close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubuntu and my CD drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GixxerSixxer, Mar 8, 2007.

1. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

How do I safely remove my CD drive or a USB device when running Ubuntu? If I pop out my CD drive the OS locks up on me really bad, I can't even move the mouse.

Also, how do I manually run "dpkg --configure - a"?

I was in the middle of an update DL and the computer froze. Now the OS recognizes there are 18 updates left to install but I'm told I have to manually run that dpkg before I can get the DLs.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

When you are finished your work, or want to remove the USB drive, right click on the desktop icon, and click Eject at the bottom. The USB device icon will dissappear from the desktop, and you can unplug the USB drive.

3. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

How do I remove the CD drive safely?

If I select "Eject" for it then it just opens up the drive.

My computer came with another battery that I can put in place of my CD drive but if I remove the CD drive without safely removing it the OS locks up and won't do anything.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, you're dealing with two different problems. A USB device, do exactly what DC said, and you shouldn't have any problems, or at least I never have.

As for the CD drive, I'm not really sure on that one, you can try to use a terminal and unmount the drive, and see if that works. If you have to do that, you'll likely have to manually remount it when you plug it back in. That may/may not work, as when you remove a disk, the drive is already unmounted.

Unfortunately, I'm not a 100% sure on the command to do that, I think it might be umount /dev/cdrom to unmount it.

IGF

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That doesn't necessarily happen because you crashed during the update. Its happened to me once for no apparent reason at all.

Just open a terminal, and run the command it lists in that box, so in this case.. ."sudo dpkg --configure - a" It worked fine for me when I had this problem.