close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

UATX form factor?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by charlisity, Nov 6, 2006.

1. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I am going to put together a new a micro tower pc but the motherboard that I decided on says its a uATX Form Factor, 9.6" x 9.6" (24.5cm x 24.5cm).

I've never heard of this form so I thought I'd better check before I bought it.

Here is the Mobo link:
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?&scriteria=MB-BA22827

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

http://www.directron.com/case.html

microATX/SFX/uATX Form Factor - Computer manufacturers continue to want to shrink the size of their systems, and Intel has been happy to oblige, with another variant on the basic ATX theme called "microATX". As the name implies, microATX is not only smaller still than Mini ATX, it is actually smaller than even NLX. microATX is intended for the very low end market that Intel has decided to target with force.

Technically, it could be said that microATX is not even really a case form factor, because microATX is in fact a motherboard standard. However, with the smaller microATX motherboards, manufacturers are creating smaller cases to fit. To complement microATX, Intel created a new, low-output power supply design called SFX. SFX power supplies are designed to work with not only microATX systems, but also NLX and regular ATX systems, and this is why these power supplies were not called microATX. SFX and microATX are sometimes used interchangeably, or together, in describing this general physical format. The term uATX may also be used to refer to microATX form factor.

3. Bronson7

Bronson7

That looks like a nice board with the latest on-board graphics. If you're in to no more than light/medium gaming it should make for a very good general purpose rig. In the past two years, I've built five rigs, all of which were with micro boards. Like I said, they are a great value if you're not into heavy gaming. Asus has a loyal following but I've stayed away from them because I understand they're very, very picky about ram, but I honestly can't say. There supposed to be high quality board though. Like I mentioned, to me you can't beat the value. One thing you may want to think about (I've run into this problem) is that I notice there are no com ports on the output side which means you'll have to add the plug-in in an available pci on the case. Those micro cases are very limited on those. I also see an HDTV hook-up that needs to be added to the case also. If you ever want to add a capture card or anything else, you're going to run out of case access in a hurry. If down the road, you decide you want to do some serious gaming and install a beefy vid card, well, you get the point. Unless you absolutely need/want a micro tower, I would suggest going with a mid-tower ATX that supports the micro atx form ( there are plenty out there) plus you'll get better cooling to boot. Those micro cases are cute, but to me, not very practical.
    Bronson7

4. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I'm posting from a home brew microATX system. Abit NF-95 socket 939 (don't buy one.. no bios overclocking) and In Win Jap Steel case..

The only real complaint I have is with the case - not enough drive space.. I'm runing RAID0 system and RAID0 data .. that's 4 drives..

Other than that.. it's ok.. My next system will be regular ATX though..

5. Blue59

Blue59

Just to confuse you even more-- http://logisysus.com/ specializes in mini-PC systems, and many don't cost a lot. Most of them aren't hardly gaming rigs, but for everything else they can do well enough. Most of these are "barebones" micro systems, where the mobo is non-standard size and comes already with a case specially for it.
    ~