close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubuntu Hypothesis

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Aug 29, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello to all again,
    I have Ubuntu Dapper installed on a primary hardrive and W2K on the secondary with dual-boot as per our fellow member WDC's advice.
    Using a Compusa (Realtek RTL8185) Wireless lan card. With W2K I can connect to my Router using WPA-PSK. Using plain install configuration (which installed RTL818X driver's from DVD) or with NetworkManager (same driver) I can only connect with OPEN System WEP with 64Bit encryption in Ubuntu. I updated the Windows driver for the card BTW.
    NetworkManager (gnome application) only provides a WEP Open/Shared encryption and password option.
    My hypothesis is that the Ubuntu drivers are old and don't allow WPA thus NetworkManager only shows WEP and that may be why I can't connect without WEP open. Is this possible?
    My current problem (other than sloth/inexperience/failing eyesight, etc.) is that I do not seem to have ndiswrapper to use the
    Windows driver. Also no knowledge of how to do it. I have the Unix 2.6 drivers from Realtek also. To use these I will have to recompile won't I??????????? Can anyone assist with a program to allow Ubuntu to use Windows drivers/ Tell me how to obtain ndiswrapper and it's use/ OR help with using the latest Realtek Unix drivers. This is a long explanation, but I could use the help (can't seem to find anything helpful(to me) on the Ubuntu forum. Thanks in advance.
    pascal

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Have you updated Ubuntu?There may be a graphical tool in Ubuntu for this like synaptic package manager.Even if there isn'tmyou can open a commandline terminal and type,

"su" press Enter

"(root password)" press Enter

"apt-get update" press Enter(leave a space between apt-get and update).If it has a package manager it may be best to use that.

3. pascal

pascal

Hey WDC,
    Yes I updated with Synaptic. When in terminal I type 'ndiswrapper' it gives a couldn't find it, also with sudo ndiswrapper. Am I mispelling or wrong context???? Thanx
    pascal

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

5. pascal

pascal

Believe I got ndis on with the ndiswrapper-utils and ndisgtk. It came up and took the Windows driver. Shows that it is installed and the device is present. Using the 'Networking' I still only get a connect screen with a WEP encryption type. I deleted all locations and even rebooted a couple of times. It seems as if I will not succeed:sad: . Thanks for the links.
    When I installed Ubuntu it asked for a name and password. I supplied it but this doesn't take when asked for the root password. Although it takes most of the time when accessing programs that require a password. Do you know my mistake?
    pascal