U.S. hits highest single day of new coronavirus cases with more than 45,500, breaking April record

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by czsmithGT, Jun 25, 2020.

1. thewitt

thewitt

2. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

It might not be OK, but it's not as bad as the headline writers want you to think. If you look deeper at the data, the increases are among younger people so in most states the numbers testing positive are going up, but the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths are remaining constant or going down. Still has some explosive possibilities, but not that bad (yet).
    What interests me is that the numbers are jumping up among young people about a week after all of the major protests....

JK-linux, tm255, MtnBiker and 6 others like this.
  3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Now that the protests have started to ebb slightly, Covid is suddenly ramping back up.

4. nerr

nerr

Masks, social distancing, and self-quarantine have all failed (sarcasm emoji here). Embrace the suck.

5. JimWillson

JimWillson Victim of public education

Let’s compare to the flu. 45M flu illnesses in 2017-2018. Assuming 180 days in the flu season, 45M/180=250k cases a day on average. 45k doesn’t seem that much.

If we expect 60% to get the Wuhan flu, 300M*0.6/45K=4000 days - 11 years of Karentine.

6. Intolerant

Intolerant

I`m going into the bubble wrap business. That will be your new safe space closet. I promise there will be a breathing tube installed, or maybe not, but please do wrap yourself in the bubble wrap first. Hold on a minute, let me get my roll of duct tape.

Seriously, what a crock of bulls__t. The mambi pambi`s are gonna have to start growing a set.
    No, wait, better off just staying home and out of the way. Some people, have jobs to do.

dkf, Redeemed, NJ1911 and 3 others like this.
  7. Taz

Taz

The numbers are irrelevant. What are you going to do to stop the spread? Lock down the economy for another 6 months. That worked wonders for the first 6 months of this year. We went from record employment and growth to record unemployment and recession if not depression. Close to $5TT of additional debt on the necks of the tax payers that did almost nothing to stem the tide of unemployment and recession.

So what’s the brilliant plan? Aside from crash the economy till the elections...

If you’re in a danger group protect yourself. If you can work from home do so. Otherwise people need to be back to work or this country dies from something other than a virus with a greater than 95% survival rate.

PatinAz, mc1911, tjc6156 and 15 others like this.
  8. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Because the mortality rate is different. I mean, if 30,000 people in the US caught Ebola, would you say that's all fine because way more people got the flu? We're over 3x the number of deaths from Covid which a much, much lower infection total (so far).

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza "

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  9. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Yes, let's compare to the flu. In 2017-18 those 45 million flu cases over 180 days resulted in 61,066 deaths. Over a 36 day period from March 24th to April 29th COVID-19 killed roughly the same number of Americans. It then managed to go on to double that death toll despite the biggest public health lock down in this nation's history and the onset of summer temperatures.

But the real problem isn't that it's at 45k new cases per day in the US, the problem is that it's at 45k new cases per day and accelerating, rapidly...

And if we assume a generously optimistic case fatality rate of 0.5% then that 300M * 0.6 * 0.005 comes out to 900,000 dead Americans. Probably higher, possibly double or even triple.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Here in Kentucky, the Democrats are blaming it on the small number of people who vacation in Myrtle Beach, because we know the thousands of protesters, packed shoulder to should in the streets while yelling and spraying spit all around cannot pass on a virus.

Not joking.

ktanative, norton, treg and 12 others like this.
  11. Geko45

The numbers are dead Americans. You are saying that dead Americans are irrelevant.

If you let it run rampant like Brazil then you're not going to have an economy left anyway.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Rizzo, treg, SevenSixtyTwo and 6 others like this.
  12. TeaDub

TeaDub

I've seen stats like that as well. Larger numbers of cases but younger and no big spike (yet) of medical services.

This COULD be the best route forward. We need to get herd immunity before winter and the return of regular flu. If a lot of younger people catch it earlier rather than later it may help. Most of us are going to get this thing. Spreading it out is what we are trying to do.

NJ1911, kiser64 and Orive 8 like this.
  13. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

14. thespork

thespork

Covid is not going to come here
    Well, it came here but it won't spread
    Well, it's spreading, but it's just a flu
    Well, lots of people are dying, but just in NYC and not "real" America...
    Well it's spreading in real America but nobody is dying.
    Meh, death is just part of life .

Rizzo, Trebore, treg and 6 others like this.
  15. Geko45

And don't forget, "If somebody wants to be tested right now, they'll be able to be tested."
    And, "So I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down, please.'"

Rizzo, Trebore, tacit mesa and 3 others like this.
  16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

The lefties had no interest in masks or the flu while burning looting and throwing bricks at police. Destroying businesses. I see pictures of people everywhere with masks hanging below their chin or at least below their nose... its a costume for virtue signaling. Nothing more.

The antifa and leftist radical crowd trying to destroy america and destroy trump is using the masks and virus as a floor show. Grow up people and understand the performance.

17. Geko45

Because the far left was being stupid does not mean you have to be stupid too.

Rizzo, Trebore, SevenSixtyTwo and 8 others like this.
  18. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I dont have the flu. And not hanging out with 1000 idiots in the street. I am being smart and not gotten sick

treg, NJ1911 and kiser64 like this.
  19. The Father

The Father

Hindsight is 50-50

We should have just done the mask deal instead of closing everything and destroying 20% of small business

treg, SevenSixtyTwo, quantico and 4 others like this.