersized die.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. BurkGlocker

Mine stretch so much that it starts buckling the shoulder so they cannot be used anymore.

BG

7. fredj338

fredj338

After one firing? Then you have a headspace issue. Neck sizing or partial FL sizing, so the round headspaces on the shoulder & NOT the belt, will extend case life. Not uncommon w/ many belted rounds. The chambers get s sloppy cut & the belt is supposed to take up the headspace issue. Sure it works, but makes reloading the cases pretty frustrating. You should have a gunsmith check it just for your own education, but that is my bet.

8. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Here you go. A very common issue with belted magnum cases has a solution that should get you plenty of case life. The belted magnum collet resizing die......$89.95.
    With the cost of new brass being as high as it is, this will pay for itself in short order.
    http://www.larrywillis.com/

9. BurkGlocker

No, not after one firing, after repeated resizing.

10. dudel

dudel

If it's work hardened, annealing will take care of that. OP, what lube are you using?

11. fredj338

fredj338

If you are full length sizing, this is going to happen in a slightly sloppy chamber. Again, not uncommon w/ belted cases. Neck sizing or partial FL sizing will help extend the brass life & your ammo will be more accurate.

12. dudel

dudel

The only way the case is going to stretch on resizing is due to the expander ball. Do you lube the inside of the case with mica? Do you have a carbide expander button? Is your expander within spec? Too much drag pulling the expander back out through the case neck could stretch the brass; but that's, well, a stretch. Check the size of your expander. Make sure it's clean. It wouldn't be the first time an expander ball and decapping pin for one caliber got swapped for another.