U.S. Marines serving in Europe and North Africa

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bdcochran, Sep 26, 2020.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

tps://www.usmcu.edu/Portals/218/A Different War-Marines in Europe and North Africa%20 PCN 19000312500.pdf

I was trying to learn the names of the two US Marine officers killed in Calais, France during a 1945 German naval raid when I stumbled across this article - an interesting read.

Life and history is much more complicated than what is handed down in school or the movies.

There were things I knew about activities in Europe and I never a clue of activity in North Africa. I also didn't know about activities in the British Isles.

2. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Link no work. All I get is "Sorry, page not found".

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.

3. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Reminiscing of "The Rat Patrol". Weren't they in N.A.? Don't know if they were marines, though. No USN ships that I can remember.

4. Deltic

Deltic

They were not Americans, our Hollywood types just switched nationalities for the tv show.

"Originally called the Long Range Patrol (LRP), the unit was founded in Egypt in June 1940 by Major Ralph Alger Bagnold, acting under the direction of General Archibald Wavell. Bagnold was assisted by Captain Patrick Clayton and Captain William Shaw. At first, the majority of the men were from New Zealand, but they were soon joined by Southern Rhodesian and British volunteers, whereupon new sub-units were formed and the name was changed to the better-known Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). The LRDG never numbered more than 350 men, all of whom were volunteers."
    [​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Desert_Group

cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Thank you. Glad some are willing to share their knowledge of history. Too many of us base it on movies/TV.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  6. norton

norton

My Dad served in the U.S.A.A.F. in WW2. For a time he was stationed in Iceland. The Army was building air bases for the big bombers. The reasoning was if England were to fall to the Germans, Iceland was withing striking distance of the continent by B-17's and 24's. Hitler considered invading Iceland for this very reason but never did.
    Prior to the Army the Marine Corps had troops stationed at Iceland to repel any invasion.
    This was truly a World War.

7. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

The link in the OP is messed up, it is missing some characters and has some translation errors as well. @bdcochran

Inyo Tim likes this.
  8. bdcochran

bdcochran

ThatGuyYouKnow and cyberghostx13 like this.
  9. bdcochran

bdcochran

pdf file at www.usmc.edu A Different War-Marines in Europe and North Africa by Lt. Col. Harry Edwards.

If you are interested in WW2, find the audios and videos by Dr. Mark Felton on youtube. Like there were 40,000 Italian Army members in support of the allied forces in the fighting in Normandy.
    Or I have previously posted about the French invading Germany at the beginning of WW2.

You get told so many simplistic statements about history. It can be about WW2 or the causes of the American Civil. Even today, you get simplistic summarized news of rake news.

rotorhead1026 likes this.
  10. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

11. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Man that's the duty I would have wanted to serve as a marine during WW2. Meaningful yet civilized. Fighting in the Pacific was a hell of a thing.