close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn release....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Apr 19, 2007.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Final release was posted this morning....
    http://www.ubuntu.com

I've had it on my laptop for a few weeks, and it seems to work quite well. I'm backing up data now, and I'm gonna switch my desktop. The servers for the standard download, seem bogged down right now, but I've got the torrent coming in around 600k.

IGF

2. Perrito

Perrito Millennium Member

Isn't that the truth, it's taking forever to download the DVD version of Kubuntu Feisty. Look forward to checking it out once it's done!

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I imagine by now its probably done, but the Torrents are still working great.

I've yet to see the DVD version of the distros, where did you download this? Most of the downloads are around 700mb which will fit on a CDR if you want to use that instead.

Good luck

IGF

4. Perrito

The DVD torrent was linked on Kubuntu's website also, on the download page just scroll past all the countries and it's a link all by itself. I imagine it's done by now too.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That version you're downloading(or downloaded), is 6.06 Dapper Drake(note the name of the iso file). Thats also why its likely so slow, nobody is seeding it, as all the mirrors are putting their resources towards seeding Feisty right now.

6.06 is a good distro if you need Long Term Support. It won't have the most current kernel, or software packages. I believe its support life cycle expires after 3yrs, which means probably early next year, all other versions have a 6mo life cycle.

Dapper was released as current in June 06
    Edgy 6.10 was released in Oct. 06
    Feisty 7.04 in April 07.

IGF

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I had to wait a bit for the Xubuntu CD.It comes out a few days later.I tried the live CD but used the other CD for the install because I wanted the the boot loader on a floppy.This verison seems faster than older versions and adding 3rd party software is easier.I've got it on a 733Mhz Pentium III with 256MB of RAM.

7. Perrito

No, the version I downloaded is the DVD iso for Kubuntu 7.02. I just installed this afternoon (dual booting XP) but was only able to mess with it for an hour or so. I love how it just kept all my settings such as my desktop configuration, firefox settings, thunderbird settings, etc. I still had to install firefox and thunderbird, but my settings remained intact once they were installed with adept. Too cool as this is the first time I upgraded to a new version since I've only been messing around with Kubuntu for about 4 months now. With Feisty I love what I see. It runs faster without a doubt (all apps I've tried so far launch faster than with Dapper Drake). I love it!

8. nickg

nickg

i downloaded Ubuntu from this site last night:
    http://www.cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/en-US/index.html

i like the fact that this allows you to run Ubuntu basically as an app within Windows. no need to partition, no burning a live CD, etc. at the startup screen just choose whether you want to boot to Ubuntu or Windows. to switch, just restart and choose again. if you don't like it you can just go into Windows add/remove and uninstall it.

took a while to get it setup up as i had to reinstall it a 2nd time when it got stuck on 85%.

but once i got it up and running it was no problem other than FINALLY finding out why my sound card wasn't working properly. played around though and found the fix and now it's running pretty damn good. well, at least as far as i can see from only playing with it for a few hours.

one question: should i install a software firewall to run with Linux? my hardware router is set to the highest protection mode, but just wonder if software firewall protection is still needed.

but then again, since it is basically running as an app in windows shouldn't my Windows Firewall work just the same.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Even if you installed it as a Dual Boot, Its highly unlikey you'd actually need a software firewall under Ubuntu.

IGF

10. nickg

nickg

the other night i thought i came across a thread on the Ubuntu forum that stated it has a built-in firewall thru iptables...whatever that is worth.

11. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

"desktop effects" sure are puuuuurdy! :rollsmiley: :rollsmiley: :rollsmiley:

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Indeed, Ive never configured it, and honestly, I completely forgot about it till you mentioned it. There's also a couple of software firewalls that can be downloaded. I can't think of their names off the top of my head though.

Still, if you have a hardware firewall/router, its probably unecessary to mess with IPtables.

IGF

13. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Anyone know what version would run on an old (1999-ish) Gateway workstation? The BIOS is to old for everything I've tried to load on it.

Thanks.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Whats the exact specs of the system?

Most likely, you're looking at Xubuntu.

http://www.xubuntu.com

Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to use at least 128 MB RAM.

If you only have 64mb of Ram, from the looks of it, you'll need to use the Alternate Install CD. If you're system is older than that... You're probably looking at something way more complicated. Slack might run on a less powerful system, Vector linux might also.

I'd personally, would probably look at Fluxbuntu.

http://www.fluxbuntu.com

IGF

15. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Xubuntu is made for older PC's but isn't the fastest and on an old PC even slower.The latest version is faster than previous version so if you try Xubuntu make sure you get the latest one.The most complete Linux for older PC's old itself but does it all and is fairly fast.It's Litrix 2.1 EX the only English version of Litrix.Everything is English except the installer which is simple in Linux terms though and Firefox is the Portguese version but runs in English more.You will only note a few Portuguese names on tools.Mozilla is all English as are the other programs.It can run as a live CD without installing too.

The litrix download is a zip file so it must be unzipped before making the CD.

ftp://litrix.codigolivre.org.br/pub/litrix/Litrix-EX/Litrix-EX-iso/litrix-EX.iso.zip

For a small,fast download and updated though limited features try Damn Small Linux.It's also a live CD that can be installed.It's very stripped down but software can be added and it's good on old hardware.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/dsl-3.3.iso

Xubuntu

Live CD

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/feisty/release/xubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso

Install CD

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/feisty/release/xubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso

I find Damn Small Linux more stable than Puppy Linux but Puppy Linux is best if left as a live CD with a home folder on the hard drive instead of installing it.

Puppy Linux

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-215CE-Final.iso

16. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

17. nickg

nickg

supposedly the built-in firewall is on by default. so that's a plus i guess.

18. jhall

jhall

Well, I decided to take the plunge with installing a Linux distro, and now dual boot Windows/Ubuntu.

Been running Ubuntu for a couple hours now, and it seems to work fine. I've got my audio and video working, which I didn't have when I tried Knoppix.

So far I like it. Will take some getting use to though.