Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some emergency tube tents for the packs and see there's some 8' tube tents on Amazon for $8-10. I can't imagine these being more than a thin garbage bag that is red and 8' long.

Other than it being white and noisy, would a tube tent fabricated from Tyvek house wrap work?

· Registered
213 Posts
Buy a roll of heavy duty plastic Visqueen (Spelled wrong I bet). It will cover windows damaged in storms, patch a leaking room, and with a piece of this and a roll of duct tape, you can roll a piece if it to make a tent, tape it together, and throw a sheet over as a rain/snow cover. Cheap, multi use and cut it to your size.
That or buy cheap tarps at wallyworld and do the same thing.

· Registered
2,736 Posts
Good ultralite tarp + ground cover for the I don't want to pack a hefty tent but want a decent tent tent. Lurk ebay or at the end of the AT for a steal.

I've worn a Tyvek suit in a chemical enviroment and can tell you that they are not that durable at all. Hope this helps.
Yeah. Working I used to shred the white and even heavier yellow tyveks we used too fast. Better than nothing.

· Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
Good ultralite tarp + ground cover for the I don't want to pack a hefty tent but want a decent tent tent. Lurk ebay or at the end of the AT for a steal.

Yeah. Working I used to shred the white and even heavier yellow tyveks we used too fast. Better than nothing.
Camping/hiking season is pretty much over. Some places linger until after after bow hunting season, but pretty much everything should be on sale now.

I have used tyvek in the past for camping a such. It does not breath at all meaning you will cook under it if you make a tube or A frame shelter in the summer, however its great tarp material. The trick to making it more flexable and less noisy is to wash it in a washing machine at least once. I use it mostly for a ground cover for my tent, and I am planning to use it as a wind barrier inside my hammock tent to keep my butt warm in the winter.

If you can get it for free, get it. whatever you do, don't pay for it. For the price of a roll of tyvek, just get a regular nylon tarp. Walmart has them for reals cheap in there camping section where they sell Mountain house and compass and such. Not the blue plastic tarps you can get at home depot, but a 7 foot nylon tarp that is the size of your closed fist hanging on the pegs.

· Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
Ok...................

Does anyone have any other suggestions for emergency tube tents?
http://www.rei.com/product/768984/coghlans-tube-tent

These tents are cheap, one shot tents that are OK in emergencies. Here is a video. Its Nutnfancy so you got to fast forward 30 minutes of BS, to get to him setting it up. Get the Coghlan one, the Stansport one is actually flimsy-er if that is even a word. Its about the same size and weight as a thicker magazine (think Swimsuit Edition).

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/c/79BCB3ABDD20B31C/15/4OVQar48Y8k

For $10 it has everything you need, the tent, line, pegs, etc. I don't like the color, but honestly what I use it for is something to shove in my daypack when I'm hiking. If I am pulling this out, and setting it up, something is definately wrong and I need someone to find me.

For my GHB I use a dark colored poncho for rain protection and as an emergency shelter.

Here is a few other cheap tents. Both suck for regular camping but will do in a pinch in an emergency. Honestly for another +$50 you can get some decent tents on sale.Something you can actually use for dare I say.....CAMPING.

Stansport scout tent. You will cook in this plastic tent.
http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Scout-Backpack-Tent-2-Person/dp/B0006V2B2I

Here is a youtube video. Check this guys vids they are pretty good, it also shows the tent will fail in a bad rain storm
http://www.youtube.com/user/Justaguyinnc#p/u/20/pKgIoWYKwuY

Lightweight small cheap, but not real waterproof. Hit this with waterproofing spray before you pack it away.
http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Current-Hiker-Two-Person-Tent/dp/B004LZEXXK/ref=pd_sbs_sg2

· Registered
15,897 Posts
Of course an $8-1$10 tube tent is essentially a one shot deal. The only item close in price is a piece of plastic and some 550 cord or cheap tarp. I have those.

The next step up isn't a tent. It would be a surplus WWII sniper smock or a reproduction WWII German paratrooper smock. More ulitarian. You can lie down in place and have a smock and quasi sleeping bag.

The surplus WWII gi tents aren't around anymore. They weigh of course.

Provide me with a Wiggy's sleeping bag (slept naked at over 10,000 feet) and a head cover and I am fine. If you are concerned about rain, add some plastic.

Another alternative is to get a gi poncho and sew the linner to it. I have a couple of those. Keeps the rain off.

If you want a quality tent, substantially more than $8-$10 look at the Wiggy offerings.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

· Señor Member
7,908 Posts
A lot of backpackers frown on anyone who would use a tube tent, because they so often get trashed and left behind by the end of the night. Probably a little bit of gearsnobbery involved, but doesn't speak well to their durability, and suggests that there are better options.

I did know a guy who made Tyvek groundcloths for his friends. For that purpose, he said it worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.