close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

UFC Bans Guns & Hunting Sponsors At FOX & FUEL Events

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by williamN, Jan 22, 2012.

1. williamN

williamN

http://themmacorner.com/2012/01/17/guns-and-ammunition-sponsors-banned-from-fox-events/

Although the UFC’s seven-year deal with Fox is still in its infancy, the effects of the deal are beginning to trickle through the MMA world.

The MMA Corner has learned from sources close to the situation that the latest impact is that guns and ammunition sponsors, such as The Gun Store and Ammotogo.com, have been banned from events that take place on the Fox family of networks.

The Gun Store, based in Las Vegas, has sponsored numerous fighters in recent years, from heavyweight Shane Carwin to lightweight Spencer Fisher. The location has also hosted prominent fighters such as light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (pictured), UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture and MMA legend Wanderlei Silva.

Fighters competing at events that air on Fox, FX or Fuel TV will have to find other sponsors for their bouts.

The first such event takes place this Friday, Jan. 20, in Nashville, Tenn., marking the inaugural event on the FX network (although the UFC 142 prelims aired on the network on Jan. 14). The promotion then makes its second appearance on the Fox network the following weekend in Chicago.

After further examination of the aforementioned UFC 142 preliminary bouts, guns and ammunition sponsors were noticeably absent from both fighter banners and shorts.

At this point in time the ban does not appear to affect pay-per-view main card fighters, but any fighters taking part in Fox-broadcast preliminary card fights will be impacted as they shift from Facebook to Fuel TV in 2012.

*UPDATE* – The MMA Corner has learned that the ban includes guns, knives, ammunition, and hunting. It will go into effect on Jan. 23.

2. frank4570

frank4570

3. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Because guns are violent, duh.

4. TX expat

TX expat

5. frank4570

frank4570

6. cyphertext

cyphertext

I'm doubt that the folks that would get their panties in a wad over a firearm, knife, or hunting sponsor are watching UFC anyway.

7. TX expat

TX expat

Unfortunately that pretty much sums it up. While I enjoy firearms and related gear, I totally understand why the UFC management would make that choice. They have a number of battles ahead as they push MMA as a mainstream entertainment choice, and that's one I can see not being worth the hassles that it will inevitably cause.

8. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Hard to see how people who tune into an event expecting to see individuals pound each other into a bloody pulp would be put off by a gun ad. But hey, what do I know...:whistling:

9. hallnh727

hallnh727

Agree 100%

My guess is Dana White isn't anti-gun from this video
    :50 seconds into it
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-05ErRVTNk&feature=plcp&context=C3d4d2edUDOEgsToPDskK-mui38k2s-7HHhT3k-GWw"]Dana White ALDO vs FABER video blog - 4/19/10 - YouTube[/ame]

10. WDN

WDN

BS! They will always have some battles as they move into mainstream. I can't see it being that big of a issue that they would run from. A legal activity that their guys gain income by. Just an advertisement on the shorts or some hunting gear. I'll still watch the fights but, I wont pay for them.

11. MarinePride

MarinePride

I have never supported the UFC with the purchase of any of their fights or products, I don't build my life around any sport worship. This just confirms that they are willing to conform to make it more appealing. A fighting sport should not compromise like this. Of course, it's all about the money and perceived image.

After that bum referee call in Rio a few weeks ago, maybe I'll turn it off for good.

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

They have every right. I have every right not to watch them nor support their sponsors.

13. mikesull415

mikesull415

Bout to see an influx of household "named" grills and such. Lol

14. mikesull415

mikesull415

I just hope nobody picks the juicer......... Learning from past mistakes and all that. Lol

15. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Always seemed like a pretty metrosexual crowd at events to me to be honest :dunno:

16. Sharkey

Sharkey

I think it is crap and I'm a big UFC fan. First Dana White and his 2 partners put on the first show on Fox and it totally blows and White calls the fans whiners and now this? What are they, freakin' ebay and paypal now?

I guess the cash to go mainstream is what matters. Maybe the non title fighters can get a bigger paycheck?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. PAGunner

PAGunner

First of all, any "gun" or ammo sponsors probably aren't the biggest sponsors. Once you make it to a major network like Fox there are certain concessions you have to make. I guarantee Dana White is not a libtard, not even close to one, he's just doing what he has to do, to make the UFC all that it can be.

This definitely won't deter me in anyway from following the best sport known to man, no way no how.

18. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

The irony is palpable... :upeyes:

19. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Wal-Mart, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mt., are mainstream and they sell guns and ammunition.

Budweiser (beer) is okay, but firearms are not?

Makes no sense.

20. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

I can see it now........

"Andy Dick vs. Carrot Top" for the UFC Championship!!

:upeyes: