U.S. Standard Versus Metric System

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. as400guy1

as400guy1

Well, there's 7 mouse ears to one cubic ham bone.
    If that helps.

Haldor likes this.
  2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ha-Ha. Not too long ago when there were still sardine canneries in Maine, they measured the amount of fish on a boat in hogsheads. No idea if any other industry uses that standard now.

3. Critch

Critch

We should have went metric a long time ago. Thomas Jefferson was wanting to do this during his presidency, but a few things got in the way. Metric is nice because everything works together, units of weight, length, volume, mass, temperature etc are all tied together...I was schooled heavily in both.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yseldOMcT4Q&t=627s

cbetts1 likes this.
  4. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

I'm a cabinetmaker try dealing with customers who only know inches, 96 inch high wall is 2,438.4 mm yes thats much easier. 36 inch high counter top is 914.5 lots of door pulls are 96 mm 3.779 inches, their are only a few instances that mm makes more since the rest of it not so much. unfortunately the high end machinery and hardware is all metric.

Caver 60 likes this.
  5. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Another conversion
    Bud Light label
    12 oz (355ml)
    Actually
    12 oz converted to ml
    12 oz aprox 354.882 ml

6. Caver 60

Caver 60

I've only waded through the first two pages.

I remember in the 50's they tried to teach the metric system. Had to learn it. The US will soon be going metic. Still waiting.

I can see where it is useful for somethings. I'm sort of getting roughly used to it for some things.

But I hate it for working on machinery and vehicles. In my fathers garage I carried 3/8" X 7/16" and 1/2" X 9/16" end wrenches in my pocket along with a pair of pliers and a regular and phillips head screwdriver.

I could do about 60% of the small routine jobs I needed to do with those tools alone. And we had plenty of other tools available for the other jobs. I could look at a bolt and know if I needed a 13/16 or 3/4 inch wrench the first time around.

With every bolt and nut made in Millimeters or factions of a millimeter these days, there is no way to look at a bolt and get the correct wrench or socket the first time. Perhaps a professional who works full time at it can tell. But I sure can't. With mixtures of SAE and Meric on many vehicles, it really compounds the problems.

pizza_pablo, FullClip and larry_minn like this.
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Yes it DID make sense. I am more comfortable with SAE. But in most everything metric makes more sense. We should adapt what’s better.

Instead of remembering “ water freezes 32 it boils 212f “ just 0c and 100c

8. OXMYX

OXMYX

Chinese use a base 16 system. We all know that a billion and half Chinese can't be wrong.

pizza_pablo and FullClip like this.
  9. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Only one thing harder than Chinese Algebra.....

10. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Well, standard, of course, but metric is easy enough to deal with.
    When I was in about fifth grade (1975-ish), my public elementary school, in the suburbs of New Orleans, started teaching us the metric system. After about two weeks of all of us dating "what?", they stopped and we never heard of it again.
    I know that's bad, but it sure is funny.

My 1978 Z28 had standard hardware on the drive train and metric on the body. That was fun.

I drive into Canada, for work, often.
    On my second trip, I missed my turn and was obviously some place I'd not been and was off track. I had to drive further than I wanted, before I found an exit, where I could turn around. I had gone through a tunnel, after getting off track. I got to the top of the off ramp and a fruit stand was advertising fruit sold by the pound and ounce.
    I was dumbfounded! As certain as I could be, I knew I had traveled north, the entire time. I could not imagine how I'd gotten back into the states, especially without crossing a border check.
    [​IMG]

11. Padre

Padre

Whitworth....
    and Lucas electrics :fred:

12. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Yup. Dick O'Kane pointed out that the Volvo of his day had inch, metric, and Whitworth fasteners; you needed three sets of tools.

OK, metricators, metric has been legal for trade since 1866, so use the French System and FORCE your customers to learn it.

The wine and liquor business was glad to metricate.
    A 750 ml bottle is slightly less than a "fifth" and 1.75 liter is well under half a gallon. It adds up.

13. SmithModelOne

SmithModelOne

I spent the first 26 years of my life in Canada and was thoroughly inculcated in the metric system.

Having lived Stateside for almost 20 years now, I'm fluent in both. It doesn't really bother me either way ... both systems get the job done.

Oddly, I tend to "think" temperatures in fahrenheit, but I prefer to wrench on vehicles that are tooled in metric.

For some interesting reading / viewing, look up the "Gimli Glider" on YouTube. It's a good example of the chaos that can ensue when a country switches from one system to another.

Mike

14. glock_collector

glock_collector

and dont even get me started on moa vs mil conversions.....

15. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

-40 degree is the same on both scales. How convenient, especially here in Phoenix.

16. Haldor

Thank goodness automotive switched to metric years ago.

I have both metric and SAE tools in my tool chest. Except for the Crescent wrench, the SAE tools are virtually unused.

"Hand me a 200mm adjustable wrench.

Will an 8" do?

I guess."

czsmithGT likes this.
  17. fx77

fx77 CLM

Gen formula is before factoring: F-32/180=C/100

Comfortable with both due to shop work and physics, chem and eng. courses.

18. Haldor

You are thinking of the Mars probe that landed a whole lot harder than intended.

The Hubble was screwed up the old fashioned way. A combination of arrogance and inappropriate penny pinching

19. Haldor

To all who care, the US has been on the metric system since 1893.

US customary units are the equivalent of measurement slang. The ignorant are allowed to use them, but they are not the official units of measure in the USA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendenhall_Order

I have spent virtually my entire working life in the measurement industry, I didn't know the origin of the fixed precision conversion of customery units into metric until relatively recently.

An inch is precisely 25.4 mm, this is not an approximation. And an avoirdepois pound is precisely 0.45359236 kg and both are equally defined as units of mass.

Common usage of lb as a unit of force is based on the force that gravity would exert on a 1 lb mass located somewhere on planet Earth at sea level on planet Earth. This is no different than the common usage of kg as a measurement of weight.

A bushel is defined as 2150.42 cubic inches. Don't you wish that engine displacement was specified in bushels instead of cubic inches or centimeters, just to confuse the unwary and annoy the enthusiasts?

That fire-breathing 440 cubic inch muscle car of our youth sounds positively puny as having a 0.2 bushel engine.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    DocCasualty likes this.
  20. ray9898

ray9898

I would rather use metric.....it is simply intuitive.

Haldor likes this.