U.N.'s leading panel on climate change has apologized for misleading data..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Rumor also has it that they are planning to announce there is no easter bunny. BOO! :supergrin:

2. canis latrans

canis latrans

3. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Pretty shoddy damage control. It's fun watching this hoax finally unravel.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Y'know who hasn't posted since 11-14-2009, 12:41? Hmmmm, when did the whole "oops, those weren't supposed to be published" come out?

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

It's Walterkkie isn't it??

:supergrin:

6. Paul_J

Paul_J

Foxnews has this article this morning. Dr. Rajendra Pachauri just threw the 25 authors of the report under the bus along with their pathetic Nobel Peace Prize.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583711,00.html

The Indian head of the U.N. climate change panel defended his position Friday even as further errors were identified in the panel's assessment of Himalayan glaciers.
    Dr. Rajendra Pachauri dismissed calls for him to resign over the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change’s[​IMG] retraction of a prediction that Himalayan glaciers could disappear by 2035.
    But he admitted that there may have been other errors in the same section of the report, and said that he was considering whether to take action against those responsible.
    “I know a lot of climate sceptics are after my blood, but I’m in no mood to oblige them,” he told The Times of London[​IMG] in an interview. “It was a collective failure by a number of people,” he said. “I need to consider what action to take, but that will take several weeks. It’s best to think with a cool head, rather than shoot from the hip.”
    The IPCC’s 2007 report, which won it the Nobel Peace Prize[​IMG], said that the probability of Himalayan glaciers “disappearing by the year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high."
    But it emerged last week that the forecast was based not on a consensus among climate change experts, but on a media interview with a single Indian glaciologist in 1999.

The IPCC admitted on Thursday that the prediction was “poorly substantiated” in the latest of a series of blows to the panel’s credibility.
    Pachauri said that the IPCC’s report was the responsibility of the panel’s co-chairs at the time, both of whom have since moved on.
    They were Dr. Martin Parry, a British scientist now at Imperial College London, and Dr. Osvaldo Canziani, an Argentine meteorologist[​IMG]. Neither was immediately available for comment.
    “I don’t want to blame them, but typically the working group reports are managed by the Co-Chairs,” Pachauri said. “Of course the Chair is there to facilitate things, but we have substantial amounts of delegation.”
    He declined to blame the 25 authors and editors of the erroneous part of the report, who included a Filipino, a Mongolian, a Malaysian, an Indonesian, an Iranian, an Australian and two Vietnamese.
    The “co-ordinating lead authors” were Rex Victor Cruz of the Philippines, Hideo Harasawa of Japan, Murari Lal of India and Wu Shaohong of China.
    But Syed Hasnain, the Indian glaciologist erroneously quoted as making the 2035 prediction, said that responsibility had to lie with them. “It is the lead authors — blame goes to them,” he told The Times. “There are many mistakes in it. It is a very poorly made report.”
    He and other leading glaciologists pointed out at least five glaring errors in the relevant section.
    It says the total area of Himalyan glaciers “will likely shrink from the present 500,000 to 100,000 square kilometers by the year 2035." There are only 33,000 square kilometers of glaciers in the Himalayas.
    Professor Hasnain, who was not involved in drafting the IPCC report, said that he noticed some of the mistakes when he first read the relevant section in 2008.
    That was also the year he joined The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in Delhi, which is headed by Dr Pachauri.
    He said he realised that the 2035 prediction was based on an interview he gave to the New Scientist magazine in 1999, although he blamed the journalist for assigning the actual date.
    He said that he did not tell Dr Pachauri because he was not working for the IPCC and was busy with his own programmes at the time.
    “I was keeping quiet as I was working here,” he said. “My job is not to point out mistakes. And you know the might of the IPCC. What about all the other glaciologists around the world who did not speak out?”
    Pachauri also said he did not learn about the mistakes until they were reported in the media about 10 days ago, at which time he contacted other IPCC members. He denied keeping quiet about the errors to avoid disrupting the UN summit on climate change in Copenhagen, or discouraging funding for TERI’s own glacier program.

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

These people were getting paid for their work. The knowingly reported incorrect data which resulted in their getting more money. They created the impression of a danger to public safety and health for the purpose of getting more money. Why are there no criminal charges?

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

Translation: "We knew the British scientists were lying all along. Hell, OUR scientists were lying all along. It amuses us to no end as we watch conservatives tremble with rage and shout "You eggheads are FOS!" in front of the world press. It's not often we get to look calm and rational in front of the cameras. If those cursed Brits could remember how to wipe a hard drive we wouldn't be standing here with our hats in our hands AGAIN."

9. canis latrans

canis latrans

and in his honor, I post the following:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Just read a Fox news piece on this and noticed that you cannot comment on the story. Probably some techo/legal reason since it is an AP credit.

I also want to propose a change in terminology. I am not a Climate Change Skeptic or a Climate Change Denier. I insist on being refereed to as a Climate Change Fraud Victim.