close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

uber audio

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Clyde in CO, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

okey dokey

I just hooked up my fancy new 7.1 speakers, I played some mp3's and poped in a DVD, but I'm still not getting full surrond sound. Everything's connected, I think the stuff I'm playing just doesn't have that many channels of audio.

what's the best way to test my audio output?

any sources I can try that have that many channels?

thanks for the help.

end of line.

2. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

thanks for the program!

It's still not working tho.....

I configured windows to '7.1 wide configuration speakers'

but still nothing.

I was wrong, I'm only getting the subwoofer and front speakers. No center speaker.

there is a big yellow question mark in the device manager for 'multimedia audio controller', under 'other devices'.

windows tries to find a driver and can't. I have the disk for the sound card, a sound blaster live 24 bit.

any help would still be appreciated........

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If that's your new Asus it's best to get the sound card as far from the video card as you can.The video card can cause electrical interference to the sound card.Put the sound card in the pci slot farthest from the video card.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Some speaker systems have separate drivers for the speakers,separate from the sound card drivers.

6. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

well I did the auto update and the creative site, said I had the newest versions of everything.

downloaded that file from the dell site, when I try to install get the error "setup did not detect the required components. setup will exit"

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Which speakers are you using?

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I don't see that one on Creative's website.They have the Inspire T7700.It might be newer than their website or marketed for another country.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Speaker test only outputs from two front speakers

If you connect speakers to your sound card using a digital cable (RCA/SPDIF or optical) then the software speaker test will only output from two speakers.The reason for this is that the speaker test signal is not in AC3 nor DTS format.

The signal on a digital connection is either:
    Optical SPDIF - which is either Stereo PCM signal or AC-3/DTS Bitstream
    RCA SPDIF - which is either Stereo PCM signal or AC-3/DTS Bitstream

If you play AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS encoded signals, the amplifier decodes this and outputs it to all 6 speakers (5 satellites & subwoofer) discretely.

When playing back stereo signals (such as Wav/CD Audio or MP3/WMA files) the amplifier may generate 5.1 output based on the incoming stereo PCM signal, provided Dolby Pro Logic decoding is available and activated.

Therefore the speaker test should not be relied on when using RCA or Optical digital connections.

This applies to all speaker systems equipped with RCA or Optical digital connections.

Once a system offers a multichannel digital interface such as Creatives Digital DIN (DTT 3500, Inspire 5700) or 4-Pole mini jack (MegaWorks 510 D / 650 D), 3 stereo PCM signals can be transferred simultaneously.

Using either of those connections, the speaker test will function properly, as all available channels can be transferred to the speaker system within the digital domain.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Test the side speakers with a different audio source such as a portable CD player. Replace the cable connected to your sound card side jack, and connect it to the test source such as a portable CD player or portable MP3 player. See if this problem lies on the speaker or sound card.