close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

U.S. lawmakers launch push to repeal NAFTA

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Atlas, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

2. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

And it's about time to get it done after 17 years of that "sucking sound" of American jobs leaving that Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan warned us about during the 1992 presidential election cycle. The same sucking sound that Newt Gingrich helped to fast track through the House.

And hopefully Pelosi and Boehner have changed their minds about the legislation since 1993 and will help move the House to vote our withdrawl from this bad treaty.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

3. Bloodbought1

Bloodbought1

I totally agree. Get us out of this now!!!!

4. conservativenut

conservativenut

The sooner the better I have not seen anything good come out of NAFTA! :rofl:

5. frank4570

frank4570

So who is in favor of NAFTA? I know at some of the liberal discussion boards they are throwing a party at the thought of getting rid of it.
    So, if the conservatives hate it, and the liberals hate it, who the crap likes it?

6. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

The people who own a large number of our elected representatives.

7. frank4570

frank4570

There damned well does seem to be a hell of a lot of that going around these days.

8. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I kind of like it cause the few times I buy stuff from Amazon.ca I don't have to pay duty/custom fees. Beyond that, :dunno:

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I never did like the NAFTA/NAMBLA Treaty anyway it's well past time to jettison it..

10. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I'm certainly not an economics expert but I can't imagine our economy would have been worse if we didn't have NAFTA. Ross Perot was right on this one. We have lost much of our industrial base and many good paying jobs along with it. I'm not sure that this free trade is a good deal. Any economics majors in the house?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  11. Daynja

Daynja

I like the theory, but I can't comment on how it works in practice. Complaining about job loss is funny because it's admitting that someone else can do it better or cheaper.

12. rj1939

rj1939

Repealing NAFTA right now reminds me of the enacting of the Smoot/Hawley Tariff in the early years of the Depression. It was a popular bill to help companies in this country compete with foreign companies, but only made this country slip deeper into the Depression.

Having said that, I too believed that NAFTA would kill us........and it has, couldn't believe all the politicians that actually thought it would help us (or did they?.......) I'm tired of Chinese crap that breaks before it is even used.

Getting rid of it now (NAFTA) may lead to more inflation, of which we already are at tremendous risk. Yes, it needs to go, but how to do it?

13. rj1939

rj1939

It is tough to compete with "sweat shops".

14. F350

F350

NAFTA and about 3/4 of the onerous federal regulations and taxation that have strangled the life out of the US industrial/manufacturing for the past 30 years. We lost the iron and steel industry, as an example, long before NAFTA and it won't come back just by getting rid of NAFTA.

If you think NAFTA was bad for US employment, just see what happens if Card Check passes. Funny how the "progressives" love employment but hate employers, maybe they thing we should all work for the government.

15. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Free trade is good if there is a truely level playing field where everyone can compete fairly.

There nothing fair about third-world ****holes supplying borderline slave labor for manufacturing. Industrialized first-world nations with their standard of living can't compete against that.