close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Typical FFL transfer fees..

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by floridag23, May 23, 2004.

1. floridag23

floridag23 Senior Member

What are typical FFL fees lately and does anyone know of some close to Gainesville, FL or Jacksonville?

Also, one local FFL said his fee was $25 plus tax on the handgun purchase. Are they allowed to charge tax for an item not purchased from them? Is this customary?

2. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

My local Bass Pro charges $30 for their FFL. I believe I could get it for $5 cheaper at a couple of other places, but they're reliable and easy to access.

However, they DO NOT charge sales tax (and they shouldn't). Maybe it's mandated by your state...or maybe they're trying to make some extra money.

3. Alexit

Alexit

In Wisconsin it was $25 plus the $14 for the background check, all of them had to charge sales tax on the $25...

4. CovertOps

CovertOps Stealth Member

Here in Texas they also charge tax on the transfer fee. Fortunately my FFL is extremely fair; $16.24 ($15 fee + $1.24 tax)...and I can live with that ;f

5. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

I don't have a problem with the FFL charging tax on their service fee ($30 for me), but to charge tax on the gun they didn't sell seems outrageous.

6. robomanusa

robomanusa

I don't see how they can charge you sales tax on the gun. The guns I've had transfered in the dealer had no idea what I even paid for them.

If your dealer is charging you sales tax on the guns you purchase out of state, just tell him from now on its a gift being transferred in from a friend...and no money was exchanged(he dont need to know that anyways)

--Nick

7. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

FFL fees up to $25 are fair in FL.

They absolutely cannot charge tax on an item purchased out of state. Services are not taxable in FL, so you should pay only the transfer fee plus the fee for the background check ($5 or $8 depending on kind of check).

If they insist on charging sales tax ask them to verify it with FL Dept of Revenue... if they won't or say that DOR says they have to charge tax, find a different FFL.

8. csr

csr Suppress it

Wow I didn't know FFL transfer fees were so high. I currently pay $10 with no tax added. I would consider looking around a bit more. I would call up a few pawn shops in your area. I used to pay $15 at a pawn shop in Atlanta, and now my Class 3 dealer charges me $10 for my non-NFA transfers. He also mails out guns for me cheap also. Only FFL holders can ship USPS which apparently is the cheapest way to ship firearms.
    Thanks
    Nimesh

PS Now without a CCW you are going to have to pay for a background check usually $5.

9. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Wish I'd known that a few years ago. I had Action Gun in Orange Park do the transfer for my PreBan Colt 6601 lower and they charged me tax. I'd been warned about it and when they asked me how much I paid for it I told them something like $200.

10. robomanusa

robomanusa

You should never be charged tax for receiving a bought item outside your state unless in some cases the company you buy from does have a store location in your home state, then depending on state laws they can charge you sales tax.

Just tell your FFL dealer..."It's a gift from a friend"... they dont need to know the cost of the item, it's none of there business. If they dont like the its a gift line, then tell them you paid $1.00 for it.... ;f

--Nick

11. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I pay $25 at my favorite shop, however most places in CA charge considerably more.

12. Maximaking

Maximaking

In KY I'm paying $15 usually sometimes I get lucky and it's $10 if it comes from a dealer across the bridge in IN to a shop in KY where they have an agreement to take care of each other's customers. At this price shopping online is a good deal

13. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

$10 transfers from my FFL.

No tax unless the dealer actually places the order (and pays) for the firearm before selling it to you.

14. HAWK11K

HAWK11K Take'em Down!

Some gun dealers here in central Florida charge $50 for a transfer.
    :(

;l

15. Jon17

Jon17

$15 - no tax in N.W. Ohio. About 3 times that at the range I shoot at. They want to sell their overpriced stock.

16. steveamy

steveamy

$15 here. He normally charges $20, but I've been a regular there for a few years.:)

The dealer I used to go to charged me sales tax once.....once!

17. liliysdad

liliysdad NRA Life Member

I have never paid for a transfer.