close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Uh, oh G17G4 range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bdcremer, Jul 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bdcremer

bdcremer

My new G17G4 ran 200 rounds without any problems. Although 200 rounds is not a lot, I ran the gun fast and hot. No FTfeed, FTextract or FTeject. Recorded a video to see if the brass was ejecting in the appropriate direction and believe it or not it did.

I am a fickle pistol owner so I have swapped out for other gen. 4 Glocks. Of the three other gen. 4's I owned, I have not experienced any of the issues purported. I know every pistol has a trade off but in my quest to find the pistol with the least amount, I think I found it with the G17G4.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frank V

Frank V

Thanks for that report. Congratulations. I'm pretty sure you are going to enjoy that Glock.
    Frank

3. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

You've owned THREE Gen4 Glocks without any problems?! I don't believe it! Surely you're lying! The "sky is falling" crowd here on GlockTalk assures me that all Gen4 Glocks are junk!!

Congrats on the G17, shipmate. Glad you're happy with it!!

4. PROderboom

PROderboom

What ammo did you put through it?

5. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

He's OBVIOUSLY using the proper grip and is NOT using federal maroon box (non NATO spec ammo)...

:tongueout:

6. smitty704

smitty704

Lol. Yup! Thats exactly what I was told when my late model gen 3 G19 was spraying my face with brass and had frequent stovepipes with all ammo including HP's. Now that Glock exchanged it with a gen 4 G19 with all current parts(ejector, extractor, RSA) it has been flawless for almost 2700 rounds of mostly cheap federal champion 115g FMJ's.

Imagine that, it wasn't my grip, and stance after all. And I don't have to "just wear a hat" to stop the brass from hitting my face!:supergrin:

Glad your gen 4's running for ya. I think they got most of the kinks worked out. Hope it continues to serve you well. Keep us posted!

7. bdcremer

bdcremer

150 rounds of 115 grain American Eagle & 50 rounds of 115 grain PMC. While shooting I never felt the pistol wanting to hiccup. The American Eagle was more accurate than the PMC.

On another note, I cannot stand Glock factory sights. Got my self a set of Trijicon HD's on order.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Nice to hear your G17 is functioning well.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G17.

10. DASA

DASA

Could you be so kind as to explain, in your experience, what the GEN 4 G17 does for you that the GEN 3 G17 does not? I'm trying to decide which G17 to purchase so your insight would be helpful. I love my pencil barrel 1986 import G17 but I'd like to get a new one to hammer and give the original a bit of rest.
    Thanks in advance.

11. johnd

johnd

When my Dept went to G4 Glocks in 45GAP from 40 cal Berettas the HL instructors spent an inordinate amount of time telling us how wonderful they would be, that the are the AK of pistols etc. I already had Glocks so I know they were good.
    However nothing prepared me for the "3days of transition training" and how impressive it was. From out of the box we ran about 1300 rounds with no cleaning and mostly in the dirt on our bellies, sideways, upside down, around barriers etc etc. We racked the weapons with belts, buckles, cinder blocks, boots and wheel rims. We dropped them in the sand to pick them up support handed to emulate being shot in the strong hand. Each day we looked like racoons from all the dirt and smoke on our faces but the weapons never once misfired, 21 of us with 1300 rounds each right out the box.
    Very impressive and Im sure the Berettas could NEVER have done that.

12. erkman

erkman Sleepy Member

Congrats on your new G17. I love mine, and like yours have had no malfunctions through 500 rounds.

13. DASA

DASA

Johnd,
    Do you work for the Florida Highway Patrol? They've been using the .45 GAP Glock since switching from the Beretta 96 for awhile now. The Beretta has a much larger grip than the GAP, the Glock fits a lot of the smaller handed (female) officers much better than the 96. I've had great reliability from 92 series Berettas as long as you keep a drop or two of lube on the locking block. Especially impressed with the rust resistance of the black Beretta finish, no rust after many, many hours of super sweaty IWB carry on the mean streets of South Florida. I have an ex-Canadian Mountie trade-in Beretta 96D that is my airline travel gun. I only paid $250 OTD for it and it has never choked. If the airline ramp rats ever "lose" the pistol, I won't even raise an eyebrow, just smile when I get the check from the airline for an amount more than I paid. The 96 .40 pistols will run 9mm all day long with just a simple barrel and locking block swap from a 92, using the same mags just like a Glock 20 with a conversion barrel. Used police trade-in 92-96 series Berettas are a good value at $375 and below. The Vertecs are especially sweet, they feel like a 1911 grip, nice and skinny. Enough about the Beretta.
    What can the GEN 4 G17 do for me that the GEN 3 G17 can't? Besides cost me more money. Help me decide. Thanks.

14. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

There's nothing one does better than the other as a whole, YOU need to decide if the different features of the Gen 4 are worth the additional cost to you. The Gen 4's bring an extra mag, are textured different, have multiple back straps, larger magazine release, different (dual spring) RSA, etc, etc.

No one can decide for you, because you might not like or care for the same features that someone else does.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

T-Minus 300 rounds...................

once the extractor starts to wear in the out-of-spec slide, it begins :(

16. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Wht kind of holster is that?

17. bdcremer

bdcremer

Kaluban Cloak.

18. bdcremer

bdcremer

Interesting theory. What part of the slide would be out of spec?

I used to work at a gun range and we had a rental G17G4. It was a late 2010/ early 2011 model, I do not remember what version of RSA but it had the 336 ejector. We never saw the issues with this rental pistol.

19. DASA

DASA

Thanks for the recap on the GEN 4 features, but I'm pretty familiar with them already. I was hoping to hear from the OP on HIS opinion why the GEN 4 G17 beats out all other generations of the G17. When the OP makes a statement like:

" I know every pistol has a trade off but in my quest to find the pistol with the least amount, I think I found it with the G17G4."

Surely he has a strong affinity for this gun over all others of it's type. I was hoping to hear more, that's all.
    My current position/opinion is that Glock needed to freshen up cosmetically their lineup of products to boost sales. Much like the auto companies do every year in-between major model redesigns. The new "features" on the GEN 4 frankly don't interest me much unless they somehow combine to produce a product that is more than the sum of it's parts. I really haven't read anything that leads me to believe this is the case.
    As it stands now, a new GEN 3 G17 is probably in my future.

Stay Safe.

20. Wayloss

Wayloss

I own a Gen 4 17, 23, and 26 All of them well north of 1000rds through them and the only hickups have been 2 Failure to fire's from dud .40 rds. I have shot Steel and aluminum cased rds as well as brass. They chew through tula, WWB, Federal AE and federal champion, federal +p SD, Magtech 124gr, magtech 115.
    On the other hand my g17L hates light ammo and will FTE, FTF, drop brass on my hand, or run it up my arm. We had the GSSF armorer take a look and swapping out a 10coil spring for an 11 fixed the FTF....